Arcam SA20 Problem

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Since buying the SA20 in November 2020, I’ve experienced a problem where it will not output any sound from any source whatsoever. Putting it in and out of standby fixes it.

It’s only happened two or three times. No error messages are displayed and everything appears to be normal.

I don’t know if it’s related, but while the amp doesn’t buzz or hum, it does emit some kind of static/electrical sound that is audible when I put my ear close to it.

Should I be concerned?

rainsoothe

Since buying the SA20 in November 2020, I’ve experienced a problem where it will not output any sound from any source whatsoever. Putting it in and out of standby fixes it.

It’s only happened two or three times. No error messages are displayed and everything appears to be normal.

I don’t know if it’s related, but while the amp doesn’t buzz or hum, it does emit some kind of static/electrical sound that is audible when I put my ear close to it.

Should I be concerned?
Talk to your dealer, in normal use it shouldn't do that. If it's in warranty, they should replace it, or at least have it fixed.

Reactions: Al ears

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
Talk to your dealer, in normal use it shouldn't do that. If it's in warranty, they should replace it, or at least have it fixed.

Thanks for responding. I apologize for my very late reply. I’ve been quite busy recently.

I contacted the dealer a few weeks ago and they agreed it’s a problem. They said they haven’t experienced this specific problem with Arcam gear but have with another brand. In the other brand the issue was caused by either a bad solder joint, a bad cap or chip.

Unfortunately, due to supply problems, they were unable to send a replacement at that time.

The good news is that I will be receiving a brand new replacement today!

This might sound like an odd question, but because manufacturers are having many supply issues with components and whatnot, is it possible the replacement manufactured recently will use some different components?

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I received the replacement yesterday afternoon.

The box was really damaged. One side of the box was ripped open and the general condition of the box isn’t great. The blue plastic it was wrapped in was also badly damaged.

The amplifier doesn’t appear to be damaged in any way. It works and appears problem free so far.

Considering it was obviously mishandled, possibly dropped, crushed or thrown, do you think I should reject it or keep it as it seems to be OK?

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I did photograph the package. I also considered rejecting it but thought I’d take a look instead.

I contacted the dealer and they offered to replace it again. However, because it appears to be completely fine with no damage whatsoever, I decided to keep it as they offered a discount and it does have a 5 year warranty they will stand behind.

The new unit doesn’t make any of the noises I described in my original post.

After a few hours of listening to music I have noticed the new unit seems to have more energy. It just sounds more dynamic and the soundstage and stereo image are better.

Gray

I did photograph the package. I also considered rejecting it but thought I’d take a look instead.

I contacted the dealer and they offered to replace it again. However, because it appears to be completely fine with no damage whatsoever, I decided to keep it as they offered a discount and it does have a 5 year warranty they will stand behind.

The new unit doesn’t make any of the noises I described in my original post.

After a few hours of listening to music I have noticed the new unit seems to have more energy. It just sounds more dynamic and the soundstage and stereo image are better.
Just throw it at the wall next time......that's all it needed (y)

Adam W.

Aug 19, 2020
Visit site
I’ve had the replacement SA20 for about a week now and haven’t had a single problem with it. I’m very happy!

I have noticed something different, though.
On the older unit the large capacitors and part of the circuit board were visible through the top vents (where the heat sink is located).

The new unit must be a revised/updated design as a steel plate has been placed next to the heat sink completely blocking any view of internal components. It makes me wonder, purely out of curiosity, what else has changed (if anything) and why they made those changes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts