admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

I recently found my parents vinyl collection and have started collecting my own. At the moment I just use my hi-fi thats all in one and am now looking at geeting a better system to play my vinyl. However i don't know much about pre-amps, power amps, intergrated amps lol or turntables cartridges, arms or speakers.

Sooo what I am asking is what's the basics for a setup (how does it all work etc)? And where would be a good place to start looking at buying a deck, amp etc. I'm not sure about my budget at the moment, but am trying to keep £100 per week of my wages back to go into a fund for it.

Thanks for any replies and sorry again if this is repeat post/should be in another topic etc.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and welcome to hi-fi!

You get a lot for your money nowadays in hi-fi and can build an impressive system for around £300-400 (a months saving at your suggested £100 per week).

As a start, a good integrated amplifier would be the traditional choice - the Pioneer A109 at around £130 is a good bet with Mission M30i speakers (around £90). Add a Pro-Ject Genie turntable for around £200 and some speaker cables and you have a very impressive set-up.

Feel free to keep this thread going if you need any advice on actually setting up the system and turntable - its great fun once you get started
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I forgot to say that I don't mind going second hand if it is possible to get a good deal for amp, turntable etc.

Another question I have is whats the difference between floor standing speakers and shelf(?) speakers? And also how easy is to change cartridges on turntables? I've found a Linn turntable (I hear their good?) in a charity shop without an arm/cartridge for £100 if that's a decent buy?

Sorry for all the questions, newbie here lol

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Napolean's Little Legs said:
Another question I have is whats the difference between floor standing speakers and shelf(?) speakers?

Welcome to the forum, you're about to enjoy your music a lot
smiley-smile.gif
Speaker difference is as described really - a floorstanding speaker stands on the floor. It therefore has a larger cabinet volume and usually more drive units. A bookshelf (or standmount) speaker is one you would put on a shelf - or preferably a dedicated speaker stand. It is smaller, typically has 2 drive units (midbass and tweeter for high frequency) and needs to be on something (shelf or stand) to bring the tweeter up to ear height when listening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts