Sennheiser HD650 or Alessandro MS2

spooky

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Hi - I currently have a pair of Senn HD25-1-II which are ok, but not quite the sound that I'm looking for. I like clarity of mids and trebles, but find that with higher notes (particularly at louder volumes) the Senns can be way too shrill. Also, I'm in no way a bass head, but find them a bit anemic with rock music (although they handle deep synths well enough).

Consequently, I like what I hear about the HD650 and MS2, as they both seem to what I'm looking for. The latter seems to take the good bits of the Grado SR325i, but add more bass and remove the tendancy to overly-bright highs. The former also seems to retain detail without headache-inducing treble, and have a pretty solid bass.

I like the idea of the Alessandro's as I've always wanted to try the Grado sound and was sort of looking at the new SR325e, but I'm assuming it will still be too bass-light for my tastes?

On the other hand, the HD650 is easily available (the Alessandro is not distributed in the UK) and very highly thought of.

If it makes any difference one way or another, I'd be driving them through an Aune T1 valve DAC/Amp.

I'd be greatful for any thoughts.

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'd probably go for the HD650.

The MS2 sounds virtually indistinguishable from the SR325i. there are differences, but they're incredibly subtle; I'd be shocked if anyone were able to tell them apart when blindfolded. Note: this goes for any Grado up to the RS1i - I've listended to most of them and (using the same earpads), they all sound essentially the same. (The RS1e has a new driver, apparently, so I'd expect it to sound a bit different.)

One Grado that might work for you is the PS500, which genuinely has more bass and also a softer high-end, but it's pretty expensive.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
samlowry said:
I'd probably go for the HD650.

The MS2 sounds virtually indistinguishable from the SR325i. there are differences, but they're incredibly subtle; I'd be shocked if anyone were able to tell them apart when blindfolded. Note: this goes for any Grado up to the RS1i - I've listended to most of them and (using the same earpads), they all sound essentially the same. (The RS1e has a new driver, apparently, so I'd expect it to sound a bit different.)

One Grado that might work for you is the PS500, which genuinely has more bass and also a softer high-end, but it's pretty expensive.

I'd go wih the 650 as having a more neutral (but slightly enhanced) bass. The PS500 upper bass hump tends to obscure the low bass, unless you can EQ it down a little around 90-100 hz. But the PS500 mids and highs are to die for.

samlowry

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
spooky said:
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitley try the PS500. Is the cheaper RS2i not as good?

The RS2i almost certainly won't sound significantly different from the SR325i. At one point I owned a 325i and an older RS2 (the version with the 'button') and I then sold the RS2 and bought an RS1i. I could hardly tell the difference between any of them, unless I really analysed the sound. They all have the same basic driver, which is 'tweaked' from model to model. In my opinion, the best value Grado is the 225. I currently have a 225e, and it's very good.

The PS500 has some extra venting to the rear of driver which increases the bass response, so it actually sounds quite different from the 'standard' Grado sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts