Six inches? (UE46B8000 or UE40B8000)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm just after some advice about television size as I am considering purchasing either the 40" or 46" Samsung 8 series LED TVs.

In my lounge, the viewing distance from the nearest seat is about 8 ft
and 12 ft from the furthest. Hanging cut out newspaper on the wall with
the same dimensions as the televisions (sad, I know), the 40" seems a
little too small, whereas the 46" a little too big. That said, all the
sizing guides I've found on-line suggest that 46" would be ideal.

I've already tried going into a shop and viewing the TVs from the
respective distances, but shop viewing can be deceptive as even the
largest TVs seem small.

Going from a low def, 16:9, 32" CRT, I know either TV will be an
initial shock, but I wonder if anyone else has had a similar dilemma,
and if so, what did you choose and were you happy with it?

I'm also aware that the picture source is important. If I do go with
the larger set, how painful will it be watching non-high def programs?

Many thanks

I have a 50" TV which I watch from a 10' distance.....sometimes I wish I had bought a 60"......
emotion-14.gif

Go for the 46"...............even that will look small after a few days!! 40" is small for your viewing distance.

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I upgraded from a 32"crt last year to a 42" Pany plasma. My viewing distance is between 10-12ft and the 42" seemed HUGE by comparison. After a while though it is amazing how they seem to shrink, I am happy with my 42" as SD looks good from my viewing distance and HD looks fantastic.

I do sometimes wonder if I should of saved up a bit more and gone for a 46". The only thing you need to consider is how SD content looks at your viewing distance, especially if you watch alot of terrestial tv. If the bigger tv looks good on SD from your viewing distance then go for it.

staggerlee

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
46 inches. I dithered for a long time on this same issue. But with a 46 inch screen you really do get absorbed into what ever you are watching. My distance is about 8 feet and it is perfect. Poor quality SD can look a bit grainy, but i would say that the pleasure byou will get from DVd's, blu ray, HD etc far outweighs these shortcomings. I did the newspapar thing but in reality you soon forget about the size. I now wish i had gone for a 50 inch !

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I have the 46 inch Samsung. It is a great TV, but I now wish that I had gone for the 55 inch. I sit about 3.5 meters from the screen.

DJEPSON

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I have got 42" and sit about 5 metres away and it's awful, I need at least 55" I think, but its gets pricey aound that size

A

Anonymous

Go for the 46". Its amazing how quickly you get used to the bigger size. Before long you'll be wishing you had gone for a 50" instead.

A

Anonymous

I believe that a recent survey found that after changing their TV, 90% of the people wished they had bought a bigger one

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
markjaspi:I believe that a recent survey found that after changing their TV, 90% of the people wished they had bought a bigger one

groovemasterj

This is the one of the cases where bigger is better, we went from a 40 to a 52 and as the thread refers seems huges at first and then............!

We are 3 metres viewing distance and it's spot on, maybe a 60" one day :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone. The consensus is definitely for the larger screen.

I'll just blame you all when my wife kills me
emotion-1.gif

Thanks again ...

A

Anonymous

Just give yourself time to adjust to the intial 'omg, thats too big to watch'. I went from a 28" CRT to 32" LCD, then with the help of white paper stuck together did the 37/42" on the wall. 42 " looked massive.

But went for 42" in the end, no regrets whatsover, you get used to the size very quickly (2 days) and now have the 50".

Watching films made the biggest difference, they can look quite tiny quite quickly !

Tell the wife it is 40 " really !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts