Should I convert speaker to line level signal?

Hello All!

I have a quick question about signal levels:

Gear: Realistic STA-84 Stereo reciever (2 channel speaker outs, A with both standard speaker cable connection and RCA, and B with only speaker cable out), Focusrite 18i8 audio interface (4 pairs of line ins, all quarter inch TRS), Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (RCA Line in).

I found myself in a situation where I want to plug the speaker outs on my reciever to line ins on both the mixer and audio interface. Should I be worried about signal level? I seem to be getting sound out of it from going from the RCA speaker out to line level inputs on the interface, it's just a bit quite.

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UcxtXza8apQ/p_161LC6IB/AudioControl-LC6i-Black.html?tp=2001

but it seems to be meant for use in a car, rather than a Hi-Fi system. I'm not sure if those speaker inputs are standard speaker cable inputs or molex. Any suggestions for things to look for in the US?

Thanks!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Otto Kuehrmann said:
Hello All!

I have a quick question about signal levels:

Gear: Realistic STA-84 Stereo reciever (2 channel speaker outs, A with both standard speaker cable connection and RCA, and B with only speaker cable out), Focusrite 18i8 audio interface (4 pairs of line ins, all quarter inch TRS), Behringer Eurorack UB1202 (RCA Line in).

I found myself in a situation where I want to plug the speaker outs on my reciever to line ins on both the mixer and audio interface. Should I be worried about signal level? I seem to be getting sound out of it from going from the RCA speaker out to line level inputs on the interface, it's just a bit quite.

I was looking at something like this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-UcxtXza8apQ/p_161LC6IB/AudioControl-LC6i-Bl...

but it seems to be meant for use in a car, rather than a Hi-Fi system. I'm not sure if those speaker inputs are standard speaker cable inputs or molex. Any suggestions for things to look for in the US?

Thanks!

It can be done, but it is generally a bad idea to connect speaker outputs to line inputs. The levels are wrong for a start, but a simple voltage divider / attenuator will drop the speaker out levels so the line inputs don't get swamped. The one you have linked to is very fancy, and probably an empty box apart from a few resistors. I would imagine there are much cheaper available, or if you are handy with a soldering iron the bits to build an attenuator will cost a few £ - and that includes the box and connectors. Google will bring up lots of 'how to' links.

The main problem is that it is in the final output stages of an amp that the majority of the noise and distortion happens. By taking the signal from this point, and then amplifying again you add noise and distortion to noise and distortion. Fine in a car where the acoustics are so bad and background noise so loud that you wont notice, or for a subwoofer where only LF is required, but it may be objectionable for main channel home 'HiFi' listening.

The line out of an amp is connected internally very early in the signal chain, and generally is of higher quality than the final amplified output - but if you can live with the sound quality and use an attenuator then you can get away with the approach you suggest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts