second-hand amp for Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8s

royu

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask You for a help/recommendation to choose an amp for around L300-350 second-hand to my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8s.

I listen to mainly Rock (from Tori Amos to Slayer:) so I need an amplifier with a bit of life to it, which isn't going to sound very harsh. I don't play music particularly loud, apart from on the odd occasion.

I'm not expecting anything massive given the constraints, but would still like to hear people's opinions.

I mainly considered following amps:

Marantz PM7003/7004

Arcam DiVA A85

Arcam FMJ A22

Rotel RA1520

Rotel RA11

Cheers!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Marantz gets recommended for MS in the showroom by the dealer where I bought my B&Ws. They distribute amps from these brands Marantz, Rotel, Harman, Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Mcintosh.

royu

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

I originally thought about Marantz, but then I read that pm7003/7004 amps have mostly uncomplimentary opinons and other amps in that price (second-hand) are proposed e.g. Arcam, Rotel.

Does anyone tested any of follwoing amps with Mezzo 8 or maybe recommend something else?

I would be very grateful for any advice.

Campaign

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have the Mezzo 6 with a Rotel RA 1520 which is a pretty good pairing and im quite happy with it, however I can't help but feeling that the added warmth of Arcam would go really well with the Mezzo sound. I'd look into a Marantz PM8003 or a Roksan K2 as well, its hard to demo with second hand kit I understand but you can always have a listen in a hifi store to the amps with other speakers they are selling jsut to get an idea of the amplifiers sound.

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
royu said:
Hi Guys,

I would like to ask You for a help/recommendation to choose an amp for around L300-350 second-hand to my Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8s.

I listen to mainly Rock (from Tori Amos to Slayer:) so I need an amplifier with a bit of life to it, which isn't going to sound very harsh. I don't play music particularly loud, apart from on the odd occasion.

I'm not expecting anything massive given the constraints, but would still like to hear people's opinions.

I mainly considered following amps:

Marantz PM7003/7004

Arcam DiVA A85

Arcam FMJ A22

Rotel RA1520

Rotel RA11

Cheers!

I have a Marantz PM7001 amp and SA7001 SA-CD player spare and for sale if you want to make me a serious/sensible offer.

royu

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Thanks.

Does Rotel RA1520 sound like Rotel RA11?

I heard RA11 with PSB T6 image speakers and it was very clean and dynamic but sometimes too bright (maybe because of this setup).

I wonder if one of the mentioned Arcam amps will sound more warm while maintaining good detail.

If so which one (Arcam DiVA A85 vs FMJ A22) would you buy being in my place?

I also thought about PM8003/8004 or pearl lite but both are hard-to-reach on the secondary market and usually beyond the budget.

royu

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
I like them very much. They play musically and culturally without coloration. Scene is nice. Actually that's my fist "serious" set of speakers but I heard some setups in hifi shops.

They are currently driven by my old stereo receiver (Denon) but I know they deserve for better source. I expect more details and emotions but keeping warm sound in rock music.

I mainly think about Arcam DiVa A85 or Rotel RA1520.

kefrdm2

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I run a marantz pm11s1 with my mezzo 6 speakers and love the warm sound marantz amps produce. D&M who own marantz and denon were the original distributors of MS speakers and they always used to demo them together at the bristol show, I think actually KI might have even had some input on the design of the mezzo range. I would personally have a look at some of the older KI stuff, I used to have a PM7200KI which was great. If not a PM7001ki or PM-Ki lite would be a nice fit. Let me know what you decide and how you get on.

royu

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Your marantz pm11s1 plays in a different league than quoted earlier by me. By far beyond the assumed budget. BTW your entire set is impressive.

I have an offer for 3 amps in the same price:

Marantz PM8003

Arcam A85

Rotel RA1520

I suppose You guys will recommend PM8003, don't you?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts