Sky HD picture quality

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI I STARTED WATCHING SKY HD MOVIES THIS MORNING, ON MY SAMSUNG PVR, AND FULL DEF PANASONIC 37" LCD..... BUT THE PICTURE ON ALL THE FILMS I LOOKED AT, LOOKED RUBBISH.....NOT ONE OF THEM LOOKED LIKE HIGH DEFINITION ! IS IT MY EYES ? OR HAS SKY REDUCED ITS PICTURE QUALITY THE SAME AS BBC ????

davejberry

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Does your Samsung record in HD? What connections do you use to send the picture from the Sky HD box to the Samsung?

Are you sure that the film was HD material, I heard somewhere that not all the programming broadcast on Sky's HD channels is HD to start with.

A

Anonymous

Hi, it's a normal Sky Hd box (Samsung).... using HDMI ,and Chord silver plus HDMI cable....... To be honest with you, the HD channels dont look too bad now..... but SD is looking rubbish ! Is it me ???? Or SKY ? Picture looks better on freeview

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
Have you set the resolution ouput on your Sky box to Auto? Sky boxes are rubbish at upscaling, I would let the TV do it instead.

A

Anonymous

I dont think so...as Im only using the hdmi connections ( 2 Chord silver plus HDMI)

A

Anonymous

Hi Pindi.... That sounds a very good idea,iI will try That straight away

A

Anonymous

Pindi..... Are you saying that sky output resolution SHOULD be set to automatic? Or should be set to 1080i ??? And will my full HD Pansonic LCD set the resolution automatically?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sky should be set to Auto, if you set it to 1080i then you're asking the Sky box to upscale SD pictures, which is what it's not very good at, setting it to auto outputs the SD channels at 576p, your TV will then upscale them automatically.

A

Anonymous

But is there a way of getting rid of that godawful delay when switching from SD to HD broadcasts (or vice versa) when output is set to auto? I find it so annoying.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I personally would rather put up with the delay caused having the box set to AUTO over the frankly rubish upscaling ability of the Sky HD box

A

Anonymous

Presumably the alternative is to have your amp upscale (Denon 2310 in my case).

I've heard that my TV's (Philips 9664) upscaling is 'soft' and would like to try the Denon upscaling. Unfortunately, the Denon user guide is pants.I wonder if anyone is able to advise on settings to achieve upscaling via the Denon.

Thanks

LL

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Just checked my output on my HD box. Changed it to auto from 1080i to let the Denon 2310 do the scaling. Have to say, the PQ has improved dramatically on both HD and SD. I have noticed though, a delay in receiving the picture when changing from a SD channel to a HD one and visa versa. I presume this the HDMI handshake issue mentioned in other posts?

A

Anonymous

Hi pete.g,

Have you set your 2310 to upscale? If not, when the Sky box is set to auto, the default setting on the 2310 is to pass through the signal untouched and leave upscaling to to the TV.

Cheers

LL

pete.g

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi LL

You are right. The 2310 is set to auto which is leaving the upscaling to the Pioneer. Do you think the TV will do a better job?

I will play around with it and see what happens.

Cheers

A

Anonymous

I don't think you can really seek advise on what provides the best picture. It can depend on so many variables within all our different set ups.

I would recommend trying various combinations (e.g. different Sky box outputs in conjunction with upscaling via Sky box/amp/TV to determine what works best for you.

Having said that, I think we'd all be really interested to hear what others think as there may be some sort of common denominator.

Cheers

LL

A

Anonymous

I seem to be the only one who finds the picture worse if I set the Sky box to Auto. I've tried it several times and there is no dramatic improvement everyone seems to talk about as I say it looks worse if anything. By the way I have an Amstrad box.

A

Anonymous

I have one of the new 500GB Amstrad boxes and, to be honest, I'm struggling to see any discernible difference when switching output between 'Automatic' and '1080i'.

Could it be that the upscaling on the new boxes has been improved?

LL

A

Anonymous

My tv is a Panasonic 42G10 and I couldn't put up with the poor quality of the SD on my new SkyHD, went through a few settings with the a Sky engineer on the phone, had an engineer come round, they couldn't improve the quality on my Amstrad box. So I cancelled the HD pack and got Sky to re-install my old Sky+ though a scart.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
footydad:My tv is a Panasonic 42G10 and I couldn't put up with the poor quality of the SD on my new SkyHD, went through a few settings with the a Sky engineer on the phone, had an engineer come round, they couldn't improve the quality on my Amstrad box. So I cancelled the HD pack and got Sky to re-install my old Sky+ though a scart.

As I asked the last time you said this and didn't get an answer, did you try setting the Sky output to Auto to let your TV do the upscaling?

A

Anonymous

PINDI....hi, Yes pic quality has improved iI think on SD......and i can live with the slight delays when changing channels

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Out of interest, are people advising to set output to 'Automatic' based on experiences with the new Amstrad boxes or is this all historical?

As my previous post, I don't find a significant difference between output setting of 'Automatic' and '1080i' on my new 500Gb Amstrad Sky+ HD box.

It'd be interesting to know if they've improved the upscaling capabilities on the new boxes.

Cheers

LL

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts