Should I go for Roksan Caspian M1 integrated amp?

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
My exising setup:

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

Marantz PM8003 Integrated Amp

Roksan FR-5 Floorstand speakers

Are there any improvement in terms of control and soundstage please?

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Good question. The Roksan should match better with the CDP and speakers as they're from the same stable, but I haven't compared the Marantz and the M1 at the same time - it would be an interesting comparison to make.

As the Caspian M1 is an outgoing model (the new M2 is the current version) - is it possible to hear the M1 and compare it to your K2 wherever you've seen it for sale?

ANWKLO:

My exising setup:

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

For me, it's a 'no brainer'. The Caspian M1 is a superb amp and would be a great first step to the upgrade. The only slight caveat is the Caspian lacks inputs... worth remembering.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
audioaffair:
Good question. The Roksan should match better with the CDP and speakers as they're from the same stable, but I haven't compared the Marantz and the M1 at the same time - it would be an interesting comparison to make.

As the Caspian M1 is an outgoing model (the new M2 is the current version) - is it possible to hear the M1 and compare it to your K2 wherever you've seen it for sale?

I have compared Caspian M1 and Kandy K2 integrated amp. The control ability of M1 is better than K2. The sound of K2 is sweeter than M1.
emotion-1.gif

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin:ANWKLO:

My exising setup:

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

For me, it's a 'no brainer'. The Caspian M1 is a superb amp and would be a great first step to the upgrade. The only slight caveat is the Caspian lacks inputs... worth remembering.

There is no phono input and av by-pass function of M1
emotion-6.gif

ANWKLO:plastic penguin:ANWKLO:

My exising setup:

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

emotion-6.gif

That's why I chose the Leema. SQ-wise they pretty much on par, each amp demonstrating their own distinctive traits, It was purely down to inputs that swayed my decision.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin:ANWKLO:plastic penguin:ANWKLO:

My exising setup:

Roksan Kandy K2 CDP

emotion-6.gif

That's why I chose the Leema. SQ-wise they pretty much on par, each amp demonstrating their own distinctive traits, It was purely down to inputs that swayed my decision.

It's all about the sound for me - I could forego this feature but sometimes practicalities need considering - esp if you're using it as part of an AV system!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
I use a Caspian M1 and we use it as part of our surround sound system at the 10 o'clock mark. I don't have a problem and neither does my wife or son. It ain't rocket science it's only a dial.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles:I use a Caspian M1 and we use it as part of our surround sound system at the 10 o'clock mark. I don't have a problem and neither does my wife or son. It ain't rocket science it's only a dial.

Are there any difference of Caspian Int/Power Bi-amped instead of a single Caspian Int?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
ANWKLO:

Lost Angeles:I use a Caspian M1 and we use it as part of our surround sound system at the 10 o'clock mark. I don't have a problem and neither does my wife or son. It ain't rocket science it's only a dial.

Are there any difference of Caspian Int/Power Bi-amped instead of a single Caspian Int?

The Caspian M1 is superb on its own. Bi-amping just gives more control by allowing the power amp to control the lower end and just letting the Integrated power the told end. I was lucky to get a power amp cheap to allow me to do this.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles:ANWKLO:

The Caspian M1 is superb on its own. Bi-amping just gives more control by allowing the power amp to control the lower end and just letting the Integrated power the told end. I was lucky to get a power amp cheap to allow me to do this.

Do you need to switch on something as you use it as part of your surround sound system? From the manual it states "Power Amp Input (Requires internal work for activation)"

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
ANWKLO:Lost Angeles:ANWKLO:

Do you need to switch on something as you use it as part of your surround sound system? From the manual it states "Power Amp Input (Requires internal work for activation)"

I feed my front Pre-out interconnects into the Video in on the Caspian Integrated and in AV mode have the AV amp and both Caspian amps on, the volume level is controlled by the AV amp. When using the CDP or TT only the Caspian amps are used. I use a phono stage from my TT into Line 2.
I hope this answers your question.
You do not mention in your original post that you are using your Kandy as part of a surround system.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Lost Angeles:ANWKLO:Lost Angeles:ANWKLO:

I feed my front Pre-out interconnects into the Video in on the Caspian Integrated and in AV mode have the AV amp and both Caspian amps on, the volume level is controlled by the AV amp. When using the CDP or TT only the Caspian amps are used. I use a phono stage from my TT into Line 2.
I hope this answers your question.
You do not mention in your original post that you are using your Kandy as part of a surround system.

I use AV amp Marantz SR5500 pre-out to integrated amp PM8003, which have av by-pass function and phono mm
emotion-1.gif

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The controllability of Caspian M1 is better than Kandy K2 and Marantz PM8003. The volume of M1 can be turned up so high, i.e. > 12 o'clock without distortion.

ANWKLO:The controllability of Caspian M1 is better than Kandy K2 and Marantz PM8003. The volume of M1 can be turned up so high, i.e. > 12 o'clock without distortion.

The Caspian is 70 watts per channel, whereas the Kandy is around 120 (don't know about the Marantz). Certainly when I heard the Caspian it was powering Spendor SA-1s, which aren't the easiest due to their closed- cabinet configuration. It depends on your speakers - check the dbs - and the size of your room. Based on my audition (in a room about 15' square) the Caspian showed no sign of buckling. This is why I strongly recommend you listen and iron out any concerns you may have.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The agent tested the pre-out from Caspian M2 integrated amp into the Line 1 / Tape inputs of Caspian M1 integrated amp. It sounds OK without much distoration.

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Marantz PM8003 is 70 watts/8ohms. What HI-Fi said it is actually 91 watts/8ohms. The power of PM8003 is OK for pushing Roksan FR-5 (87db). The sound is sweet and gentle. My listening area is half of a 190' square in rectangle shape. I need to add a phono amp MM at the end.

A

Anonymous

ANWKLO:My Caspian M1 just arrived.

Enjoy!
Let us know how it compares to the K2. I have a K2 and am interested in the M1 as well

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
The control ability of M1 is much better than K2. M1 is more musical
and emotion of tonal voice. The bass is much more and solid. The treble is
better control in terms of not bright.

For further improvement, should I add a M1 stereo power amp for bi-amping or replace K2 CDP to M1 CDP first?

Normal

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui>

st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:????;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-parent:"";
mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;