second hand amp sub £100-£150 - recommendations please!

niccapotamus

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
Hi helpful chaps. I'm hoping to pick up some Mordaunt short 914 speakers (see other thread) and would like a reccomendation for a second hand amplifier to pair with them. It is for a budget (will have streamed audio via wifi mainly) setup in our large kitchen diner area

so sub £100 or £150 max second hand amp recommendations please

and thanks so much for your help - as I've no knowledge you guys are really helpful

nick

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Given the budget, I would avoid the obvious, popular items sell quickly and cost more.

If you are planning to keep the amp for a while look at what is available in your particular market and research specific models as they become available.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I would second the suggestion for the NAD 3020 and also the Sony ES, vastly underrated amps. I think because Sony are such a mass consumer brand many in HiFi often turn their nose up at it but some of their amps are fantastic.

A quick check of your speakers suggested a sensitivity of 89db which is just about in the sensible range for a Tripath amp such as Amptastic Mini-1 if you don’t need multiple inputs http://www.amptastic.com/ I have the previous version the Mini-T which I bought just to satisfy my curiosity and for the money, with the right speakers they are ridiculously good.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Ketan Bharadia said:
Hello, you can't really go wrong with budget Rotels, Denons, Cambridges or Marantzs. It's worth giving NAD's 3020 a go too.

+1

If you can get a rotel ra04 or 05, that would sound great.

Cambridge a5, or 650a

And nads and denons. I'm not sure about marants as I thought they can sound bright and you speakers have metal tweeters which would make them sound even brighter.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
There are a good selection of NAD models which should fit the bill nicely. The 3020, the C320, C340, C350 & C352 are all worth checking out.

The Pioneer A-400 or A-300R are also highly respected. Not sure if the A-300R is easy to come by or how much they go for, but it is considered better than the A-400 just not as popular.

Also Denon, Rotel, Marantz and Cambridge Audio have good pedigree in entry to mid level amps and hugely popular, so there should be plenty of choice. I personally really like NAD amps and think you'd be hard pressed to find better value/performance at this level.

niccapotamus

Nov 12, 2014
Visit site
thanks for your help everyone sorting out the wood for the trees.

picked up the Mordaunt Short 914's on Sunday and have a NAD320 on its way. Bargain set up which I hope will sound great in the kitchen/diner

cheers

nick

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
niccapotamus said:
thanks for your help everyone sorting out the wood for the trees.

picked up the Mordaunt Short 914's on Sunday and have a NAD320 on its way. Bargain set up which I hope will sound great in the kitchen/diner

cheers

nick

Pleased you have made your purchases. I hope you new bargain set up brings you plenty of enjoyment!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts