Sherwood vs Nad and Cambridge

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
So i' ve considered two options for amp and cd player Nad C355 and
C565 and the Cambridge 650A and 650C...but now the guy on the HIFI shop sugested the Sherwood RX-772
and the CD-772 saying it was a superior combo. Now im kinda noob in the
HIFI business and honestly I never heard of Sherwood before and can't
find any info or reviews about that gear. What do you guys think? Nad, Cambridge or Sherwood?

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Hi:

First, Welcome. Avoid Sherwood, I've heard their amps, and can't understand what the fuss is all about, Sherwood for stereo is zero IMO.

Next, you can invest your hard-earned money for a 355 or 650 a+c, and you'll never be dissapointed. I've never heard both, so don't know which is better. But, i have the 640 a+c, and it's a good budget setup.

T

the record spot

Dnld:So i' ve considered two options for amp and cd player Nad C355 and
C565 and the Cambridge 650A and 650C...but now the guy on the HIFI shop sugested the Sherwood RX-772
and the CD-772 saying it was a superior combo. Now im kinda noob in the
HIFI business and honestly I never heard of Sherwood before and can't
find any info or reviews about that gear. What do you guys think? Nad, Cambridge or Sherwood?

If it's the Sherwood of the last 20 years, okay budget gear, but not a patch usually on the other two. I'd ask him to define how the Sherwood kit is so much better; what does it offer you that the C355 doesn't (which is a pretty tall order I think)? "Superior" means nothing on its' own without something to back up the claim.

Ca' canny and all that.

matthewpiano

Well the CA 650A is as good as anything I've heard below £1k, and the NAD amps would be my next (and very very close) choice. Personally I don't think you can beat these two brands when you are dealing with real world prices.

Forget Sherwood IMO.

Dnld:So i' ve considered two options for amp and cd player Nad C355 and C565 and the Cambridge 650A and 650C...but now the guy on the HIFI shop sugested the Sherwood RX-772 and the CD-772 saying it was a superior combo. Now im kinda noob in the HIFI business and honestly I never heard of Sherwood before and can't find any info or reviews about that gear. What do you guys think? Nad, Cambridge or Sherwood?

Oooh, Sherwood? avoid it at all costs. A friend of mine has a Sherwood/Eltax system, and quite honestly....it's ghastly!

As regards Cambridge, it's ok, but it can sound a little in your face. I know Matthewpiano loves his new Cambridge amp, but as an all-rounder I would certainly go for Nad.

Ah, you could do a lot worse than look at Arcam. What you need is a real entry-level Arcam expert, but as Big Chris isn't online at the moment, you'll have to make do with me...
emotion-5.gif

Let's separate the myth and fiction about Arcam A65+.

Myth: some say it sounds insipid, dull, lacklustre.....the list of cliches aimed at Arcam is endless. This will be countered by some saying it's just a personal opnion - true of course, but if I give the pros and cons of Arcam then hopefully this will give you better insight into what to expect and decide if it's for you or not.

Fact: A65 at only 40 watts will not be the most dynamic amp you'll ever hear, nor does it have the tightest of bass. The mid-range and treble is as good as any integrated below the grand mark; detail is as crisp as anything for the price. The greatest sonic feature of the A65 + is its stereo imaging. It is a lively amp, although not gun-ho in a Roksan or Cyrus way.

A quick example: when I auditioned mine 5 years ago, I tested it against Nad 352* and Rotel RA-02*. These amps had certain qualities the Arcam didn't. They dug a lot deeper in the lower mid-range and low-end stuff, but Arcam's sound just seemed to hang together - or better balance of sonics.

If you're looking for an instant impact sound then Cambridge, Nad, Rotel + a number of other brands will do it better than Arcam. However, if you have long listening sessions, the Arcam is immensely rewarding.

Best speaker matches for Arcam is Monitor Audio, B&W, Dali, Focal.....

Good luck, pp

*These tests took place before RS6. I tested them with Wharfedale speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts