Sky HD Box - Problem

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

My HD box is 15 months + old and is a Thomson unit, it has started going unresponsive every so often (1 or 2 times a night) where the picture disappears from the screen (whether playing back a recording or just watching a channel) and no buttons work. The only option is to unplug - wait - plug back in - wait - and then all OK for anything from 10 mins to several hours.

I have been running the new EPG for a couple of months now by the way.

I think it could be a 'power supply unit' issue but any other suggestions and / or fixes welcomed.

I have found a company that fits uprated power supply boards for £30 with panasonic capacitors etc so may give them a go.

Regards Simon.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
I know Clare has just had to have her Sky HD box replaced too, but not sure what the problem was (and the new one won't yet run the new EPG). Sure she'll be along in a mo to explain.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Turns out two more of my colleagues are having similar problems and are having to request replacement Sky HD boxes. Seems there may be a problem with the new EPG. Have emailed Sky for an official response.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks and I will keep an eye out for further replies.

On the subject of the EPG - no it did not freeze prior but it has had the EPG for a good while now (2 months maybe)

Cheers again.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Sky has looked into the issue and says: "We are not aware of any issues across the Thomson platform relating to failed recordings as a result of the download of the new Sky+ HD EPG."

So the fact that it's happened to three of us recently is just a coincidence. Apparently.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'm guessing it's down to the fact that the Thomson boxes are the oldest in the Sky HD 'fleet' - they're suffering from old age! (Bet the hot weather hasn't helped, either - the fan was on overtime on my old box).

Anyhow, my new Samsung box is doing the job v.nicely - and the new EPG is less than six weeks away for these boxes, so my friendly Sky engineer said. He was off to Daniel Craig's house after mine. Sadly I had to go back to work, rather than stowaway in the Sky van
emotion-9.gif

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Andy Clough:

Sky has looked into the issue and says: "We are not aware of any issues across the Thomson platform relating to failed recordings as a result of the download of the new Sky+ HD EPG."

A quick search through other forums dealing with Sky HD will provide plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary. I personally have twice suffered failed recordings due to all channel and programme information disappearing from the new EPG, requiring a power reset to bring it back. This never happened with the old one.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
I have had this problem recently also. I originally suffered frequently from the syndrome of one satellite feed going missing preventing 2 recordings at the same time. This disappeared a few weeks ago but now I too find the box freezing at the end of recordings, leading them to fail.

Sky 'appear' to always deny any problems and then quietly attempt to resolve them behind the scenes - it just takes so long and we suffer in the meantime.

If you want fun then try ringing Sky and asking for help - they are useless and will try all sorts of useless 'solutions' before charging you for an engineer call out.

daveh75

tvmog:Andy Clough:

A quick search through other forums dealing with Sky HD will provide plenty of anecdotal evidence to the contrary..
Have to agree,as you say there is plenty of evidence on other forums to the contrary,not just with recording issue's either.For Sky to say they are not aware of any issue's relating to failed recordings is a total cop out imo.

A

Anonymous

I may still have the new psu fitted tomorrow as some still say this may be the problem causing the freeze.

If I do then I will monitor and report back periodically.

Cheers all.

daveh75

soulton:
I may still have the new psu fitted tomorrow as some still say this may be the problem causing the freeze.

If I do then I will monitor and report back periodically.

Cheers all.

It's a good idea anyway tbh, as psu problem's are a known issue with thomson boxes due to the inferior components used.

A

Anonymous

soulton:
Hi All,

My HD box is 15 months + old and is a Thomson unit, it has started going unresponsive every so often (1 or 2 times a night) where the picture disappears from the screen (whether playing back a recording or just watching a channel) and no buttons work. The only option is to unplug - wait - plug back in - wait - and then all OK for anything from 10 mins to several hours.

I have been running the new EPG for a couple of months now by the way.

I think it could be a 'power supply unit' issue but any other suggestions and / or fixes welcomed.

I have found a company that fits uprated power supply boards for £30 with panasonic capacitors etc so may give them a go.

Regards Simon.

Why don't you ask Sky to replace/fix the faulty unit ?

I know they will probably claim it only has a 12 month warranty but you should expect product of this type to work for much longer than 15 months without issue. If they refuse contact consumerdirect.gov.uk for advice. My unit was two years old and became faulty. Sky wanted to charge £60 for an engineer but in the end exchanged the unit FOC.

Dasp

A

Anonymous

Hi Das,

I totally agree, but they will replace with a supposedly 'refurbed' unit which if you or anyone you know has had is like buying a lottery ticket -

I may get lucky or I may not.

If I can sort for £30 then at least the psu will last and things like hard drives and tuners are not that expensive if at later date need replacing also.

The other thing is that I have a high gloss black case on my HD box so it matches all my Pioneer kit.

Regards Si.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

I'm guessing it's down to the fact that the Thomson boxes are the oldest in the Sky HD 'fleet' - they're suffering from old age! (Bet the hot weather hasn't helped, either - the fan was on overtime on my old box).

Anyhow, my new Samsung box is doing the job v.nicely - and the new EPG is less than six weeks away for these boxes, so my friendly Sky engineer said. He was off to Daniel Craig's house after mine. Sadly I had to go back to work, rather than stowaway in the Sky van
emotion-9.gif

Clare I'd be interested to know if Sky were aware of your occupation when providing you with a replacement box. I ask this because most people. myself included, find it virtually impossible to get anything other than a refurbed Thomson (ie: previously faulty) as a replacement box. A request for anything different is usually met with the response that it will depend on what the engineer has on the van - almost always a Thomson. Exactly what the refurb process involves is anyones guess given that there are reports of people getting replacements that still have recordings in the planner from the previous owner. My replacement box suffers from pretty much the same issues as the original one, plus another couple since the arrival of the new EPG

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
tvmog:Clare Newsome:

emotion-9.gif

Clare I'd be interested to know if Sky were aware of your occupation when providing you with a replacement box. I ask this because most people. myself included, find it virtually impossible to get anything other than a refurbed Thomson (ie: previously faulty) as a replacement box. A request for anything different is usually met with the response that it will depend on what the engineer has on the van - almost always a Thomson. Exactly what the refurb process involves is anyones guess given that there are reports of people getting replacements that still have recordings in the planner from the previous owner. My replacement box suffers from pretty much the same issues as the original one, plus another couple since the arrival of the new EPG

I had no idea/choice re getting the Samsung box: it was just what the engineer had with him.

He wanted to come back later with another Thomson box, so that I could carry on enjoying the new EPG, but once I had my hands on a Samsung, I wasn't going to let it go. Hopefully it won't be long before the Samsung boxes get the EPG upgrade - i'm missing its extra functionality!

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:tvmog:Clare Newsome:

emotion-9.gif

I had no idea/choice re getting the Samsung box: it was just what the engineer had with him.

He wanted to come back later with another Thomson box, so that I could carry on enjoying the new EPG, but once I had my hands on a Samsung, I wasn't going to let it go. Hopefully it won't be long before the Samsung boxes get the EPG upgrade - i'm missing its extra functionality!

I hope Daniel Craig is enjoying his refurbed Thomson then. Don't worry I won't tell him it was you.
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Quick update -

Upgraded psu has been running for nearly a week and so far so good.

I will post if the situation changes.

Next month if all OK I will be fitting a larger Hard Drive.

Cheers.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
soulton:

Hi All,

Quick update -

Upgraded psu has been running for nearly a week and so far so good.

I will post if the situation changes.

Next month if all OK I will be fitting a larger Hard Drive.

Cheers.

I'll be interested to see how this works out for you as a power supply upgrade is an option I am seriously considering, particularly after having to do 3 power resets last week for a variety of different issues.

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Clare Newsome:

Clare, is your willingness to sacrifice the new EPG in order to keep the Samsung because it offers superior picture and audio capabilities or because you expect it to be more reliable in the long term (or both)?

A

Anonymous

tvmog:Clare Newsome:

Clare, is your willingness to sacrifice the new EPG in order to keep the Samsung because it offers superior picture and audio capabilities or because you expect it to be more reliable in the long term (or both)?

Yes, also interested to know. I have one of Mr Sugar's babies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts