Small speakers required. Must be special.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
MrM said:
d21se_t_noshade.jpg

Swan D2.1SE+

this Swan stuff is interesting!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Craig M. said:
get the adm9s. a seriously neat solution and you might be suprised by the sound quality.

so far ADMs are the most interesting. but I really want to look at some cheaper pro active monitors - I think they can be brilliant value for money (like the ADMs, too), but I do not know much abouth the pro monitors...

T

the record spot

How much of the price tag covers off the design statement element?

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Does it have to be a stand mount? The new spendor A3 is tiny as is the Totem Arro and Neat Motive 2. Both those don't have the killer looks. Perhaps B&W 805s? Not my favorite but they look gorgeous.

Cheers : o)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
jaxwired said:
Does it have to be a stand mount? The new spendor A3 is tiny as is the Totem Arro and Neat Motive 2. Both those don't have the killer looks. Perhaps B&W 805s? Not my favorite but they look gorgeous.

Cheers : o)

yes, standmounts. b&w 805... over budget. way over.

John Duncan

Have to vote for my PMCs (the walnut is lovely), though the DALIs are also gorgeous (though I didn't like them personally). The ADMs are of course an option but they didn't have enough bass for me on their own. The Neat Petite SXes are fantastic, but to my mind don't meet the aesthetic brief. YMMV.

A good point has been made about the Denon not being up to the job for some of the speakers being discussed...

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Messiah said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Craig M. said:
get the adm9s. a seriously neat solution and you might be suprised by the sound quality.

so far ADMs are the most interesting. but I really want to look at some cheaper pro active monitors - I think they can be brilliant value for money (like the ADMs, too), but I do not know much abouth the pro monitors...

What about EPOZ Aktimate Maxi?

interesting, but - not active, no spdif input.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Have to vote for my PMCs (the walnut is lovely), though the DALIs are also gorgeous (though I didn't like them personally). The ADMs are of course an option but they didn't have enough bass for me on their own. The Neat Petite SXes are fantastic, but to my mind don't meet the aesthetic brief. YMMV.

A good point has been made about the Denon not being up to the job for some of the speakers being discussed...

yes, important point, which points me more and more to SB Touch + active speakers. I also share your concern re bass - never heard them but suspect they may sound lean.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Have to vote for my PMCs (the walnut is lovely)

I have heard PMC DB1is and GB1is with a NaimUniti and also with other Naim (and non-Naim) equipment and they are excellent with a unique bass quality that is very addictive (even if transmission line loudspeakers aren't supposed to work properly in small sizes :) )

I may even take up a certain Gramophone magazine review suggestion and try them with my M-CR603 one day.

If I do get them, they will be in Oak and fixed on the walls (with PMC brackets) because I hate stands.

chebby said:
John Duncan said:
Have to vote for my PMCs (the walnut is lovely)

I have heard PMC DB1is and GB1is with a NaimUniti and also with other Naim (and non-Naim) equipment and they are excellent with a unique bass quality that is very addictive (even if transmission line loudspeakers aren't supposed to work properly in small sizes :) )

I may even take up a certain Gramophone magazine review suggestion and try them with my M-CR603 one day.

If I do get them, they will be in Oak and fixed on the walls (with PMC brackets) because I hate stands.

Sorry for going off topic.

Chebby, if you hate stands but love the DB1 sound then perhaps the GB1is. Take up no more room and you can site them away from the wall, unlike brackets.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Indeed. But bargain ex-demo and used DB1is are far more affordable to me. (£450 - £650 typically.)

I prefer loudspeakers to go near the wall anyway. The room is for people. Loudspeakers should know their place :)

I have tamed the proliferation of boxes and cables and I won't have any encroachment again. (I am enjoying the extra room too much.)

Messiah

AlmaataKZ said:
Messiah said:
AlmaataKZ said:
Craig M. said:

What about EPOZ Aktimate Maxi?

interesting, but - not active, no spdif input.

True only one speaker is active and powers the second but this is all you would need.

Does the Squeezebox have analogue out? You could use that. I would be suprised if there was much difference in quality.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
shooter69 said:
Phi3_pair_webjpg.png

GamuT Phi 3.

I like the looks but being Gamut they will be very expensive, won't they? I would like to get into 'very good value' territory.

Top end of the budget, in and around 1.5k depending on finish.

The GamuT range is a quality product with years of in house driver and cabinet design, how do you define 'very good value'?

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
shooter69 said:
AlmaataKZ said:
shooter69 said:
Phi3_pair_webjpg.png

GamuT Phi 3.

I like the looks but being Gamut they will be very expensive, won't they? I would like to get into 'very good value' territory.

Top end of the budget, in and around 1.5k depending on finish.

The GamuT range is a quality product with years of in house driver and cabinet design, how do you define 'very good value'?

good value - as close to the lower end of the budget while still having excellent sound and functionality. Gamut will be rare and difficult to audition?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts