Sub - Line level + speaker level = confusion!

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Please could someone explain how to connect a sub up to my amp? Sub is a Wharfedale SW250 with the following:

Line level inputs (left and right)

Line level output (left and right)

Speaker level inputs (2 + and 2 -)

Could someone please explain what each does, and how i should connect it to my amp the best way? And a good reasonably price cable

Cheers!

Simon

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Andrew - thanks for the reply!

The amp is not purchased yet but im excited to read about your review of the sony 2400es so it could well be that

I just bought the amp from ebay which is in perfect working order, with a couple of
small marks on the front (which hopefully i can repair or cover up in
some way, they looked very small) for £110 from ebay. The slight damage
wont affect sound they say and it seems like a trustworthy source with
plenty of feedback all 100%. Sounded like a bargain to me.

Any thoughts on it? I was looking for a sw150 but this went for what looks
like a great price and has extra options and a remote. This drives the
bass downwards, is this likely to be more annoying to neighbours than a
front facing sub? May have to be careful i knock the volume down :)

Also ive been offered this MonsterBassT 400 Subwoofer Interconnect http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1061
a 12ft one for £20 by the seller - is this a good way to hook up the
sub? Worth taking?

Anyway back to the main question! i digressed a little, what would you suggest to hook it up?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
If someone could let me know which cables i should go for to best hook up the sub, or if i should go ahead and buy the cable listed above it would be much appreciated. I'm picking up the amp tomorrow but dont want to buy the cable if its rubbish! Cant find a review of it

thanks again

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Great thanks for that! would the monster cable mentioned do a good job of that? what are the speaker level inputs for? and the output? thanks again

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kingnothing83:
The amp is not purchased yet but im excited to read about your review of the sony 2400es so it could well be that

I just bought the amp from ebay

Well with the 2400ES just use the subwoofer preout connection to the sub's low-level/LFE in

But what's the amp you bought from ebay?

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
apologies for the typo - it was the sub i bought from ebay not the amp, thanks again for the tips.

Still slightly confused though, if i am not mistaken the 2400es has 1sub preout, and the sub has the following:

Line level inputs (left and right)

Line level output (left and right)

Speaker level inputs (2 + and 2 -)

does a sub intercorrect split from 1 cable from the amp into 2 to feed the left and right line level inputs? Sorry if thats a stupid question

kingnothing83

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
actually after looking closer at a picture of the sub perhaps there isnt a line level input "L and R" at all, maybe the 2 line level inputs just let you have 2 inputs into the sub, is that more likely?

Only question that remains is, should i go for the monster cable for £20?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
kingnothing83:
actually after looking closer at a picture of the sub perhaps there isnt a line level input "L and R" at all, maybe the 2 line level inputs just let you have 2 inputs into the sub, is that more likely?

Only question that remains is, should i go for the monster cable for £20?

Cheers

You can use either line- (actually preamp-) level input, and yes the Monster Cable product will be fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts