Selection of the right cartridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
Perhaps try ClearAudio Classic wood. Suggested it so many times yet I've hardly had a reply. Tracks at fairly light weights, fabulous all-round performer...

:cry:

I've not had experience with the Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood but seems a nice cartridge for the money. However seeing as the OP is using it on old second-hand vinyl I would not consider that 'tracks at fairly light weights' to be a particularly good thing. :)

Dunno - I think anyone with vinyl has a decent selection of used records, including me. Some of mine are 30 years old and quite ropey. The ClearAudio deals with them well.

Before buying it I heard a price compatible Ortofon (can't remember the model - it was 5 years ago) but it had the better balance, although TBVH, my turntable isn't a prime top-end affair. Impressive all-rounder; the bass is tight and well defined; the midrange and treble is full-bodied and insightful. I certainly wouldn't change it for any cartridge, even if or when I upgrade the turntable.

plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
Perhaps try ClearAudio Classic wood. Suggested it so many times yet I've hardly had a reply. Tracks at fairly light weights, fabulous all-round performer...

I've not had experience with the Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood but seems a nice cartridge for the money. However seeing as the OP is using it on old second-hand vinyl I would not consider that 'tracks at fairly light weights' to be a particularly good thing. :)

Dunno - I think anyone with vinyl has a decent selection of used records, including me. Some of mine are 30 years old and quite ropey. The ClearAudio deals with them well.

Before buying it I heard a price compatible Ortofon (can't remember the model - it was 5 years ago) but it had the better balance, although TBVH, my turntable isn't a prime top-end affair. Impressive all-rounder; the bass is tight and well defined; the midrange and treble is full-bodied and insightful. I certainly wouldn't change it for any cartridge, even if or when I upgrade the turntable.

Hi PP, I was in no way trying to denigrate your cartridge suggestion, I am sure it is excellent.

I was, howver, unsure of the OP's financial budget and looking at the kit he is talking about I thought it unlikely he would want to put a cartridge that cost £170 (replacement stylus in order of £100) on a deck that costs £220.

The Shure cartridge was suggested as a cheaper option.

Alears said:
plastic penguin said:
Alears said:
plastic penguin said:

Hi PP, I was in no way trying to denigrate your cartridge suggestion, I am sure it is excellent.

I was, howver, unsure of the OP's financial budget and looking at the kit he is talking about I thought it unlikely he would want to put a cartridge that cost £170 (replacement stylus in order of £100) on a deck that costs £220.

The Shure cartridge was suggested as a cheaper option.

Thought I'd throw the ClearAudio in the mix and see how it goes.

Shure cartridges of the past were certainly good value for money - I used have the M55E, which was very feisty sounding, and incredibly high MVs. Likewise, Goldring maybe a good choice. I used to own the old G800...

TBH, I couldn't say how the modern versions compare to the OPs existing Ortofon.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Guys,

Thanks a lot. I am staying at Kolkata, India. Needledoctor will deliver the stuff to my address.

So, the suggestions are Nagaoka MP110, Clearaudio, Shure, Grado. I can go upto USD120 for the cartridge.

Let me check the price of all.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Forget the Red, its bright and orrible . The Grado is well within your budget can you source one of those, if so how much ?. Thank your lucky stars that you live where you do as the Naga price here is over budget !.

Things are still getting a little lost in translation I see.

Not sure what price you are paying for these cartridges sumit.india but based on prices here in the UK and your budget of 120 dollars (equals £75) then the suggested Grado Prestige Black would be well within your budget (if purchase in UK).

That leaves the Nagaoka which you can get for £74 here in the UK (ie only just within your budget)

Personally I would still go for the Shure as it will track better on older vinyl. :)

I would also suggest you look at the costs of replacement stylus and factor this into your decision.

TRENDING THREADS