Virgin samsung v+hd box on e-bay

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Evening all.

I have just taken advantage of a virgin offer to unlock the hd service on my v box (currently on the L tv package). usually £49.95.

This gives me 6 hd channels but no recording facility.

I have seen a number of samsung v+ hd boxes on e-bay and was wondering what would happen if I bought one and swapped it with my box.

Would this allow me to use all of the features of the v+ whilst avoiding virgins usual £5 pm surcharge?

Someone on this forum must have tried this if it's possible.

Thanks in advance.

Cliff.

robjcooper

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
Cliff,

I was under the impression that the V+ and V boxes were leased from Virgin Media, and therefore always remained their property and should be returned/collected when a contract was terminated. If so, then they should not be available to purchase anywhere. As with a great many things on Fleabay, I would approach this idea with a great deal of caution (I had a look on fleabay and was greatly amused by the guy who had bought one to remove the hard drive to use in his computer and as it was only 160gb (he already had a 1Tb drive fitted) he was selling it on - The Brothers Grimm couldn't have written a better fairy tale!)

Rob

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Hi Rob,

Yes you are quite correct, Virgin do retain ownership of all boxes, so when my new v box arrived the old one had to go back. Virgin kindly provide a pre-posted box and a letter informing me that £150 would be added to my next bill if it wasn't returned within 21 days.

However, the majority of boxes for sale on e-bay, and there are a great many, are from accounts that have been cancelled when the holders swapped to sky, leaving virgin with no way to collect any monies.

I'm also assuming that it isn't worth their while chasing after people for the relatively small cost of a v+ box.

Got to be worth a shot for 20 quid or so, just wondered if anyone had already tried?

Cliff.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't bother Cliff. The 'brain' of the box is the card which slots in. The card is paired with the box, so even though you have a valid card in your own STB, it isn't going to work in any other. :(

Rich

cliffster

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Right, just had a word with some Virgin media bods over on a very good cable forum (Which I won't link to but is very easy to find).

Seems that all cards have to be 'paired' with a particular box and Virgin will only pair cards with boxes that they have supplied to you.

So the very cheap samsung box looks nice and lights up but will not work (probably why all the sellers on e-bay don't accept returns!)

This seems to be because unlike sky you don't own the equipment you only lease it.

Shame, what's that old saying, 'If it looks too good to be true.....'

Cliff

edit 8009524 and Rob, you were both spot on, thanks for the input!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts