Letter / email from Sky - HD Box issue

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi,

I have had a letter and email (good communication I suppose) from Sky saying that their may be an issue with my relatively new Sky +HD 2TB box (latest up to date box).

It goes on to say that their might be an issue with my hard drive recording ability and I need to do a master reset. This will wipe everything I have recorded on my planner (which is already quite a lot) and although they are very apologetic, this has annoyed me greatly.

The hard drive appears to be recording perfectly and I have no issues so far (with any of it's facilities, not just recording).

Has anyone else had a letter ?

I am miffed already and thinking of having a winge at them.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
What sort of issue? If you're not having any problems, don't reset the box. If at some point in the future you have a problem that you can't resolve, reset the box, otherwise, ignore it.

psurquhart

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
What sort of issue? If you're not having any problems, don't reset the box. If at some point in the future you have a problem that you can't resolve, reset the box, otherwise, ignore it.

Thanks for the swift reply - got to get ready for work now but I will give more info from the letter later. That was my initial thought but I am thinking that the more I record later on down the line and if it does suddenly become an issue I would rather do it now than later. Can't find the letter right now but will update when I am back from work.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

I'd be thinking along the same lines - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Until it fails or freezes I'd run as normal - or at the very least, catch up on my viewing of recorded programmes.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
psurquhart said:
The_Lhc said:

Thanks for the swift reply - got to get ready for work now but I will give more info from the letter later. That was my initial thought but I am thinking that the more I record later on down the line and if it does suddenly become an issue I would rather do it now than later. Can't find the letter right now but will update when I am back from work.

I can understand that but how much are you likely to keep indefinitely? A hard drive can fail at any time, so in a sense you're always in this position, unless Sky think it's very likely to happen I wouldn't be worrying about it (and to be honest, I'm not sure what sort of issue a master reset is going to fix anyway.

EDIT: Ok, from what I can see on the Sky forums the issue seems to be that the box stops recording or downloading anything despite having plenty of space available (94% in one case!). The thread in question has now degenerated into people screaming for compensation so there's not much actual info to be gleaned from it now. The reset seems to work in most cases, one person is reporting that it didn't but it isn't clear if he's actually doing it right or not.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts