Small Floorstanders to replace Auditor Ms

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi there, I have had my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms for a couple of years now and love the sound they produce. However, I need to replace them with a small floorstander as they are a little too tall on stands for my small HK apartment. I also want to go for a simpler look (I know a lot of people like the SF styling but I am not a fan).

Can anyone suggest some viable alternatives? From a styling point of view - the Neat Acoustics Elite SX (I guess this would be a significant hit on sound quality?) or PMC GB1 are pretty much what I am aiming for. Proac D20R (or even D18) is an option I guess- (though I don't love the look of the Proac veneers).

Soundwise -I'd prefer something similar to the SF (sweet midrange, bass that isnt overpowering, suited to a small to medium sized room and not too fussy about placement) but happy to consider anything.

Thanks for any advice you can give to help me shortlist a few contenders.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
DeimosNZ said:
Hi there, I have had my Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor Ms for a couple of years now and love the sound they produce. However, I need to replace them with a small floorstander as they are a little too tall on stands for my small HK apartment.

You're among friends here. No need to go making excuses. Just come out and say you've got an upgrade itch and want some floorstanders. Otherwise you might get silly suggestions like using shorter stands ;)

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I love my Auditor M's and would really struggle to find something to replace them with (except maybe the Guarneri's *biggrin* ). For their size, they really are extraordinary in terms of bass delivery and clear, smooth, detailed yet relaxing sound.

Why don't you just uncouple the speakers from their stands and place them on a shorter stand? This would also tighten up the styling as I find it's the stands that make the overall design so 'dynamic'.

You may take a slight hit on SQ by doing this, but looking for another speaker when you're already happy with what you've got is, IMO, much more risky.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
I love my Auditor M's and would really struggle to find something to replace them with (except maybe the Guarneri's  *biggrin* ). For their size, they really are extraordinary in terms of bass delivery and clear, smooth, detailed yet relaxing sound.

Why don't you just uncouple the speakers from their stands and place them on a shorter stand? This would also tighten up the styling as I find it's the stands that make the overall design so 'dynamic'.

You may take a slight hit on SQ by doing this, but looking for another speaker when you're already happy with what you've got is, IMO, much more risky.
I was thinking the same thing, though gave some alternatives in case the OP was not for turning.

@OP

Another very left-field and slightly bonkers suggestion (which I haven't heard) would be:

Deuvel Enterprise - http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/the-duevel-enterprise-loudspeaker/

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Infiniteloop said:
I love my Auditor M's and would really struggle to find something to replace them with (except maybe the Guarneri's *biggrin* ). For their size, they really are extraordinary in terms of bass delivery and clear, smooth, detailed yet relaxing sound.

I was thinking the same thing, though gave some alternatives in case the OP was not for turning.

@OP

Another very left-field and slightly bonkers suggestion (which I haven't heard) would be:

Deuvel Enterprise - http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/the-duevel-enterprise-loudspeaker/

Visually, I'd take the Auditor M's over these.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Possible other contenders:

Diapason Neo
Audio Note AZ2 (works in corners)
Spendor A6R/A5R
Rega RX5
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 (or Toy Tower if you can find it, as discontinued)
Kef R500

What is the rest of your system?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
This is a real challenge. Having owned SF Cremona Auditor Ms for a year or so I can't think of a smaller speaker that gets anywhere near them. Certainly the PMC Gb1s don't (I've owned them too).

I moved from the Cremonas to the Vivid V1.5s, which are 50% more expensive (I got an ex-demo pair though) and do represent quite a significant step up. However, their strengths are very different from the Cremonas': more transparent, less forgiving.

Andrew's (infiniteloop) suggestion of replacing the stands is a bright idea, though I suspect the weight of the Cremonas' stands do contribute something to their sound.

As Cno says, a pair of SF Toy towers would be a possibility (if you can find them). You might also consider the new SF Chameleon range wihch look (superficially) a bit like the Toy range. (I haven't heard them).

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
This is a real challenge. Having owned SF Cremona Auditor Ms for a year or so I can't think of a smaller speaker that gets anywhere near them. Certainly the PMC Gb1s don't (I've owned them too).

I moved from the Cremonas to the Vivid V1.5s, which are 50% more expensive (I got an ex-demo pair though) and do represent quite a significant step up. However, their strengths are very different from the Cremonas': more transparent, less forgiving.

Andrew's (infiniteloop) suggestion of replacing the stands is a bright idea, though I suspect the weight of the Cremonas' stands do contribute something to their sound.

As Cno says, a pair of SF Toy towers would be a possibility (if you can find them). You might also consider the new SF Chameleon range wihch look (superficially) a bit like the Toy range. (I haven't heard them).

I have tried my Auditors on Focal stands and they still sound great, so maybe the OP would lose a little SQ or maybe they would just sound a little 'different' depending on which stands he settled for.

DeimosNZ

Feb 10, 2008
Visit site
Thanks all,

The Toy Towers arent an option for me - I initially was looking to buy these when I decided to audition the Auditor Ms and to my ears the Ms were vastly better. The Rega Rx5s look interesting (quite a lot more expensive that the old Rs5s - i'd be keen to see how they sound).

Smaller stands is a good option if I cant find a tower that ticks all my boxes.

My other kit is: Music First Audio passive pre-amp, Bel Canto power amp, Chord Qute Dac and Cayin CD player (and soon possibly a Cyrus streamer)

Thanks again.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Just replaced some SF Venere 2.5 with these. This was his email after having them for a month. The SF are very classy though.

olin,

sorry to have taken so long with this feedback but I hope you can use it.

I initially met Colin when I bought an Abrahamsen V40 UP amplifier off him and went round to his house to audition it. I was so impressed with the amp I bought it there and then. He was using a pair of IPL S2TLK which he had built and, on listening to them I was absolutely blown away. I asked to borrow them for a listen at home and Colin was willing to oblige in his usual helpful way, so I brought them to my home and set them up. I had at the time a pair of Sonus Faber Venere 2.5s which I had been using for about a year and up until that point was very pleased with them-up until listening to the IPLs in my living room that is. The IPLs were clearer in the bid range, the treble was sweet and precise and the base was lower, tighter and quicker, lots lower. I was so taken with them that I ordered a pair which I have now had for about a month and the more I listen to them, the more I like em. The finish is exactly as ordered and to a high quality (even my partner likes them), and the sound continues to amaze me. I have not heard anything to approach these even at two or three times the price or more. Needless to s

wGwGVlBl.jpg
ay I am very impressed and after many years of being a HiFi upgrader I really don’t know where I would go next to find anything that sounded better without spending silly money. These are fantastic speakers.

Mark.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts