Schiit yggdrassil dac

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
jonathanRD said:
grimharry said:
insider9 said:
Only questionable thing for me is the naming of their products. If I was younger I might have thought that owning Fulla Schiit headphone amp dac would be cool. Probably not anymore.

yeah all sounds a bit schiit to me*biggrin*

And WTF is yggdrassil ? is this some foreign language or have missed something really obvious?
I bow to Al's knowhow here, as I was wondering if it was Icelandic. During a wonderful holiday there, some years back, I was fascinated by their language.

PS. Love the Cyrus acronym!

S

SemiChronic

I know, but when I think of Cyrus . . I think of the 80s plastic revolution, with nonces and details and they got away with it. Expectation bias was rife allegedly . .

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

When I think of Cambridge audio amplification I think of good at its budget bracket but not in the league of other brands like Cyrus signature stuff or good naim stuff etc, same with relative budget tannoy against decent kef, pmc, pro ac, etc. That's why Cambridge audio sell mainly budget stuff in richer sounds etc.

But then again everyone's hi fi is perfect isn't it, and can't be bettered by anything else.... . incidentally I'd probably have premium Cambridge audio amps but they stop at budget levels, and I want and have better stuff.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

grimharry said:
Any supposition based on one or more assumptions is no more than a guess and therefore isn't worth a Barclays. In my opinion I hasten to add. Unless its be a and b'd there is no proof positive or negative.

of course, people can carry on thinking that a relative cheaper dac outclasses a pricier one, with no understanding of economic principles and why chord sell their dacs like the Dave at £8000 and Cambridge audio maybe sell dacs in £100's. I sometimes wonder if people on this forum wonder why something generally outclasses another when you spend more, in an economic context?

S

SemiChronic

Omg . . . He really takes it personally!

You must know were all laughing at you . . <<smiley thing>>

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looks like a pile of rubbish. 

Tell what you have again?

can you tell us what you have. Speakers on plastic boxes?

Those are my old atc's ontop of books and wooden crate.

Have you heard of ATC?

Fyi: ATC is the company that designed the original 3 inch midrange dome that PMC copied

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
the reviews of the schiit dac in contention here. Naim and Cyrus make very good kit. No doubt. But they are not the only ones who can do it . From what I know of dac tech, which isn't much. The schiit is one of those very few DAC's that don't use guess work in the conversion. And in the reviews they are not even comparing it with 3000 or 10000 USD DAC's. The comparison's are being made with 15k Berkeley's and 35k Vivaldi's.

Wishful thinking it may be on my part, but I wanted to share it here. As I felt that many people aren't aware of its existence. I feel this is a dac we ignore at our own peril :)

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
newlash09 said:
the reviews of the schiit dac in contention here. Naim and Cyrus make very good kit. No doubt. But they are not the only ones who can do it . From what I know of dac tech, which isn't much. The schiit is one of those very few DAC's that don't use guess work in the conversion. And in the reviews they are not even comparing it with 3000 or 10000 USD DAC's. The comparison's are being made with 15k Berkeley's and 35k Vivaldi's.

Wishful thinking it may be on my part, but I wanted to share it here. As I felt that many people aren't aware of its existence. I feel this is a dac we ignore at our own peril :)

well put and there is no reason why it can't be a giant slayer

insider9

newlash09 said:

If all goes to plan I should be comparing Modi Multibit vs Chord Mojo and a couple of others. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

I know it's not the level discussed here but will be interesting comparison nevertheless.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
newlash09 said:

If all goes to plan I should be comparing Modi Multibit vs Chord Mojo and a couple of others. Probably in the next couple of weeks.

I know it's not the level discussed here but will be interesting comparison nevertheless.

can I take it you'll be posting your findings?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've got loads and loads and loads of friends on another forum that all have Cyrus signature systems - they took it down as a test to richer sounds to compare against Cambridge audio.
To the supprise of everyone, the Cambridge audio amp under £1000 was the better sounding. They asked the salesman how come an amp cost so little can sound better than more expensive signature kit and he just said....
'because we buy in bulk'

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Yeah...the schiit's have always been VFM offerings. And the yggdrassil as per their own admission is priced out of their comfort zone.

Will look forward to your impressions insider9. Will be interested to see what you think :)

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
I've got loads and loads and loads of friends on another forum that all have Cyrus signature systems - they took it down as a test to richer sounds to compare against Cambridge audio. To the supprise of everyone, the Cambridge audio amp under £1000 was the better sounding. They asked the salesman how come an amp cost so little can sound better than more expensive signature kit and he just said.... 'because we buy in bulk'

well you obviously don't understand one of the first rules of economics. To sell at the highest possible price. For we are greedy us humans, and rightly in an economic context.

If the £1500 Cambridge audio single amp performed as well as the Cyrus £7k-£10k sig system mate in performance terms, and other besides at similar money to the Cyrus sig system, Cambridge audio would be selling it at the highest price and if they wanted to sell it in volume they'd have it at a higher price but competing with the Cyrus. Something tells me you don't understand much about how markets actually work. Doh!

But your logic is to think all your stuff is best because nothing can beat my system..... your logic is that you spend less to get more. Oh yes it's in bulk. Of course!

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
Andrewjvt said:
Looks like a pile of rubbish.

Tell what you have again?

can you tell us what you have. Speakers on plastic boxes?

Those are my old atc's ontop of books and wooden crate.

Have you heard of ATC?

Fyi: ATC is the company that designed the original 3 inch midrange dome that PMC copied

atc are a bloody good brand. Like them a lot. They must be superb and nothing better if pmc copied them.

What is your set up and amplification?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts