Headphones to go with my superuniti

Hi guy's looking for some advice on selecting a set of cans for the naim superuniti.....it only has a 3.5mm socket and I'm not entirely sure how capable it is...at the moment I have akg k550 and would like something open back for an alternative to the closed back design of the k550's and also the 550's are starting to show signs of their age(earpads cracking,cable not in the best of nik).I don't mind going second hand...was thinking of the senn hd600 but unsure how the SU would cope with the load......oh and I didn't really get on with my grado Sr 350i's that I off loaded last year. Unfortunately the superuniti doesn't have a conventional way of connecting a hp amp so for just now I'd be constrained by it's 3.5mm on board offering until I decide whether I want or need to add a headphone amp /dac (such as a chord mojo or similar type of unit)to the digital out of the SU as I understand that's the only way of connecting a headphone amp .I have a budget of around 300gbp's......nothing too sparkly at the top end with rich vocals preffered......if that's even possible.lol.

I did email naim for some information on the headphone section and the reply was that headphones between 16-600 ohms should be within acceptable parameters for superuniti to drive....but I know that there's more to it...sensitivity is one problem I'm aware of.

I know hp's are a very personal choice but demoing is impossible...so a shortlist from your good selves and extensive review reading is all I really have to go on...cheers for any help guy's.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi guy's looking for some advice on selecting a set of cans for the naim superuniti.....it only has a 3.5mm socket and I'm not entirely sure how capable it is...at the moment I have akg k550 and would like something open back for an alternative to the closed back design of the k550's and also the 550's are starting to show signs of their age(earpads cracking,cable not in the best of nik).I don't mind going second hand...was thinking of the senn hd600 but unsure how the SU would cope with the load......oh and I didn't really get on with my grado Sr 350i's that I off loaded last year. Unfortunately the superuniti doesn't have a conventional way of connecting a hp amp so for just now I'd be constrained by it's 3.5mm on board offering until I decide whether I want or need to add a headphone amp /dac (such as a chord mojo or similar type of unit)to the digital out of the SU as I understand that's the only way of connecting a headphone amp .I have a budget of around 300gbp's......nothing too sparkly at the top end with rich vocals preffered......if that's even possible.lol.

I did email naim for some information on the headphone section and the reply was that headphones between 16-600 ohms should be within acceptable parameters for superuniti to drive....but I know that there's more to it...sensitivity is one problem I'm aware of.

I know hp's are a very personal choice but demoing is impossible...so a shortlist from your good selves and extensive review reading is all I really have to go on...cheers for any help guy's.

You shouldn't have a problem with the HD600 using the Naim. Most headphone amps have 50 times less power than that.

OK thanks Dale......but I've absolutely ignored my own advice and went and ordered the hi-fi man he400i........I always do this.....walk into a store or whatever and come out with something totally different......should be with me Friday or Saturday.....I hope they're good.lol.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
OK thanks Dale......but I've absolutely ignored my own advice and went and ordered the hi-fi man he400i........I always do this.....walk into a store or whatever and come out with something totally different......should be with me Friday or Saturday.....I hope they're good.lol.

That might be a wiser choice. I think the sound will be smoother than the HD600, so if the highs are OK you should be all set.

Oh yes...these hi-fi man he400i are very nice indeed.....the sound they're producing is the finest I've heard so far..from a pair of cans....and that's including a pair of grado sr325i's, (not really my cup of tea though)and way beyond my akg k550's ...definitely keepers......and only through the 3.5mm socket in the SU.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Oh yes...these hi-fi man he400i are very nice indeed.....the sound they're producing is the finest I've heard so far..from a pair of cans....and that's including a pair of grado sr325i's, (not really my cup of tea though)and way beyond my akg k550's ...definitely keepers......and only through the 3.5mm socket in the SU.

Thanks for posting that. HiFiMan has made rapid progress since they started, and even though they make mega-quid headphones, they do things right on the lower price end too. Most manufacturers can't say that.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Thanks Dale...I will try and post a more thorough review when I have gotten used to their sound and let them bed in properly...

Good to hear you are enjoying them Mark. I have long been fascinated by owning planars but I have 3 pairs of headphones already so adding to them is a bit extreme. If it's possible how would you describe their sound compared to dynamic drivers?

I am actually contemplating selling my Denons which will free up funds to buy a different set.....but I am pretty attached to them (literally most days) as they are regarded as one of the classics.

Hi Paulq...I'll try and assess the he 400i in a bit more detail soon....as I'm still getting to grips with them....but so far the extended bass is great and they track a bass line extremely well.....I have noticed that the highs are a bit recessed compared to the grados I previously owned which in my book at the age of 46 is no bad thing as I couldn't take much more than a hour and a half of those sr325i's....I found lately that my akg k550's just couldn't really relay a male vocal very well (it could be the ear pads are shot)but the hi-fi man have really sorted that out and female vocals...laura Mailing ...karine Polwart are very accurate.....I'm fairly enjoying them....dynamics are handled very well also...I stuck on some of my poorer recordings (frightened Rabbit pedestrian verse)and as suspected it wasn't long before the he's were telling me that it was sh#t..lol.A album poorly recorded and a victim of the loudness wars...high range dynamics just crumbled into distortion....and the headphones laid this out bare in front of me.lol.then onto some jazz...I'm quite liking the ill considered album at the moment and the hi-fi man really excelled at tracking those bass rhythms and the timbre of the drums is right on point...I can hear the musicians giving it some" oh yeah" in the background and you feel that they're all nodding to each other in approval of the musicianship of each....the leading edge and the decay of a drum beat is also something that was noticeable and stood out for me......still to try out some heavier rock music though.....oh and they're very comfortable....I had these puppy's on for three hours last night and was still wanting more but unfortunately I had to be up for work in the morning.

As for comparing to dynamic drivers..I'm no headphone guru and wouldn't count myself versed in headphone listening as some on the forum and will shy away from such comparisons.......but I'm very pleased with them and I can only compare to what I've already owned.....akg k450...k550...grado sr125 and sr325i.... The planers have them all toasted.lol.imho.

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Mark. It's always difficult to convey what you hear in words so I will try and have a listen to them at some point but I am glad you like them. My Beyer DT880's are pretty much my go-to headphone for most things but they all give you a slightly different sound - that's the beauty of headphones.

I need to decide whether to stick or twist on the Denons.

Yes it's difficult to try and tell people how things sound....everyone hears different....I always end up comparing my headphones to my pmc's...which I know I shouldn't..as headphones and speakers are absolutely different ways of listening....but they are highly detailed and open sounding speakers..(Not bright)if a headphone can't convey some of that openness to me...then I'm afraid it's curtains.lol.....The hi-fi man he400i are doing a fine job and also have a pretty good bottom end to boot for an open back headphone ...no headphone is a Swiss army knife and I'm sure they will have shortcomings but at the moment I can't really find them....

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Yes it's difficult to try and tell people how things sound....everyone hears different....I always end up comparing my headphones to my pmc's...which I know I shouldn't..as headphones and speakers are absolutely different ways of listening....but they are highly detailed and open sounding speakers..(Not bright)if a headphone can't convey some of that openness to me...then I'm afraid it's curtains.lol.....The hi-fi man he400i are doing a fine job and also have a pretty good bottom end to boot for an open back headphone ...no headphone is a Swiss army knife and I'm sure they will have shortcomings but at the moment I can't really find them....

None of the planars I've had have been comparable to my better dynamics in the treble. Of course the ultimate treble resolver I had (Senn HD800) is in a league of its own, but headphones like the AKG K712 or Beyer T1/T90 also resolved better than my planars. And in making those comparisons I EQ'd the dynamics' treble down a bit and some of the planars up a bit, so I'd be comparing resolution more than comparing treble quantity. In spite of that, the latest by HiFiMan should have an excellent response, so I'd just tweak it a bit if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts