just got CA azur 640a need speaker pair ~£100

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys,

managed to pick up a cheap-ish Azur 640a V2 amp this week.

Am looking for a new pair of speakers.

I would like a set of floor standers, but ive read alot that for the same price bookshelf speakers are much better.

I am currently looking at the Mercury F1 custom bookshelf speakers. Would these pair well with the 640a.

I listen to mostly rock and metal. but also some classical so need a nice allround set.

I still have a lingering thought at the back of my head to get floor standers though. Are there any good ones for upto £150 that would offer good sound?

ive seen these on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHARFEDALE-DIAMOND-8-3-SPKRS-SPRING-SALE-69-99_W0QQitemZ170220770591QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

any good?

Any advice greatly appreciated :)

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Id say with a minimal budget like yours; either save up more or have a look on Ebay

B&W 602 S2 or S3 speakers would be a good choice with decent mass-loaded stands.

If youre after floorstanders, you couldnt go far wrong with Acoustic Energy AE109's. Theyre superb floorstanders and usually go for £120 or less on Ebay. Make sure theyre a decent pair though with no damage.

A

Anonymous

i agree with d_a_n especially bout saving up! with a decent amp like that you would be selling yourself and your amp short with only 100 quid on speakers. that said, if you really cant stretch your budget any further then check out the MS902i's - i had mine paired with the 540A and was very pleased with the results... (except for the unbalanced output from the amp but that is another thread...)

A

Anonymous

Any ideas what to aim for?

Seen these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Acoustic-Energy-Neo-1s-light-oak-NEW-RANGE-RRP-200_W0QQitemZ260238023896QQihZ016QQcategoryZ14991QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

seem to be a good price, ive googled them and not seen many reviews? would these be better than the tannoys?

what are some good floorstanders to look at, would £200 be reasonable (cant justify spending any more than that really)

A

Anonymous

Go to a flea market and drop 20 quid on some 1980's monsters. (Yammy's and Technics of the era go cheap and are quite good). Use them as a stop gap while you save up 300 or so. If you spend the 100 now you're going to be rueing the decision, the speakers won't come close to the amp, you'll end up upgrading well quick. I mean it, get some fleas, they're really good too. I picked up a pair of mid-seventies Realistiks for my mate while he scrimps for RS6's, they're bloody marvellous for 50 bucks canadian.

A

Anonymous

Hi. Well, I agree with the other posters about the speakers. I read somewhere that you should aim to spend the same on speakers as on the source.

I'm very interested on this cd player. What do you think of it? Do you also have an ipod and an ipod dock? See my other thread, http://whathifi.co.uk/forums/p/12574/83021.aspx#83021, iPod playing lossless vs CD player. Which one do you think sounds better?

A

Anonymous

Sorry, I thought you had a CA 640c cd player. Which source are you using for your amp?

A

Anonymous

At the moment I am just using an ipod in a dock as my source. Pushing some old akai speakers.

Any recomendations for speakers to aim for?

I am not looking for massive volume either. Just good quality.

A

Anonymous

Oh if you are in a 70s disco mood you could always buy some Wharfedale E20s/30s/50s/70s (50s probably your best bet) for under £50...type in "Wharfedale E" into google and you will get some results.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts