Selection of the right cartridge

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Dear Friends,

This is Sumit from India.

I am having a Rega RP1 and the preamp is CA551P.

The TT has a factory fitted Ortofon OM5e. I generally listen to OLD, worn LPs, which I am use to buy from second hand sales.

Want to change my cartridge, because, I am not getting the right feel of the venyl except severe clicks, pops and surface noise.

I have tested those records to other TT (Technics with same set up) and those are sounding quite well.

My choice of music is classical, rock(alternatives),disco,vocal and instrumental.

Want to change my cartridge to get the right sound with less clicks,pops and surface noise.

Please suggest... :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Get your records cleaned and exercise more care when choosing old LPs. Buy the ones in the best condition and clean them/have them cleaned before playing them. Buy anti-static inner sleeves.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Chebby...Already did that. Those records are performing nicely in Technics (with the same set up), but the cartridge is different.

Please suggest...which one, I should buy

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Get your records cleaned and exercise more care when choosing old LPs. Buy the ones in the best condition and clean them/have them cleaned before playing them. Buy anti-static inner sleeves.

Yeah but yeah but !!. I've bought some s/h albums that looked absolute minters. Then i dropped the stylus on em :O.

Visual condition accounts for jack 's' in the s/h dept. You never can tell tbh.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Floyd,

You are absolutely right. Actually in our country record pressing is closed from 1990, so We need to go for the S/H LPs only. I have also heard about Nagaoka MP110. What do you think, is it an upgrade over Ortofon OM5e, in terms of the total performance?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Please suggest :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: Blimey ! you dont ask for much do you ;). Well, with no budget to play with but considering your set up perhaps a Nagaoka MP110. Nagas, by all accounts, are pretty kind in the surface noise dept.

Of course this depends on how the Naga + your arm TT and phono get along. No guarantees in this vinyl mularky.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
sumit.india said:
Floyd,

You are absolutely right. Actually in our country record pressing is closed from 1990, so We need to go for the S/H LPs only. I have also heard about Nagaoka MP110. What do you think, is it an upgrade over Ortofon OM5e, in terms of the total performance?

Hi Sumit. I have ammended my first post so have a look. Would the Naga be an upgrade ?. Well being as i think Ortofons are rank,then i will say yes,lol.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Its a tricky one is this sumit. Some carts dig deeper into the groove thus enabling them to cope with groove damage better, but they come at a price. Without spending huge amounts of money,which quite frankly would be silly, perhaps you are in the postion to buy a couple of cheaper carts and try them side by side. Grado's Prestige Black may be worth a try.

Benz are excellent in the record condition /noise dept, but i think even the Ace would be over the top for your TT/arm.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Regarding Grado..

I have got a link

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Black1-Prestige-Series-Phono-Cartridges?sc=2&category=374

Is it the one, you are suggesting??

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
I have got a link:-

http://www.needledoctor.com/Grado-Black1-Prestige-Series-Phono-Cartridges?sc=2&category=374

Is it the one, you are suggesting?? Please reply.... :shifty: :shifty:

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Technics is carrying Audio Technica AT120E.

In Technics, I was gettting much better sound but the clicks, pops and surface noise was almost the same.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I think we're struggling with the language barrier, Sumit, because up to this point I thought you were telling us the Technics gave you the sound you were looking for. Now I'm a bit lost.

sumit.india

May 22, 2012
Visit site
Friends,

I have never mentioned, in Technics, no noise had been obtained. The same record was sounding much better.

I know, it's a better turntable than Rega RP1, but, I think, the cartridge is playing a vital role, where as sound reproduction is concerned.

I had started this thread to get the suggestion for the right cartridge for my records.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Aha i sussed it ,lol. Hi summit, how are you getting on finding cartridges out there. Out of interest can you buy them localy or do you have to import ?. India but where exactly. This is why the internet is brilliant, I loves stuff like this I does. :).

plastic penguin said:
Perhaps try ClearAudio Classic wood. Suggested it so many times yet I've hardly had a reply. Tracks at fairly light weights, fabulous all-round performer...

:cry:

I've not had experience with the Clearaudio Aurum Classic Wood but seems a nice cartridge for the money. However seeing as the OP is using it on old second-hand vinyl I would not consider that 'tracks at fairly light weights' to be a particularly good thing. :)

Sumit_India I think I know the cartridge you should buy. I should have remembered as fitted one to my brothers deck last year.

You should look at the Shure M97xE. This is a reasonably cheap cartridge that is readily available from Amazon or others. It has a flip down 'Dynamic Stabiliser' that is specifically designed for older or slightly warped records. It helps reduce sonic rumble. This requires a slightly heavier tracking weight (in the order of 2gms if I remember correctly) when in use. Ideally this cartridge has a fairly cheap replacement stylus also, should the original get damaged.

Check website below for review.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-accessories/shure-m97xe-940823/review

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts