Seperates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tsaoandy

Apr 15, 2020
Visit site
I would get a DAC(used) with Bluetooth function. Which could upgrade the sound from your CD player.
There’s already jumper cables on the connectors, just a pair of speaker cables + and - both go in the bottoms.

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site
Ill stick with the basics for now just hope these castle 2s are ok ill probably be amazed although the one in the car is a14 speaker meridian and tgats superb
If you want a sound similar to that in your car then get a decent headphone setup. A hifi setup in a room will sound completely different to that in any car, the two are just not comparable.

Reactions: Jasonovich

Fandango Andy

Thats really great advice cheers the speakers will not be far away from the amp 12 x12 bedroom so i will need to buy speaker cable another rabbit hole lol
Cables are simple. You don't need anything fancy, but also don't skimp of something too thin. Just basic copper wire 16 or 14 gauge (1.6, and 2mm respectively). A couple of £ per metre from a hifi store. Or Amazon basics should do the job.

Fandango Andy

Thanks for the welcome excuse my ignorance how would i wire the speakers ive only got 2 wires / plugs do you think it would make a reasonable system it will have been £160 all in if i buy them cant complain at that cheers
All great products, if they all work well you have a cracking deal. You could have easily paid more than that just for the speakers.

slick76

Sep 19, 2024
Visit site
Yes if those contacts are bridged you only need to connect one pair. Separating them by removing those bridge pieces allows 'bi-wiring' and 'bi-amping' which are rabbit holes you really, really don't need to go down at the moment!

FWIW I take the view that if 'speaker cable is the best to use for a 5 metre run' then it's probably best for a two centimetre one - so this is how I've done mine. Though expect howls from somebody!
View attachment 7444

On the bluetooth front, I have one of these and it's perfectly serviceable though I use it mainly for Internet radio, which it is very good at. I got mine off FB marketplace for eighty quid:

These seem to have a thing for the DAB functionality breaking so don't rely on that aspect if buying SH.

There are quite a few bluetooth receivers around though as you've obviously seen browsing amazon. The main recommendation would be when you see something always google '{name of thing} review' before you buy. Buying from Richers is always a sound (fnaagh fnaagh) choice as they would normally take something back if you don't like it, provided you haven't broken it or thrown away the packaging. https://www.richersounds.com/mee-audio-af-ch-connect-hub-dual-bt-transmitter-receiver/

Have fun!
Hi m8 sorry to bother again i picked up the amp and cd player today it came with some castle monitor speakers which sound awful the amp only seems to generate volume when direct source button is on the volume knob is a bit wobbly please dont tell me ive bought a lemon

slick76

Sep 19, 2024
Visit site
Aaagh somebody just pulled my string 😂
If OP looking for cables the faux Nordost Valhalla 2 cables from AliExpress are mighty fine! 🎯
Can you help i bought my amp and cd player with 2 gale monitor speakers ( useless) for £70 my amp is loud only through direct input have i bought a lemon ? Not been used for ages by look of it volume knob seems a bit wobbly any help appreciated

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi m8 sorry to bother again i picked up the amp and cd player today it came with some castle monitor speakers which sound awful the amp only seems to generate volume when direct source button is on the volume knob is a bit wobbly please dont tell me ive bought a lemon
Direct source is not a disaster probably just means the balance knob is taken out of circuit and possibly the auto switch on the headphone socket that auto kills the speakers when you plug in. Some amps had this to give the clearest possible signal path to be able to boast about being 'audiophile', or whatever. If you can live with direct source on and no balance control then wouldn't be a write off.

But how do you know the speakers are responsible for the bad sound and not the amp? Do you have some other speakers to test the amp? And vice versa?

slick76

Sep 19, 2024
Visit site
As the cd player and amp were £70 im hoping i cant complain the speakers are 6ohm very small and old im going to have a fiddle until my castles arrive i hope its not the amp but at that price it doesnt really matter the guy seemed genuine one of the speakers wasnt working at all till i turned it up obvs not been used in a long time ill check it now thanks again

Jasonovich

Can you help i bought my amp and cd player with 2 gale monitor speakers ( useless) for £70 my amp is loud only through direct input have i bought a lemon ? Not been used for ages by look of it volume knob seems a bit wobbly any help appreciated
It's really neigh on impossible to make an accurate assessment without having the physical product in front of you.
If it were me, I'll swap the speakers with another, if the problem persists with the other speakers, then it could be an issue with the amp. If you don't have a spare borrow from a friend.
If you have the manual or able to download, check if the connections are done correctly.
Good luck 👍

Reactions: DougK1

slick76

Sep 19, 2024
Visit site
Direct source is not a disaster probably just means the balance knob is taken out of circuit and possibly the auto switch on the headphone socket that auto kills the speakers when you plug in. Some amps had this to give the clearest possible signal path to be able to boast about being 'audiophile', or whatever. If you can live with direct source on and no balance control then wouldn't be a write off.

But how do you know the speakers are responsible for the bad sound and not the amp? Do you have some other speakers to test the amp? And vice versa?
Balance and everything working now there is a hiss when amp is turned up and no music playing

Gray

... the amp only seems to generate volume when direct source button is on the volume knob is a bit wobbly please dont tell me ive bought a lemon
I had the KI version of the PM66SE amp - and only really appreciated how good it was the day I set it up again to demonstrate it to a buyer 😕....but that's another story.

The source direct switch is an unfortunate, weak point on that (and some other Marantz models).
Contamination easily finds its way into it - resulting in intermittent, crackly, distorted sound.
That can easily be cured with some switch cleaner / lubricant spray (have a search for 'Servisol Super 10').
If you're lucky the wobbly volume control might only be a loose mounting nut (pull the knob off to check that).

Don't stop at cleaning just the source direct switch - the source selector switch, volume control, and tone rotary controls all will benefit from some similar attention.

You won't have bought a lemon - though if it was like it is now, the original owner was probably glad to get rid of it.

I was in a record shop once and the sound was unusually good - coming from little Castle speakers....yours look a bit scrappy where the dust caps have been glued on, but otherwise, hopefully they're ok 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts