SAMSUNG V+ HD AUDIO DROPOUT

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have started new thread since similar thread re "Virgin V+ HD BOX Audio Interruption" last posting was 13th Sept 2010.

Sound drop-out for the first time in 4.5 years following change of V+ box viz:-

Feb 2007 Scientific-Atlanta (SA) V+ installed - no audio dro out problems ever.

Mid August 2011 Samsung V+ installed - Regular sound drop-out on various HD channels including SyFy HD, E4 HD and FX HD including recordings viz:

SONY Dolby Digital 5.1 amp turned on.

V+ connected via Dig' Optical cable to SONY STR DB930 Amp and V+ set to HDMI Audio Override = ON

I monitored sound Dropout (D.O.) whilst watching FX HD Falling Skies recordings over 2 hours. Sound D.O. occurs approx every 3 minutes but does not occur at the same time point when I rewind 3 seconds and then replay each incident. There was no D.O. during 5 min of Pro-Logic adverts but 1 D.O. during a Dolby 2.0 advert.

Also monitored SyFy HD, SKY 1HD & E4HD recordings on several occasions.....sound dropouts vary from every 1.5 min to 5 min.

Other Forums (VM & AV) have same reports which relate to the SAMSUNG V+ box (rather than the SA box). Virgin Media & Samsung have been aware of the problem for over 15 months at least but no one can identify the cause nor offer a solution so I have been advised to go back to a SA V+ Box. Telephoned VM who arranged home visit.......

.......2 VM engineers have arrived. I have recordings of FX HD 'Falling Skies' and SKY 1 HD' Inside Gatwick' both of which had regular dropout on first viewing. The engineers covering my area (Manchester) not dealt with this particular fault before. They listened to my recordings and guess what, only a quarter of dropouts on their viewing compared to my first viewing. Gave them a log of my dropout monitoring records together with screen print of the VM Forum's TICKET FAULT No 1435085 (Post 89/page9) of their Thread. They are reporting back to HQ but in the meantime they have agreed to replace my SAMSUNG box with a Scientific-Atlanta Box at my request. However it does'nt solve the problem for anyone else and after 15 months since the VM thread has been active, it doesn't look like VM is ever going to sort this mess out.

As What HiFi tests equipment can Andy Clough please shed some light on this problem?

A

Anonymous

Jamct69 said:
I have started new thread since similar thread re "Virgin V+ HD BOX Audio Interruption" last posting was 13th Sept 2010.

Sound drop-out for the first time in 4.5 years following change of V+ box viz:-

Feb 2007 Scientific-Atlanta (SA) V+ installed - no audio dro out problems ever.

Mid August 2011 Samsung V+ installed - Regular sound drop-out on various HD channels including SyFy HD, E4 HD and FX HD including recordings viz:

SONY Dolby Digital 5.1 amp turned on.

V+ connected via Dig' Optical cable to SONY STR DB930 Amp and V+ set to HDMI Audio Override = ON

I monitored sound Dropout (D.O.) whilst watching FX HD Falling Skies recordings over 2 hours. Sound D.O. occurs approx every 3 minutes but does not occur at the same time point when I rewind 3 seconds and then replay each incident. There was no D.O. during 5 min of Pro-Logic adverts but 1 D.O. during a Dolby 2.0 advert.

Also monitored SyFy HD, SKY 1HD & E4HD recordings on several occasions.....sound dropouts vary from every 1.5 min to 5 min.

Other Forums (VM & AV) have same reports which relate to the SAMSUNG V+ box (rather than the SA box). Virgin Media & Samsung have been aware of the problem for over 15 months at least but no one can identify the cause nor offer a solution so I have been advised to go back to a SA V+ Box. Telephoned VM who arranged home visit.......

.......2 VM engineers have arrived. I have recordings of FX HD 'Falling Skies' and SKY 1 HD' Inside Gatwick' both of which had regular dropout on first viewing. The engineers covering my area (Manchester) not dealt with this particular fault before. They listened to my recordings and guess what, only a quarter of dropouts on their viewing compared to my first viewing. Gave them a log of my dropout monitoring records together with screen print of the VM Forum's TICKET FAULT No 1435085 (Post 89/page9) of their Thread. They are reporting back to HQ but in the meantime they have agreed to replace my SAMSUNG box with a Scientific-Atlanta Box at my request. However it does'nt solve the problem for anyone else and after 15 months since the VM thread has been active, it doesn't look like VM is ever going to sort this mess out.

As What HiFi tests equipment can Andy Clough please shed some light on this problem?

Will a What Hifi AV expert comment on this thread please?.:help:

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello Mate

I get loads of sound drop outs from my Samsung V+ Box to Pioneer LX-83.

Lately its been skipping (hard to descibe, sounds like its struggling to catch up) a bit as well.

IS THERE NO FIX THEN????

A

Anonymous

:help: Not yet if ever. The Virgin Media Forum thread started 16 months ago is still very active withe their own 'experts' still fudging the issue. What is annoying is the fact that more HD channels are being added this month so more sound dropouts for those of us who enjoy the combined Dolby Digital/ Large LCD or PLASMA, experience via our Home Cinema Amps. What is the point of SAMSUNG,s V+ box with it's OPTICAL DIGITAL-OUT socket if it can't be utilised efficiently.
Also, I have just returned from 2 weeks abroad, watched SKY1's TERRA NOVA and as expected had audio dropout. After catching up with holiday recordings and clearing my hard drive, I will chase up VM for the replacement SA box they have promised to find!...I'll be lucky??
I am also very disappointed that a WHAT HiFi technical geek has not responded to this thread! :help:

A

Anonymous

I visited the What HiFi Manchester Home Entertainment Exhibition on Saturday 22/10 and met Andy Clough on the What Hifi stand. I showed him a printout of all the postings of this thread and he was sorry he had not seen it before due to the vast number of threads crossing his desk daily.

However he was unable to shed any light on the problem save to say that audio can be influenced by a large number of factors and if Virgin media and Samsung cannot [or will not!] come up with a cause/solution then it is unlikely anyone else will. As well as possible hardware design faults it could be caused by variations of the 'quality' of the different TV bitstream rates, channel signal compression and other audio technicalities. Andy also suggested that overheatingof the box in an encosed location could be a cause!...not applicable in my case.l

We will probably never know the cause of the problem. :mad:

A

Anonymous

VM Engineer called yesterday and installed replacement SAMSUNG V+ since no SA box available (as anticipated). I will monitor sound dropout over the next 7 to 10 days and report back here.

A

Anonymous

PS....Has anyone had a replacement SAMSUNG V+ Box which has been OK with no sound dropout???

A

Anonymous

Replacement SAMSUNG V+ operating fon a week.....no change, sound dropout as before |( . Time now for some compo!. Watch this space!.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts