nad c 658 vs separate DAC and pre

mphilips

Dec 31, 2020
Visit site
What would you do, and can you site what you've heard / auditioned personally? Or, are your suggestions based on theoretical assumptions? Either way I appreciate your comments but would like to know what leads to your line of thinking. I am considering a nad c 658 media player (I need balanced output and want it to decode MQA) or, instead stick with my HTPC and get a separate DAC that decodes MQA such as the TOPPING D90 DAC AK4499 DSD512, along with a Schiit Freya+ preamp (the NAD acts a a pre as well as media streamer). Functionality wise the NAD is appealing, but I'm asking about the difference in sound quality of the NAD vs separate DAC and pre.

Years ago I had a NAD CD player and was really impressed with the sound quality. If the NAD media streamer with built in preamp could perform with that level of clarity and provide the foundation for a wide realistic sound stage I'd lean towards the NAD. If the separates would do better then I'd certainly consider that route.

I plan to power my Monitor Audio silvers with 2 Schiit power amps not yet purchased, hence the proposed Schiit Freya+ pre.

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately whatever anyone else has heard it may not sound like that to you so it becomes awkward unless you can audition for yourself.
You mention dac and pre but surely there has to be a power amp involved somewhere?
Or have I just read this all wrong?

Reactions: mphilips

mphilips

Dec 31, 2020
Visit site
Unfortunately whatever anyone else has heard it may not sound like that to you so it becomes awkward unless you can audition for yourself.
You mention dac and pre but surely there has to be a power amp involved somewhere?
Or have I just read this all wrong?

Good point. As far as power amp goes:

. . . I plan to power my Monitor Audio silvers with 2 Schiit power amps not yet purchased, hence the proposed Schiit Freya+ pre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts