Should I wait till Spring to buy Samsung UE55D8000?

avstuff

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
This TV was retailing for £2500 in the summer just gone and can now be had for around £1850 from one or two places after £150 cashback from Samsung. I think Amazon is selling it for under £1900 outright (it may be a vendor selling through Amazon and not Amazon directly). However, I have read in a few places that Samsung usually brings out a new line of TVs around March/April and retailers usually respond by slashing several hundred off the previous year's models. If this is the case, perhaps I could get this TV for under £1500 around April 2012.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of whether Samsung cuts prices and, if so, by how much? I am itching to buy this TV as it looks absolutely gorgeous with its ultra thin bezel and lots of connectivity but don't mind waiting if I can save several hundred pounds on the prices its retailing at the moment. Spending close to £2000 on a TV is a bit much for me, but at the moment its a matter of can't wait to get it but put off by the high price.

avstuff

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Too impatient to wait another 3/4 months so decided to buy it. Luckily, managed to get it new for £1500. Should arrive tomorrow so a good time to catch some movies over the holiday period and a bit of gaming.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Sounds like a cracking deal. You'll have to report back with your experiences.

I probably won't be getting a TV myself anytime soon, but if my TV blew up this afternoon, a 46D7000 or 46D8000 would be near the top of the pile of possible replacements.

A

Anonymous

Hi - a few questions if I may?

What are your first impressions? How is it with motion? And where did you find one for £1500?

Cheers

avstuff

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The shop is Electrocentre http://www.electrocentreltd.com/viewproduct.asp?pid=7147

There has been a delay in delivery because of the Christmas period. Called them today and been told it will be delivered tomorrow, or Thursday by the latest.

Well, technically, the price was £1600 paid, but after £150 Samsung cashback the price will be £1450. Their price flactuates all the time and at one point a few days back it was selling for £1599. Luckily, I logged on to their site at that point and thought it was a great deal because the next best deal was £1750 but after cashback (so you had to pay £1900 upfront).

The current price on their site is is £1799, although it was selling for £1740 for much of Cristams Eve and Christmas Day. I couldn't believe my luck because £1600 price was listed only for about an hour or two window. I thought the price was a mistake and my order would be rejected, but it hasn't.

I think the cashback was only offered till 24th. Its direct from Samsung.

avstuff

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
By the way, if any of you are thinking of buying one of these Samsung TVs, I would go with D7000 series instead of D8000. They are identical but the D7000 bezel is clearer which gives the impression of a more 'floating' picture when the TV is on. The silver bezel on the D8000 is too bright and shiny I reckon. Even though I did buy the D8000, I have since come to like the look of D7000 more. What's more, you will save a good £100-£150.

But some may deem the D8000 series better looking when the TV is off.

Personally, I agree with this reviewer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0EPb01uNH0

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the info ;o) I am actually tempted by the 7000 now, I prefer the idea of the clear bezel as long as everything else is identical. There's an interesting variation on price, some places even seem to have the D8000 for less than the D7000

avstuff

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
The TV is great. Great picture out of the box but I am sure some calibration will probably improve the picture even more. HD picture is just amazing, both from HD channels such as BBC HD and of course the blurays. The picture almost pops out at you, particularly the HD stuff. Big difference from my old TV which was also a HD TV. Not all HD content is the same though. I just briefly watched the James Bond on ITV HD and the picture was just amazing to look at, but there is other HD content on those channnels that do not look as striking.

The sound out of the box is not very good and I had to have the volume to 40 and above to get a decent sound to fill the room. In fact, I was really dissapointed because my old TV sounded way better. I overlooked the settings. Simply change the setting to movie from standard (or whatever the name of the default sound setting is) and everything is now fine. Now, the sound is better than my old TV. And unless you are a sound enthusiast, you really don't need a separate system, although a good separate system will always improve the sound a great deal, of course.

I have had no clouding and other picture problems. However, I think there is a slight issue with fast moving scenes. Its not that noticeable, but it does not seem as natural as on my old TV. However, I believe this can be sorted by changing some settings. I have also read that in some cases picture improves with a bit of time (say around 100 hours of use).

One problem. I cannot get the PS3 to connect with this TV. The TV just won't get a signal from it. However, I have done a bit of google search and no one else seems to be having this issue, at least no one seems to be reporting it.

TRENDING THREADS