• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Schiit yggdrassil dac

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Leif

New member
May 11, 2014
26
1
0
grimharry said:
Must admit I have no experience of external dacs but have considered them in the past and to a certain extent at the moment for a future purchase as the streamer I'm using may well benefit if Spotify hi res turns up. It has sentimental value so changing it would be difficult.

I hope I've been sufficiently polite.*biggrin*
Well young man, I think you should be justifiably proud of upholding the high standards of this forum, and preserving its status as a bastion of civility and manners. Have I been sufficiently polite? Not sure what the subject was, I seem to have forgotten ...
 

grimharry

New member
Aug 2, 2015
11
0
0
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Must admit I have no experience of external dacs but have considered them in the past and to a certain extent at the moment for a future purchase as the streamer I'm using may well benefit if Spotify hi res turns up. It has sentimental value so changing it would be difficult.

I hope I've been sufficiently polite.*biggrin*
Well young man, I think you should be justifiably proud of upholding the high standards of this forum, and preserving its status as a bastion of civility and manners. Have I been sufficiently polite? Not sure what the subject was, I seem to have forgotten ...
The original point is of no importance as it' has been a pleasure to converse with such a kind gentleman
 

Leif

New member
May 11, 2014
26
1
0
grimharry said:
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Must admit I have no experience of external dacs but have considered them in the past and to a certain extent at the moment for a future purchase as the streamer I'm using may well benefit if Spotify hi res turns up. It has sentimental value so changing it would be difficult.

I hope I've been sufficiently polite.*biggrin*
Well young man, I think you should be justifiably proud of upholding the high standards of this forum, and preserving its status as a bastion of civility and manners. Have I been sufficiently polite? Not sure what the subject was, I seem to have forgotten ...
The original point is of no importance as it' has been a pleasure to converse with such a kind gentleman
*biggrin*
 

tonky

New member
Jan 2, 2008
36
0
0
Least said soonest mended - leave qfttn alone - he has issues - it's a hifi forum - not a site for petty battles. Try and keep the higher moral ground please.

All this petty to and fro ing doesn't do anyone any good. I know you feel slighted ( the tone and content of your reply seems to reflects that) and you have a right to reply etc - but in this case it really is best left.

regards tonky

ps I have a CA 850A v2 - it's very loud and powerful. Very clear and spacious but I find it a little dry and thin sounding (on some material) and the bass isn't as full as I'd like
 

Al ears

Moderator
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Must admit I have no experience of external dacs but have considered them in the past and to a certain extent at the moment for a future purchase as the streamer I'm using may well benefit if Spotify hi res turns up. It has sentimental value so changing it would be difficult.

I hope I've been sufficiently polite.*biggrin*
Well young man, I think you should be justifiably proud of upholding the high standards of this forum, and preserving its status as a bastion of civility and manners. Have I been sufficiently polite? Not sure what the subject was, I seem to have forgotten ...
The original point is of no importance as it' has been a pleasure to converse with such a kind gentleman
*biggrin*
Glad to see such civility still exists. I'm off for a jolly old G and T now, 'coz I think I need it. Was so shocked by some outflowing that I accidentally played half my latest MOFI album at 33.3rpm instead of 45 before I actually realised it..... ;-)
 

grimharry

New member
Aug 2, 2015
11
0
0
Al ears said:
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Leif said:
grimharry said:
Must admit I have no experience of external dacs but have considered them in the past and to a certain extent at the moment for a future purchase as the streamer I'm using may well benefit if Spotify hi res turns up. It has sentimental value so changing it would be difficult.

I hope I've been sufficiently polite.*biggrin*
Well young man, I think you should be justifiably proud of upholding the high standards of this forum, and preserving its status as a bastion of civility and manners. Have I been sufficiently polite? Not sure what the subject was, I seem to have forgotten ...
The original point is of no importance as it' has been a pleasure to converse with such a kind gentleman
*biggrin*
Glad to see such civility still exists. I'm off for a jolly old G and T now, 'coz I think I need it. Was so shocked by some outflowing that I accidentally played half my latest MOFI album at 33.3rpm instead of 45 before I actually realised it..... ;-)
Sipping Sauvignon Blanc and hoping for a refined cultural evening.
 

newlash09

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2015
219
45
10,820
the op here. I must be thankful to All ears for getting me back to the subject again :)

Will I actually buy this dac?The only two components I will consider in the future to replace or add in my setup is a sub woofer and a good source. The vinyl option was eliminated after almost everyone showed me the wisdom of avoiding it as iam a late entrant to this format.

So digital was the way forward. And when I was almost sold on this dac , I came across several posts in American forums where people were debating over coaxial vs optical vs usb. Next the debate was over usb purifiers, spdif convertors and re clockers. And the last was about having bit perfect digital source without jitter. Which meant a expensive music server.

After considering so many variables involved. I've decided that a external dac is not for me. I would'nt want to fret incessantly that iam not getting the best out of it. And improvement is either just a cable or usb purifier away.

I'd rather go for a all-in-one streamer with a inbuilt dac and call it a day .
 

insider9

Well-known member
Sep 20, 2016
859
404
5,270
newlash09 said:
the op here. I must be thankful to All ears for getting me back to the subject again :)

Will I actually buy this dac?The only two components I will consider in the future to replace or add in my setup is a sub woofer and a good source. The vinyl option was eliminated after almost everyone showed me the wisdom of avoiding it as iam a late entrant to this format.

So digital was the way forward. And when I was almost sold on this dac , I came across several posts in American forums where people were debating over coaxial vs optical vs usb. Next the debate was over usb purifiers, spdif convertors and re clockers. And the last was about having bit perfect digital source without jitter. Which meant a expensive music server.

After considering so many variables involved. I've decided that a external dac is not for me. I would'nt want to fret incessantly that iam not getting the best out of it. And improvement is either just a cable or usb purifier away.

I'd rather go for a all-in-one streamer with a inbuilt dac and call it a day .
Whatever you do wait till you hear your setup. Enjoy it for a while and then think about upgrades.

Yamaha through an external streamer can sound even better so I wouldn't look to replace it without listening.
 

newlash09

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2015
219
45
10,820
Iam not going to add or change anything, till I've heard my system enough to figure out what improvements are needed, if any, that is.

Will not spend anymore money on hifi till next year atleast . The only thing I might add next is a sub woofer. That too only if I find the bass to be missing. Since the main reason behind going for the parasound hint was sub woofer integration :)
 

jonathanRD

Well-known member
Jan 27, 2011
177
50
18,670
newlash09 said:
Iam not going to add or change anything, till I've heard my system enough to figure out what improvements are needed, if any, that is.

Will not spend anymore money on hifi till next year atleast . The only thing I might add next is a sub woofer. That too only if I find the bass to be missing. Since the main reason behind going for the parasound hint was sub woofer integration :)
Hi newlash09 - 139 posts and no-one has mentioned the ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC in your amp. It might well be all you need, and to pick up on davedotco's point, you would hope that it provides the right level of performance to complement the amplification and speakers. I'm sure you'll let us know how it all sounds.
 

newlash09

Well-known member
Aug 28, 2015
219
45
10,820
Just 10 days to go :)

Iam actually feeling a little awkward that iam looking forward to go home for entirely different reasons. Reuniting with the family should have been the biggest reasons. Which weirdly now is in second position :)
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Having a quality source that is seperate is not something to fret over.
If your source allows you the option to add additional units like usb purifiers or spdif converters, power supplies it might allow you to improve the system for minimal costs per improvement.
If you have an all in one you have to change the whole box and that is always more expensive.
I still would get going with what you have and then look at it again when you get the itch and you inevitably will
 

jonathanRD

Well-known member
Jan 27, 2011
177
50
18,670
newlash09 said:
Just 10 days to go :)

Iam actually feeling a little awkward that iam looking forward to go home for entirely different reasons. Reuniting with the family should have been the biggest reasons. Which weirdly now is in second position :)
I think we all understand your exitement and that is only natural.

I am guessing you work in the maritime industry. I have previously worked in an administration role within that industry, and as a father myself, had quite a few discussions with ex mariners about how they missed alot of familiy life whilst away at sea. I'm sure you will make the most of your time at home with your family.*smile*
 

Leif

New member
May 11, 2014
26
1
0
ellisdj said:
usb purifiers
I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of companies who invent new products to extract money from Joe Public. I read a bit about that product. It removes RF noise from the USB data lines. Someone should tell them how the USB protocol works. Except I think they already know.
 

Pedro

New member
May 31, 2016
4
0
0
Leif said:
ellisdj said:
usb purifiers
I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of companies who invent new products to extract money from Joe Public. I read a bit about that product. It removes RF noise from the USB data lines. Someone should tell them how the USB protocol works. Except I think they already know.
Apparently some people buy into that voodoo. Maybe they think it sounds scientific, when actually is inane.

When you're a salesman or a pseudoexpert trying to look knowledgeable all you have to do is create doubt into people's minds. It's actually interesting that you can claim anything you want but you don't need to prove any of it. If anyone raises a concern they should prove a negative, which in logic is called a fallacy.

They purifier may improve sound, the esoteric cable hand made by vestals can yada yada yada. Or maybe you have to listen to those bloody things, yes because the ear is an excellent and reliable instrument.
 

Leif

New member
May 11, 2014
26
1
0
Pedro said:
Leif said:
ellisdj said:
usb purifiers
I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of companies who invent new products to extract money from Joe Public. I read a bit about that product. It removes RF noise from the USB data lines. Someone should tell them how the USB protocol works. Except I think they already know.
all you have to do is create doubt into people's minds.
Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD) are classic tools of marketing. And no doubt the current trend to not trust real experts - scientists for example - helps, it means the voodoo warriors can claim to be outsiders, bravely fighting for truth against the vested interests of the establishment. Utter balls of course.
 

ellisdj

New member
Dec 11, 2008
377
1
0
Leif said:
ellisdj said:
usb purifiers
I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of companies who invent new products to extract money from Joe Public. I read a bit about that product. It removes RF noise from the USB data lines. Someone should tell them how the USB protocol works. Except I think they already know.
Its more to do with the power and ground lines as opposed to the data lines
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts