Schiit yggdrassil dac

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Has anyone heard it here. It's getting rave reviews in the press. The absolute sound' and sterephile too were gushing over it. Supposed to be a gaint killer of sorts. Was curious if anyone has a first hand experience of it...thanks

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Wishful thinking to be comparing it with more expensive dacs. But it always happens doesn't it. New stuff comes along. Strange name. And it gets someone looking at it and being niche it's raved about, until it gets compared with competition,which they probably didn't do?. Like Chord dacs which are very good indeed.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Wishful thinking to be comparing it with more expensive dacs. But it always happens doesn't it. New stuff comes along. Strange name. And it gets someone looking at it and being niche it's raved about, until it gets compared with competition,which they probably didn't do?. Like Chord dacs which are very good indeed. 

What about 2 DACs with exactly the same build but one cost 3 times the cost?

What to do?
Decisions, decisions, decisions

insider9

Wishful thinking to be comparing it with more expensive dacs. But it always happens doesn't it. New stuff comes along. Strange name. And it gets someone looking at it and being niche it's raved about, until it gets compared with competition,which they probably didn't do?. Like Chord dacs which are very good indeed. 
Somehow I feel you'd be saying different if it was released by Cyrus.

I see competition as something positive and would not want to have all boxes made by the same company. However good they'd be. Variety is the spice of life.

insider9

Al ears said:
insider9 said:
Al ears said:
Many of their products get rave reviews. I would like to see a dealer or two in the UK as returning items under warranty might be an issue.
They have a EU store with 2 years warranty. Not sure there they ship from though.

Many thanks. May be cheaper than shipping back to the States then...   :)
Indeed!

Having investigated their store it looks like shipping is from UK to other parts of Europe.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

insider9 said:
Wishful thinking to be comparing it with more expensive dacs. But it always happens doesn't it. New stuff comes along. Strange name. And it gets someone looking at it and being niche it's raved about, until it gets compared with competition,which they probably didn't do?. Like Chord dacs which are very good indeed.

I see competition as something positive and would not want to have all boxes made by the same company. However good they'd be. Variety is the spice of life.

not necessarily, I've heard some pre dac boxes in my system at £2k. One was an eximus dac. It was nearly as good as the £3k Cyrus but I'd expect the dacs like the chord ones to be better than cyrus like £3k Hugo TT. They are a bit ahead of their times compared to Cyrus as the Cyrus dacs a bit of an old design.

Having boxes intergrate with one another and all be tuned the same way is a huge benefit in a hi fi I think, as lots of it just comes down to things like the power supplies in the units etc rather than all out performance, with law of dim returns.

but I've been around enough to realise what one manufactuer is claiming for say a £2k dac as competing with £15000 ones is rubbish. Most stuff at a similar price performs the same, if it's decent and you are comparing decent with decent. You've got to factor in the development costs in a niche market that makes these dacs so expensive, even though what's in them is often basic.

its human nature to think a £1k dac can compete with a £10000 one, as that's my point on wishful thinking.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:

not necessarily, I've heard some pre dac boxes in my system at £2k. One was an eximus dac. It was nearly as good as the £3k Cyrus but I'd expect the dacs like the chord ones to be better than cyrus like £3k Hugo TT. They are a bit ahead of their times compared to Cyrus as the Cyrus dacs a bit of an old design. 

Having boxes intergrate with one another and all be tuned the same way is a huge benefit in a hi fi I think, as lots of it just comes down to things like the power supplies in the units etc rather than all out performance, with law of dim returns.

but I've been around enough to realise what one manufactuer is claiming for say a £2k dac as competing with £15000 ones is rubbish. Most stuff at a similar price performs the same, if it's decent and you are comparing decent with decent. You've got to factor in the development costs in a niche market that makes these dacs so expensive, even though what's in them is often basic.

its human nature to think a £1k dac can compete with a £10000 one, as that's my point on wishful thinking.  

Please tell me which manufactures claimed this?

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Any supposition based on one or more assumptions is no more than a guess and therefore isn't worth a Barclays. In my opinion I hasten to add. Unless its be a and b'd there is no proof positive or negative.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I have had hands on with one or two of the more basic models and they are hard to fault for the price. Virtually every model has a good or great reputation and, for what it is worth, reviews are usually very positive.

Their business model is to sell through their own online shop, so no dealers as far as I know, so no dems. The company is headed up by a guy called Mark who was the service manager for Path Premier, so very well versed technically and in my experience, a pretty straight character.

grimharry

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
insider9 said:
Only questionable thing for me is the naming of their products. If I was younger I might have thought that owning Fulla Schiit headphone amp dac would be cool. Probably not anymore.

yeah all sounds a bit schiit to me*biggrin*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
grimharry said:
insider9 said:
Only questionable thing for me is the naming of their products. If I was younger I might have thought that owning Fulla Schiit headphone amp dac would be cool. Probably not anymore.

And WTF is yggdrassil ? is this some foreign language or have missed something really obvious?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
insider9 said:

Haha
We all wait for the very very long cost per unit explanation.

jonathanRD said:
grimharry said:
insider9 said:

And WTF is yggdrassil ? is this some foreign language or have missed something really obvious?

The World Tree. Google it, all their kit named after characters and items from Norse Mythology.

S

SemiChronic

PYST is my favourite. . . Put Your Schiit Together(cables)

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Al ears said:
jonathanRD said:
grimharry said:
insider9 said:

The World Tree. Google it, all their kit named after characters and items from Norse Mythology.

Well you learn something everyday *smile* Much preferred running, cycling and all things outdoors than educating myself *blush*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts