Should I wait longer to buy?

Britmerican

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone-

I'm in the market for a 55inch TV. I'll use it primarily for movies and PS3 games, and I'm a bit wary of Plasma as I know it has issues with burn-in. I've got max £2,500 to spend on it. So the question i have for all of you is.....it's currently July 23rd - do I wait longer for the new generation of TV's to come out, or just go ahead and buy now? And if buying now, what is the best 55inch SMART LED TV to buy? Saw the Samsung UE55F8000, but now the F8500 has come out as well?

A bit confused.....

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
Both those models are this years, F in samsung mean 2013, so i would buy now, if you are unsure of any model numbers let us know & we'll tell you what year they are.

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
If you wait 6 months (ie January 2014) then this years model will be dropping in price as dealers start to clear stock to make room for 2014 models.

However, by then next years models will only be a few months away so you run the risk of reading a review of a 2014 model and thinking 'damn, which I'd waited another few months'.

Whenever you choose to buy though, it will inevitably be out of date in 12 months at the most anyway, so i wouldn't worry so much about the second point. More annoying is when you buy something and see it for £500 less in a few months time.

How urgent is the need for a new TV - is the current one working ok?

D

Deleted member 2457

Britmerican said:
Hi Everyone- I'm in the market for a 55inch TV. I'll use it primarily for movies and PS3 games, and I'm a bit wary of Plasma as I know it has issues with burn-in. I've got max £2,500 to spend on it. So the question i have for all of you is.....it's currently July 23rd - do I wait longer for the new generation of TV's to come out, or just go ahead and buy now? And if buying now, what is the best 55inch SMART LED TV to buy? Saw the Samsung UE55F8000, but now the F8500 has come out as well? A bit confused.....

Deals are about now on both these TVs. The only difference between the two models as far as I know is the design. Best of with the cheaper one. There is cash back money going about on both of these TVs too.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Since gaming is a priority, I'd add the Sony 905a to your shortlist, due to its negligible input lag. See this review for details:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl55w905a-201305172987.htm?page=Performance

Out of the box greyscale performance is also exemplary. Viewing angles perhaps leave something to be desired, though it's worth auditioning to see how much of a problem this would be for you.

The Samsung F8500 is a bit of a no-go if you're a serious gamer, as input lag is quite high, especially for a plasma TV.

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
You could see what oldboy (a forum member) says about the f8000. He just got the 55" model and is a serious gamer. His doing a review once his has it a bit. Samsung are offering cash back at mo but not sure when it ends. Some retailers might do an August bank holiday sale? Tv models are generally April release so they are relatively new at the mo. it's like anything though, the longer you wait the more chance of a price drop, depends if yyou'll be miffed if you see it cheaper after you purchased.

oldboy also got a price match with John Lewis against totaldigital.biz so with the cash back he got it with 5yr warranty for £1650 ish. Bargain if its any good

TRENDING THREADS