Question Audeze or Hifiman?

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I'm looking for some insight into the different experiences of these planar magnetic headphones. I had heard a lot about Audeze's isine 20s and prefer in ear so this looked like the answer for me. However, it appears you can't get them in the UK for love nor money. So I've also been looking at over ears - Audeze's lcds and Hifiman 400i and 560 instead. These would be for home use but still hooked to portable devices.

In terms of equipment, I have an iPhone XR and an AK Kann both with Tidal subscription. Currently using Shure se425s which I've persisted with but I just don't like them - sound is just way too skinny - analytical without any real substance that leave me feeling cold about the music. I also have the Sony WF-1000XM3s which I use out of the house and absolutely love. I've also had a pair of Grado se80es but found the reproduction really tiring after a while. Not a pair of cans you can wear for very long.

On of the issues would be whether I'd need something like the chord mojo to properly power the hifiman cans? One of the reasons I was so drawn to the isine 20s was the reviews of their amazing compatibility with iPhone without a need for extra amplification. No issues with the AK Kann though as this has a wonderful internal DAC/Amp.

D

Deleted member 188533

I just can't bring myself to buy a pair of HifiMan headphones as some estimates say as many as 20% of the headbands break. They may have fixed that with the new Sundara style headband. The Sundara is also quite well reviewed.

Audeze...what's your budget? The new LCD 1 is pretty good but you can probably do better for the money. The LCD 2C ( Classic ) is too warm for my taste. The mids are quite recessed. The regular LCD 2 is where things start to get good. The LCD X is on my list of headphones to own.

Don't be fooled by the low ohm ratings. All these planars need a powerful amp to get anywhere near their potential out of them.

Reactions: Al ears

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
I just can't bring myself to buy a pair of HifiMan headphones as some estimates say as many as 20% of the headbands break. They may have fixed that with the new Sundara style headband. The Sundara is also quite well reviewed.

Audeze...what's your budget? The new LCD 1 is pretty good but you can probably do better for the money. The LCD 2C ( Classic ) is too warm for my taste. The mids are quite recessed. The regular LCD 2 is where things start to get good. The LCD X is on my list of headphones to own.

Don't be fooled by the low ohm ratings. All these planars need a powerful amp to get anywhere

I’ve ended up with a choice

audeze lcd i3

or

audeze isine 20 with a chord mojo

either option weighs in at around 650

I really wish I could test them but this bloody lockdown makes this impossible.

D

Deleted member 188533

I much prefer over ear headphones to IEMs so I really don't know anything about either of those.

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
The on ear/in ear thing is such an issue of personal taste. I'm just the opposite and have never really got on very well with on ear headphones. So my listening experience with headphones is 90% in ear and based on portable media. The desire to get a proper audiophile IEM is down to wanting to do more home listening during and beyond this lockdown and to make more use of my AK Kann (which really isn't very portable at all!).

I've gone for the Audeze LCD i3 IEMs. Happy to report back on performance in due course in case anyone is interested.

JonB1001

Jul 31, 2014
Visit site
Well, the audeze lcd i3s arrived last night. First impressions are that they are superb. I was getting worried I’d overhyped and over spent before they arrived but that first listen was a revelation. The detail, expression and depth in tracks I thought I already knew inside out was astonishing. I’ll post a proper review soon - after I’ve spent some more time with them over the weekend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts