Separates vs (Naim) all-in-ones: the big thread

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I know there are plenty of threads here that touch on this topic but none seem wholly concerned with it. This one is. In my rather drawn out search for a top-quality sound system, one big dilemma I'm facing is between buying a few separate boxes (probably Rega Brio + Rega DAC + Rega RS1 speakers; or Naim + Neat) or going for an all-in-one. My question is, if I chose the latter, would I be compromising on quality? Would it be less than the sum of its parts? I am thinking specifically of the Naim UnitiQute, which is supposed to use an amp derived from the Naim 5i, plus a quality pre-amp and DC. Would the UnitiQute indeed be as good as buying these separately?

And surely all-in-ones represent the future, given that people will increasingly be streaming their music? Or do these single boxes stop you upgrading when digital technology improves?

Considered arguments here, please.

Yup, this topic has a well trodden history. No arguments, hope just discussion.

Anyway, not heard the Unitis but have lots of experience with Naim separarates (the Unitis basically have the Nait 5i internals).

Couldn't say about Rega, although it does come with a hefty reputation, and both Naim and Rega work well together.

The only issue I can see with the Qute is the 30 watt per channel power. It shouldn't be an issue if you play at low to medium levels, but if you crank it up it maybe found wanting.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
SimonDB said:
I know there are plenty of threads here that touch on this topic but none seem wholly concerned with it. This one is. In my rather drawn out search for a top-quality sound system, one big dilemma I'm facing is between buying a few separate boxes (probably Rega Brio + Rega DAC + Rega RS1 speakers; or Naim + Neat) or going for an all-in-one. My question is, if I chose the latter, would I be compromising on quality? Would it be less than the sum of its parts? I am thinking specifically of the Naim UnitiQute, which is supposed to use an amp derived from the Naim 5i, plus a quality pre-amp and DC. Would the UnitiQute indeed be as good as buying these separately?

And surely all-in-ones represent the future, given that people will increasingly be streaming their music? Or do these single boxes stop you upgrading when digital technology improves?

Considered arguments here, please.

I think it's good you are opening discussions on you future purchase, after all it's going to be with you for a long long time. I think the Naim all in one units will provide you with superb sound quality.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
As someone who has...

(1) owned an all Naim entry-level seperates system for two years... (2) owned an all Rega system for 11 years... (3) owns an all-in-one system... (4) has heard the NaimUniti and 'Qute and the latest Rega Brio-R/Rega DAC offerings with Rega and PMC bookshelf and floorstanding speakers...

...I would advise personally hearing the comparisons at a dealer who stocks Rega and Naim and then (if possible) hearing the best contenders at home before making a final purchase decision.

The potential options you list run from about £1400 to £3500 per system (including speakers). So your expectations should be realistic in this respect. Having said that, I am sure you'll get one or two pleasant suprises in your research :)

This exercise cannot be done satisfactorily on a forum thread.

You must assess your needs (quality/convenience/space/funds/features etc.) hear all the options and weigh them up.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
When I was first looking at streaming I got quite excited about some of the Naim stuff but got a bit wobbly about the amplification.

I like to play music LOUD

A

Anonymous

Great advice, and the forum's only been up for half an hour.

To restate the question: would the sound quality of the Naim UnitiQute be as good as a Naim5i, plus the equivalent DAC and using the same speakers?

Don't worry, I do intend to listen to these choices!

SB

A

Anonymous

I like playing it loud, too, but I live in an average-sized London flat and so can't, often, otherwise my neighbours will take revenge! That's another requirement: a system that will sound OK at low to medium volumes.

SB

Juzzie Wuzzie

Chebby's comments should be set in GOLD. Best, concise advice seen in a long time.

I am tempted by the Uniti-Lite, but have no need for a CD player. Thus, I can't see the justification from upgrading from my Naim Nait 5i-2 + Airport Express + ithingy + Neat Iotas. Arguably it is a 'one box' system that does everything the Lite does, except spin discs / provide a DAC. Not sure I can justify the c.£800 extra for a Lite in my sst-up (as I also run an AV amp). That said, if I was starting again fresh, I would go either the Lite or the Superuniti, and run two channels, even for AV.

Not sure if I'm helping or hindering, but just presenting a different view.

jerry klinger

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
...I would advise personally hearing the comparisons at a dealer who stocks Rega and Naim and then (if possible) hearing the best contenders at home before making a final purchase decision.

Absolutely. I took the Unitiqute home a while ago and thought it sounded absolutely feeble, both as an amp and as a digital source component through a more capable amp (using the variable output). Nicely put together, but you'd do better with a Marantz into a better DAC IMHO.

Since when I've been using the ND5XS - a far superior proposition. With Naim, you'll get a quality product but you'll pay for it, and I'm not convinced that the all-in-ones are that great value compared to what's out there now.

Your room, ears & speakers all count towards a decision.

kungula

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
If you choose the right all- in -ones you will not compromise on quality. I auditioned to many other separates before choosing the SU. With the Neat Elite it is the perfect combination for me.

And you should save some money and many cables also.

:)

A

Anonymous

Sadly the SU is out of my budget range.

Any good reports on the UnitiQute?

S

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hi, SimonDB, I'm into the second week of NaimUniti ownership, and am very happy with it. It replaced my Avondale AAA5+/Naim 72-140/Arcam tuner, plus a Little Dot 3 headphone amp, which I thought were brilliant, but now the music makes more sense. Instruments are better defined, there's more oomph from 50w against 40w, and all the PRaT expected, and still improving. And fortunately my wife agrees.

I also now have internet and DAB radio, plus streaming capability, USB and iPod inputs, plus digital inputs to a (presumably) excellent (oh, ok, a fairly competent) DAC. I chose the Uniti because I'm not too interested in streaming, being more CD-oriented, but still have the option to add a NAS in the future.

The Uniti is one of the outgoing models, bought from a Naim dealer, cost less than the Lite, and was brought up to latest spec by Naim, so presumably similar deals can be had from other Naim dealers?

Of course, you don't have the ability to upgrade the separate parts of the single box, unless people who like to improve equipment investigate units they think have the potential to improve, but I'm sure someone will have a try.

But at the moment I now have much more room, less faffing, and a more family friendly hifi.

Good luck.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
i have posted on a few of the Naim all in one threads!

I spent 3 hours today at my localish dealer and listened to the following

Rega Brio r/Apollor r/DAC - playing CDS

Naim Unitiqute - playing 16/44 files

Naim Unitilite - playing 16/44 files & CDS

speakers used were RS1s with Silver Carnival cable

Conclusion is that while the untilite sounded very nice the Rega just sounds more cohesive & musical - I really cant justify getting shot of my Rega set up i just need to work out how im going to stream to my DAC

Thought the Unitiqute really struggled when i pushed the volume would be great as a bedroom system though

however this is only my opinion

A

Anonymous

Thanks, guys. Very useful. Steve Brock, couldn't you just stream using an Airport Express? About £80 from Apple.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
I'd be interested in hearing how you proceed with steaming to your Rega, stevebrock, because I'm considering the Unitiqute with Rega RS3 or RS, but can't help noticing all the positive comments about the all Rega combo.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Thanks, guys. Very useful. Steve Brock, couldn't you just stream using an Airport Express? About £80 from Apple.

Yes thats what I am doing now, streaming to an Airport Express, IMHO i tired a SBT to see what I thought of 24/96 files and in all honesty thought the sound was akin to a good vinyl recording - which is no bad thing as I love vinyl. I also thinks the Airport Express is less obstrusive than the SBT, I know the Airport Express wont stream 24/96 but I am happy playing vinyl & streaming 16/44 into the Rega DAC.

Im sticking with the all Rega set up as the Brio r has a superb phono stage too - so for me the Naim Super Uniti is not going to give me anything extra and I would have to buy a phono stage.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
calpark46 said:
I'd be interested in hearing how you proceed with steaming to your Rega, stevebrock, because I'm considering the Unitiqute with Rega RS3 or RS, but can't help noticing all the positive comments about the all Rega combo.

The Rega combo blows the Unitiqute out of the water!

A

Anonymous

Not sure I understand this 24/96 business, if anyone can explain. Why can't the Airport Express run such files?

S

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Not sure I understand this 24/96 business, if anyone can explain. Why can't the Airport Express run such files?

S

basically cds arew16/44 that is 44000 samples per second 16 bits per sample

in effect 24/96 has a higher resolution

my experience with 24/96 is that it sounds very smooth and less compressed/digital - similar to Vinyl, i have a TT so Im not bothered with it now

Airport Express will accept 24/96 but it will downsample it to 16/44 - its an apple thing they may enable it in the future

I personally would not bother with 24/96 - the files are expensive, and the SQ does not justify it when i can buy the same music on vinyl

jjbomber

Just back from the Hi-Fi dealers. I didn't find the Rega set up anywhere near the Uniti, so my money would go on the UnitiLite. But, and it is a big but, people will generally prefer what they already have. I am used to the Naim sound, having a Supernait, n-Vi and Uniti, so I would naturally favour that. Similarly, someone with a Rega sound will go for that. The differences are too marginal to swing the vote.

Let's put it another way. Say we were testing cars, BMW X5 v Audi Q5. I have a BMW X5, so I would pick that one. I'm used to the ride and I know where all the switches are etc. My cousin has a Q5 and he would pick that one for the same reasons. Neither of us is right and neither of us wrong as to which is the better. Someone who drives the Mercedes XL could give an 'indeoendent' view, as he has neither.

You are in the same position as the Mercedes driver. They are two new systems and you can choose which is best for you. It is a fresh start and you shouldn't have any bias to wards either one. It is a question of which sound you prefer.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Just back from the Hi-Fi dealers. I didn't find the Rega set up anywhere near the Uniti, so my money would go on the UnitiLite. But, and it is a big but, people will generally prefer what they already have. I am used to the Naim sound, having a Supernait, n-Vi and Uniti, so I would naturally favour that. Similarly, someone with a Rega sound will go for that. The differences are too marginal to swing the vote.

Let's put it another way. Say we were testing cars, BMW X5 v Audi Q5. I have a BMW X5, so I would pick that one. I'm used to the ride and I know where all the switches are etc. My cousin has a Q5 and he would pick that one for the same reasons. Neither of us is right and neither of us wrong as to which is the better. Someone who drives the Mercedes XL could give an 'indeoendent' view, as he has neither.

You are in the same position as the Mercedes driver. They are two new systems and you can choose which is best for you. It is a fresh start and you shouldn't have any bias to wards either one. It is a question of which sound you prefer.

EXACTLY!

Demo first then choose what you like!

A

Anonymous

Thanks, SteveBrock, for the explanation.

Well, just back from Robert Taussig, where I listened to the UnitiQute. It did sound a little underpowered to me. Unscientific, I know, but I wasn't all that moved by it. I have been most moved so far by a Nait 5i played with Neat Motive 3 speakers. But now I am investigating a Cyrus system. Will this ever end?

S

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Thanks, SteveBrock, for the explanation.

Well, just back from Robert Taussig, where I listened to the UnitiQute. It did sound a little underpowered to me. Unscientific, I know, but I wasn't all that moved by it. I have been most moved so far by a Nait 5i played with Neat Motive 3 speakers. But now I am investigating a Cyrus system. Will this ever end?

S

I think you need to hear the UnitiLite in that case. (If you haven't already.)

It, and the original NaimUniti, have amplifiers based on the 50 Watts pc Nait 5i amp. The UnitiQute is only 30 Watts pc.

A

Anonymous

Juzzie Wuzzie, thanks, yes, I am close to something like that but now also want to try the Cyrus 6A DAC. Thoughts thereon? It's very expandable.

Doubt I could afford the more expensive Naim all-in-one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts