Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Update on my set up is as follows
PM8005 Integrated Amplifier
B&W 601 S3 on speaker A
B&W 707 S2 on speaker B
Meridian 508 20 bit CD player connected with
Chord Company Clearway Analogue 2 RCA to 2 RCA
(also) Meridian 206 CD Player connected to aux with Van Damme Rean Neutrik plugs 2 RCA to 2 RCA
Silver Anniversary Speaker Wires.
Am I the only Hi-Fi nut with 2 CDPs. (It's no different to CDP + Record Deck or Cassette Deck sort of !?!IMG_20230804_010109.jpg)

Attachments

• IMG_20230804_010109.jpg
    IMG_20230804_010109.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Update on my set up is as follows
View attachment 4988 PM8005 Integrated Amplifier
B&W 601 S3 on speaker A
B&W 707 S2 on speaker B
Meridian 508 20 bit CD player
Chord Company Clearway Analogue 2 RCA to 2 RCA
Silver Anniversary Speaker Wires.
When the builders have gone, this'll all go into the living room and be set up in a more appropriate space. Right now we're living in the kitchen. Put "The Doors" on, turn up the volume. All the various teams of builders seem to love "The Doors".
View attachment 4989
So how does it sound ?you pleased with the new kit?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Yes thanks I am. However
Hello "hifi", thanks for asking. Now the warm glow of happiness is wearing thin, I have noticed that because I'm very anxious in the last few days my opinion on what I'm hearing is now flooded with the light of a more critical reasoning.
The building work has stalled and I'm feeling as though I'm being ignored and messed about by the work overseer, and I don't know at this point what to do
I think I've been somewhat impulsive with my hi-fi acquisitions. My lack of experience and opportunities to test gear or listen to different kit hasn't aided my impulsive nature. Of course the equipment I have is pretty good but, I think I could and should have done better for my money. The 707 speakers are unescessarily small for my large living space which I believe compromises their warmth and bass extension. I think, in addition that I should have waited saved a little more and gone for a PM8006 amplifier rather than the '5'. And running two sets of speakers at once hasn't done any harm but was rash and pointless I think. I'm happy with the CD players. I think I'll be selling some gear and researching more next time I buy anything. Apologies for the lengthy post.

WayneKerr

Yes thanks I am. However

Hello "hifi", thanks for asking. Now the warm glow of happiness is wearing thin, I have noticed that because I'm very anxious in the last few days my opinion on what I'm hearing is now flooded with the light of a more critical reasoning.
The building work has stalled and I'm feeling as though I'm being ignored and messed about by the work overseer, and I don't know at this point what to do
I think I've been somewhat impulsive with my hi-fi acquisitions. My lack of experience and opportunities to test gear or listen to different kit hasn't aided my impulsive nature. Of course the equipment I have is pretty good but, I think I could and should have done better for my money. The 707 speakers are unescessarily small for my large living space which I believe compromises their warmth and bass extension. I think, in addition that I should have waited saved a little more and gone for a PM8006 amplifier rather than the '5'. And running two sets of speakers at once hasn't done any harm but was rash and pointless I think. I'm happy with the CD players. I think I'll be selling some gear and researching more next time I buy anything. Apologies for the lengthy post.
Can't see where you've been impulsive, and I really doubt the differences between the PM8005 and 8006 are much, if any at all. What size room do you have your speakers in and how is it furnished?

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Can't see where you've been impulsive, and I really doubt the differences between the PM8005 and 8006 are much, if any at all. What size room do you have your speakers in and how is it furnished?
Well it's an old style kitchen. It's about 12ft by 10ft. It's got flag stone tiles with makeshift carpets on top. A Rayburn to the left of the speakers and wooden kitchen cupboards opposite. Quite a high ceiling. Two chairs not much soft furnishings.I guess I might just be having a bad day because it all sounded fine a week ago. Something else I noticed today is the very variable quality of recording with classical music. The Mozart I was listening to recorded in 1957 sounded rather trebly and frantic, it seems to lack mid range. After that, I listened to Rachmaninoff recorded 1990 and it was much nicer, more depth, more three dimensional sounding. I'm encouraged by your thoughts on the PM8005 and 6.

WayneKerr

Slightly smaller than my lounge, (but I have a low ceiling), some hard surfaces and sparsely furnished so could sound a little shouty/bright with possibly some bass-boom too. Also could have just been a bad day, John, as I firmly believe emotions play a major role in how we hear and respond to music. Poor recordings are also suspects.

I would put money on the fact you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the PM8005-6 if blindfolded.

I've got small speakers on my set-up and they work exceptionally well, don't have much in the way of bass but I feel the weight is just right.

Have a look here for speaker placement: Cardas might give you some ideas to play with. Try separately with both pairs, standmounts and floorstanders and see which set wins, or keep both going.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Slightly smaller than my lounge, (but I have a low ceiling), some hard surfaces and sparsely furnished so could sound a little shouty/bright with possibly some bass-boom too. Also could have just been a bad day, John, as I firmly believe emotions play a major role in how we hear and respond to music. Poor recordings are also suspects.

I would put money on the fact you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the PM8005-6 if blindfolded.

I've got small speakers on my set-up and they work exceptionally well, don't have much in the way of bass but I feel the weight is just right.

Have a look here for speaker placement: Cardas might give you some ideas to play with. Try separately with both pairs, standmounts and floorstanders and see which set wins, or keep both going.
Hello again, thanks for your suggestions, I appreciate it. I'll check Cardas out as well. I'll keep going... cheers 👍🏻

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
Yes thanks I am. However

Hi JDL no reason fo apologies wait until the works are finished and you move the set up back too the living room im sure it will sound better with better speaker placement .🤞

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi JDL no reason fo apologies wait until the works are finished and you move the set up back too the living room im sure it will sound better with better speaker placement .🤞
Cheers.....Thank you.

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Today, I feel better. The sounds, sound good today. I think that a crappy recording quality can't be made to sound any better than it is, and when hearing it, (a crappy recording that is,) best not to blame the set up. Being fairly new to my love of classical on CD I'm gaining experience in hearing the progress of recording quality as we go from the 1940s onwards. It's very interesting. In addition, having added the 206 to the set up, I can use either the 508.20 or the 206 depending on how I feel and what I'm listening to. These are both great sounding players, with slightly different sounds.IMG_20230810_015005.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WayneKerr

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
I decided to buy some stands for the B&W 707 S2 speakers. They cost me £30 from eBay and I think they look rather nice supporting the 707s. And as much to the point, these speakers are now at a more sensible height. The 602 S3 speakers are in storage. I think with these 707s bi-wired and the amp running at 8 ohms instead of the 4 ohms with 2 sets running, and on a lower output the sound is sweeter. Additionally, I think these B&W 707 S2 speakers have taken a fair bit of running in, they're sounding nicer as time goes on. Considering their somewhat diminutive size, the weight and depth of sound and the authority, the dynamics are impressive. They're certainly growing on me. I'm beginning to think they're a fantastic little speaker especially for the price Peter Tyson's were selling them for.

Reactions: WayneKerr

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts