Sky HD Lock ups

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
I've had a Sky HD box since April and although generally happy with it I'm becoming a little concerned about the amount of times it has frozen or locked up, requiring it to be disconnected from the mains to reset it. This has happened about 5 times since I've had it, and annoyingly has caused failed recordings on all occasions. I know that this averages out at only one lockup every 2-3 weeks, but do other users experience the same level of problem or do I have a particularly duff unit.

Andy TW

Jul 13, 2007
Visit site
The Sky HD box (I have one) appears to have some problems when simultaneously recording and re-playing recorded HD content.
I found that most of the problems I was having were cured by turning off the instant rewind feature as this reduces the ongoing harddisk access.
Generally I found that when recording an HD program then you should avoid doing anything which needs regular access to the hard drive i.e watching Sky Anytime/recorded programs especially where the watched program is in HD.
If you don't use it then turning off Sky Anytime is also worthwhile.

A

Anonymous

I have had Sky HD for about a month now and have been experiencing difficulties roughly 2-3 times a week. ÿIt either does not come on at all even though the green light is on, and then I cannot turn it off, it just freezes, or it is set to record a program but just doesn't record even if I manually press record. ÿIt has deleted 2 series links (one being Heroes which I was absolutely fuming about) and I have had at least 5 failed recordings due to power failure even though I happen to be watching Sky when this so called power failure occurs. I spoke to Sky who talked me through some 'housekeeping' which has not made any difference whatsoever. ÿBasically I have been very unhappy with the Sky HD box as my Sky+ box never displayed problems even after considerable use.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Looks like my box is pretty much par for the course - no wonder they've felt oliged to reduce the cost by £100.

I also have a specific issue that I would be interested to see if anyone can replicate. When I am recording a HD programme and also watching it live, if I then use the "live pause" function neither the "live" version or the recorded version will play properly until the recording has finished. I discovered this by chance when watching and also recording "Wild China". I had to pause it half way through for a couple of minutes, and then had to wait until the program had ended before being able to carry on watching it.

A

Anonymous

I'm on my second box now and the new one has the exact same issues, basically everything you have read in this thread, as the first one-and what's worse for me is that the lip sync seems to drift-goes out of sync and them comes back again without any adjustment or input from me. But overall it's fantastic-been watching Wimbledon on BBC HD yesterday-WOW!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts