Sansui Stereo Amp Problem

daddles

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have an old (used to be my dads in the 70's) Sansui amp which has a lovely sound but the other day the left output developed mains hum. First it was intermittent but now it's permanent. I've swapped out speakers etc so it's def the L output of the amp and there's no buzz when there is no i/p connected. There has been a bit a crackle on the gain pot but assume that's just dust on the carbon tracks. When I touch the wires of the gain pot the buzz appears even with no i/p connected. Have checked for dry joints etc but nothing obvious. Can anyone help ? It would be a shame to lose this amp because it reaaly does have a sweet sound.

Thanks.

TrevC

daddles said:
Hi, I have an old (used to be my dads in the 70's) Sansui amp which has a lovely sound but the other day the left output developed mains hum. First it was intermittent but now it's permanent. I've swapped out speakers etc so it's def the L output of the amp and there's no buzz when there is no i/p connected. There has been a bit a crackle on the gain pot but assume that's just dust on the carbon tracks. When I touch the wires of the gain pot the buzz appears even with no i/p connected. Have checked for dry joints etc but nothing obvious. Can anyone help ? It would be a shame to lose this amp because it reaaly does have a sweet sound.

Thanks.

Try a different source. If it doesn't buzz with nothing connected to it it's unlikely to be faulty. Buy some servisol contact cleaner to squirt on the noisy pot.

daddles

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Thanks a lot Trev, turns out it was one of the leads to the turntable cartridge had come loose. Sod's law the other turntable I tried had the exact same problem ! Cleaned the pot too. All sounding sweet again now.

Thanks again !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts