How to link Audio output from Virgin Media HD Box to amplifier

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Good Morning all,

at the moment I have set up a couple of basic speakers via a spare Teak Reference 300(AH300) amplifier and linked this is to an old Standard Definition Virgin media box.

I have been able to do this via the phono&aux input/output sockets on both.

I will get a Virgin Media High Definition box next weekend, but notice that this does not have a phono output,

are there any adaptors, so that I can link the HD box into my old amplifier as this only has phono/aux input (eg no scart/hdmi etc..)

The TV in question is a Samsung UE37EH5000 btw..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Connect your V HD box to your TV with HDMI and then run an optical digital (Toslink) cable from your TV to a DAC. (A DAC with optical digital input like the Cambridge Audio DacMagic for instance.) The DAC then connects to your amp with RCA phono cables.

Or why not just run a phono RCA cable from the TV to your amp instead?

If your TV doesn't have an optical digital output then the V HD box does. You can connect it to a DAC instead.

There may be some SCART adaptor that has a stereo pair of RCA phono outputs to go from the SCART on the V HD Box to your amp. I don't know this side of things. (Haven't use SCART leads for years.)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes. You need a SCART output adapter- available online or from Maplin for about £5.

NOTE: There are two types- make sure you get the one marked "OUTPUT"! (It was an embarrassing trip back to the shop to swap mine...!).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
In the long term you will want a decent quality sound to accompany your TV/Blu-ray/V HD Box viewing - even if only in stereo - so you might want to plan for TV + amp or hi-fi or AV system that has all the necessary digital interconnectivity.

Luckily my TV has one optical digital out and my stereo has one optical digital in, so I can enjoy high quality stereo from TV and Blu-ray and my Humax.

A SCART - RCA adaptor is only going to be as good as the analogue audio output stage built into the V box. Whereas - ideally - you should try and keep everything digital (HDMI or HDMI and optical) until the signal gets to a decent quality DAC. (Seperate or built in to your system.)

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you guys for your input,

EDIT@ 14:08 ~ how about this for a solution : Use a scart adaptor(Richer Sounds do a switchable adaptor) on the VM HD box to run my phono leads to the amp, and an HDMI lead from the box to the TV.

Would this work?

Kiv that I set the telly to'external speakers'to bypass the inbuilt speakers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts