Should I upgrade my pioneer bdp-lx71 bluray player

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

radam40

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
You also have the Oppo 103 and 103d. The Marantz 7007.

You are right. I don't know if the analogue stage of the oppo 103 is as good as the lx58. I guess the oppo 95 will be better.

But the Marantz 7007 looks interesting too. It has a different D/A chip as the Pio 58

radam40 said:
gel said:
You also have the Oppo 103 and 103d.  The Marantz 7007.

You are right. I don't know if the analogue stage of the oppo 103 is as good as the lx58. I guess the oppo 95 will be better.?

But the Marantz 7007 looks interesting too. It has a different D/A chip as the Pio 58

1) Oppo 95 is an old model. The replacement is Oppo 105. Oppo 103 is a brilliant player as well which you should demo before writing it off. It is a worthy replacement to Pioneer LX71 in my opinion.

2) Pioneer LX58, LX88 and Marantz UD7007 don't have multi channel analogues.

3) Your other option is Panasonic BDT700.

JJ said:
Still alive and kicking huh Gel? *crazy*

You should tag along with the Doc to Specsavers.

My vision is 6/5, thanks for asking. :) That's better than most population.

Check every blu ray player review on AV forums for example. They say: "The digital nature of Blu-ray video means that as long as the player isn't doing anything it shouldn't, then all Blu-ray players should perform in the same manner."

My observations are based on my own experience of testing various blu ray players on 50 inch plasma as well as 8 feet projector screen. No difference that I could see.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
JJ said:
Still alive and kicking huh Gel? *crazy*

You should tag along with the Doc to Specsavers.

My vision is 6/5, thanks for asking. :) That's better than most population.

Check every blu ray player review on AV forums for example. They say: "The digital nature of Blu-ray video means that as long as the player isn't doing anything it shouldn't, then all Blu-ray players should perform in the same manner."

My observations are based on my own experience of testing various blu ray players on 50 inch plasma as well as 8 feet projector screen. No difference that I could see.

and pro calibrators would agree with this and so do I with the experience of a ps3, lx71, bdt500 and Denon 3313. No difference in any shape or form for BD viewing apart from loading speeds and online apps etc...

D

Deleted member 2457

Series1boy said:
What are you on about :)
There used to be this big mouth member called Ronald Archibold, he loved his Denon 2500 Blu-Ray player, he used to call Andrew Everard Everhard too. You certainly know when he's about!

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
What are you on about :)
There used to be this big mouth member called Ronald Archibold, he loved his Denon 2500 Blu-Ray player, he used to call Andrew Everard Everhard too. You certainly know when he's about!

I think he was Archibald. Very well spotted!! Why was he your arch enemy?
Yep, that's it. He was the only person I have ever reported! He used to get right on my nerves.

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Series1boy said:
and pro calibrators would agree with this and so do I with the experience of a ps3, lx71, bdt500 and Denon 3313. No difference in any shape or form for BD viewing apart from loading speeds and online apps etc...

When i was in my QA job we had 6 work stations with 4 different players on each, a 22" LCD Samsung montor, a 4 way QED switched and the same QED HDMI cable on every player.

Loading the same disc and performing the same test multiple times (different SKU's of the same disc) you could clearly see which players gave the better picture as we were only a few feet away from the TVs (not ideal of course)

There is no say that small inconsitantcies in the QED switcher (4 in 1 out) could have contributed to to the signal path but putting a disc in with one clip being quite grainy in one machine (Samsung or LG) and not so grainy in the other (Denon 2500) I can't remember the other players but at the time we had everything from a Samsung 100 to the Denon 2500. We had the pioneer LX70 and LX70A, Sony 300, sony 350 (very good player) Panasony BD60 and BD 65 and many others but I have to say the Denon 2500 gave the best picture.

When I was at Sony the OPPO players had by far the best picture and again the TV was viewed from close range on a Sony TV.

So maybe the colours are identical, contrast and brightness too but maybe the delivery of th picture can vary.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you have a calibrated TV then there should be no difference with BD. For dvd, this is a different story and to get the best out of this media, picture enhancements such as darbee will make a difference.

was your monitor calibrated?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Series1boy said:
was your monitor calibrated?

Actually no the TVs were not calibrated. Neither company wld pay for it to be done. But still 4 different players into 1 HDMI cable and 1 TV. Surely even uncalibrated if the players don't differ fromeach other quality wise then surely you wouldn't see any difference on an uncalibrated TV.

See. Not getting at you but with so many people saying Digital componants will perform the same because a digital signal can't be altered, even when a coversion has to happen then it gets converted back. Yet these differences do show.

Like I said it could have been the switcher or it could have been the Denon 2500 was a much better player. Never mind I was just reporting what I have seen many a time during work.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
If you switch all the video processing off on the BD player, they should be the same. I'm not denying you didn't see a difference, i and many other people haven't and ask any calibrator they will say the same...

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Series1boy said:
If you switch all the video processing off on the BD player, they should be the same. I'm not denying you didn't see a difference, i and many other people haven't and ask any calibrator they will say the same...

Thats cool. I believe you. I'm just trying to understand why I saw differences. I used to make sure any extra processing was off on both the TV and the players to make sure I was getting as true a view of the picture as possible to give an equal chance of spotting any video issues when testing.

If I was still working in that job and had access to all the kit like before then I would do some comaparisons. Sadly we were all made redundant a few years ago. At Sony we only really had Sony players. The Oppos were not used in testing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts