admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sorry if this should be posted somewhere else.

I recently found my parents vinyl collection and have started collecting my own. At the moment I just use my hi-fi thats all in one and am now looking at geeting a better system to play my vinyl. However i don't know much about pre-amps, power amps, intergrated amps lol or turntables cartridges, arms or speakers.

Sooo what I am asking is what's the basics for a setup (how does it all work etc)? And where would be a good place to start looking at buying a deck, amp etc. I'm not sure about my budget at the moment, but am trying to keep £100 per week of my wages back to go into a fund for it.

Thanks for any replies and sorry again if this is repeat post/should be in another topic etc.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
Welcome to the forum and welcome to hi-fi!

You get a lot for your money nowadays in hi-fi and can build an impressive system for around £300-400 (a months saving at your suggested £100 per week).

As a start, a good integrated amplifier would be the traditional choice - the Pioneer A109 at around £130 is a good bet with Mission M30i speakers (around £90). Add a Pro-Ject Genie turntable for around £200 and some speaker cables and you have a very impressive set-up.

Feel free to keep this thread going if you need any advice on actually setting up the system and turntable - its great fun once you get started
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply and suggestions, I forgot to say that I don't mind going second hand if it is possible to get a good deal for amp, turntable etc.

Another question I have is whats the difference between floor standing speakers and shelf(?) speakers? And also how easy is to change cartridges on turntables? I've found a Linn turntable (I hear their good?) in a charity shop without an arm/cartridge for £100 if that's a decent buy?

Sorry for all the questions, newbie here lol

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Napolean's Little Legs said:
Another question I have is whats the difference between floor standing speakers and shelf(?) speakers?

Welcome to the forum, you're about to enjoy your music a lot
smiley-smile.gif
Speaker difference is as described really - a floorstanding speaker stands on the floor. It therefore has a larger cabinet volume and usually more drive units. A bookshelf (or standmount) speaker is one you would put on a shelf - or preferably a dedicated speaker stand. It is smaller, typically has 2 drive units (midbass and tweeter for high frequency) and needs to be on something (shelf or stand) to bring the tweeter up to ear height when listening.

TRENDING THREADS