Secondary Speakers or just new amp?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Not got an Icon Audio Stereo 40 amp yet – will be getting one soon.

In the mean time I am borrowing a pair of refurbished Heybrook HB1 speakers with stands.

They sound good but a bit bright with bass a bit lacking compared to the Quad 21L2's.

Very good imaging/sound stage.

They are similar in style to other speakers I've considered such as Spendor & Harbeth, large stand mount with 8” woofer, but cost 20 times less.

Worth getting for occasional use, maybe dedicated stereo use when I get the Icon Audio amp?

Or best to keep it simple and stick with the Quad speakers that I know work very well with the Icon Audio amp?

I had the original HB1's when they first came out (living in Plymouth I thought I'd buy local) and they came very highly rated. They still are.

Good sensitiviity (90dB) means they are great for low power valve amps, I'd hang on to them.

I later progressed to one of the first of the HB3's which were delivered and set up in my house by the man himself, hows that for service.

I let these go a good few years ago and that, I think, was a mistake. Worth trackung down if you have a large room otherwise the HB1's better for stereo imaging.

You could do better with some of the new speakers around but it's going to cost quite a bit to get the same quality.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm undecided about these speakers.

They do sound good, having the flaws & good qualities mentioned in my first post.

Only £100.00 but that could go toward the Icon Audio amp.

I know no one can decide for me but what are your opinions?

FennerMachine said:
I'm undecided about these speakers.

They do sound good, having the flaws & good qualities mentioned in my first post.

Only £100.00 but that could go toward the Icon Audio amp.

I know no one can decide for me but what are your opinions?

Keep your Quads and buy more music. :)

Or try and find a second-hand pair of these:-

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/icon-audio-mfv-3-mkii-speakers-pair

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Demoed those Icon Audio speakers - nice sounding.

Not better enough over my Quads to buy them though.

I think your right - stick with the quads (was planning on keeping them anyway) and return the Heybrook's.

It was worth demoing the Heybrook's at home - now I know that the best combo I have heard, taking into account the cost, is the Quad speakers I already have with the Icon Audio Stereo 40 amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts