Samsung CES 2013 event live now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Perhaps I got a little carried away with the multiview. I do think it could be good for kids though to prevent sibling arguements about what to watch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mock your enthusiasm. Take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I'm sure some will find that functionality exciting. And it has genuine value when it comes to multiplayer gaming.

My view is that manufacturers should spend less time developing new features and get the basics right: genuinely accurate colour reproduction, without the need for professional calibration; flawless motion; contrast levels that rival CRT televisions; and perfect screen uniformity.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Andrew Everard said:
Tonestar1 said:
With Samsung's budget you would think the could have poached someone from Loewe or B&O.

Instead, they went for someone from B&Q.

:rofl:

(just woke my very angry wife up with my laughing :shhh: )

I'm guessing laughter isn't the response Samsung executives are hoping for.

I agree that the design is a cabling nightmare waiting to happen.

strapped for cash said:
My view is that manufacturers should spend less time developing new features and get the basics right: genuinely accurate colour reproduction, without the need for professional calibration; flawless motion; contrast levels that rival CRT televisions; and perfect screen uniformity.

Unfortunately, improvement in picture quality doesn't encourage most people to buy new TVs (except people like us who frequent TV forums). New features grab headlines, which drive sales.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
I think this talk feature is the beginning of things to come. Maybe in 5 years' time, we'll be talking to our devices to make a cup of tea / watch a film / put the heater on etc. and remotes may become obsolete. Our future generation may laugh at us for using "those plastic things with buttons" to make devices work.

Mark my words, we're edging ever closer to a robot slave revolt.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

Unfortunately, improvement in picture quality doesn't encourage most people to buy new TVs (except people like us who frequent TV forums). New features grab headlines, which drive sales.

Shame, isn't it.

strapped for cash said:
bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

Shame, isn't it.

What they do, is latch on to another technology for picture improvements (like OLED, which is more headline grabbing) rather than perfect existing technologies.

Panasonic has improved its picture quality year on year while Samsung advertised its unique features that no one would use. The result? Panasonic is on the brink of exiting TV business while Samsung continues to post record sales.

Tonestar1

strapped for cash said:
Tonestar1 said:
Perhaps I got a little carried away with the multiview. I do think it could be good for kids though to prevent sibling arguements about what to watch.

Sorry, I didn't mean to mock your enthusiasm. Take my comments with a pinch of salt.

I'm sure some will find that functionality exciting. And it has genuine value when it comes to multiplayer gaming.

No offense taken whatsoever. A bit of lighthearted mockery is good for the soul :)

Unfortunately the last company who truly tried to make the best TV available went the way of the dodo. The majority of folk just don't care. Why would anyone ever want a TV with a fantastic picture when that can have one that posts every detail of your viewing to facebook every ten seconds?

Status update

Tony is watching the news

Tony has changed the channel

Tony is watching the adult channel

"Damn it! How do I turn that poxy twittbook feed thing off?

"Ask the remote control."

Andrew Everard said:
strapped for cash said:
Mark my words, we're edging ever closer to a robot slave revolt.

Apparently no truth in the rumour that next year's CES-opening keynote is being given by Skynet.

skynet_wide.jpg

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
The last two posts say it all really.

The sad truth is that I'd be willing to pay twice the price of my GT50 for the kind of performance I described above, but I'm certainly in a small minority in this regard.

EDIT: not the Skynet posts.
smiley-smile.gif
They were uploaded before I clicked save.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Tonestar1 said:
Tony is watching the news

Tony has changed the channel

Tony is watching the adult channel

"Damn it! How do I turn that poxy twittbook feed thing off?

Another aspect of modern existence that's anathema to me (he says posting on a hi-fi forum). At least my inanities are narrowly focused.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
The sad truth is that I'd be willing to pay twice the price of my GT50 for the kind of performance I described above, but I'm certainly in a small minority in this regard.

Not to mention the opportunity to put on the screen a picture of your three boys in Mexico – which you pronounce 'Meh-hico' just in case anyone thought you were a tourist – , take a lightpen, scribble a message all over the picture, then send it to all your friends.
smiley-wink.gif

Tonestar1

Andrew Everard said:
strapped for cash said:

Not to mention the opportunity to put on the screen a picture of your three boys in Mexico – which you pronounce 'Meh-hico' just in case anyone thought you were a tourist – , take a lightpen, scribble a message all over the picture, then send it to all your friends.
smiley-wink.gif

Obviously you need to use the picture of them fulfilling their lifetime ambition of swimming with a captive dolphin in a grotty swimming pool. The world just needs to see that one. Hang on a minute... "Remote control, make the dolphin picture my cover photo"

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
strapped for cash said:

smiley-wink.gif

I know a few people that would love to do that (one of them, I think, has even been to Meh-hico).

It's extraordinary how technology is designed to offer solutions for modern cosmopolitan living. How we ever got along before, I'll never know.

I'll get my virtual coat and head on over to the Luddite forum (such a thing exists, though I question members' commitment).

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
Andrew Everard said:
Tonestar1 said:
With Samsung's budget you would think the could have poached someone from Loewe or B&O.

Instead, they went for someone from B&Q.

:rofl:

(just woke my very angry wife up with my laughing :shhh: )

Yes, that was one of Mr Everard's best!

bigboss said:
strapped for cash said:

Sad but true, people on TV and home cinema forums are very much in the minority.

bigboss said:
What they do, is latch on to another technology for picture improvements (like OLED, which is more headline grabbing) rather than perfect existing technologies.

Still sad and still true.

bigboss said:
Panasonic has improved its picture quality year on year while Samsung advertised its unique features that no one would use. The result? Panasonic is on the brink of exiting TV business while Samsung continues to post record sales.

Well, let’s hope that Panasonic’s 2013 range of plasmas is well received and staves off its TV withdrawal for another year. But if only Samsung would put the same effort into improving the black level of its flagship plasmas (and I have the one from 2011) as it does into inventing unusual (is that spelled “useless”, for example all the niche apps in its Smart hub) features ….! Advertising a world-class black level was a Unique Selling Point for Pioneer and its Kuro televisions! Oops sorry, bad example, they stopped making TVs altogether…..

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
Those two tv's talked about were real big sets, an 85" and the other was 110" and both hi-def tv's. Rather than having such sizes sitting on a tv unit I'm guessing Samsung were more thinking it a better idea to have them on their own swivel-axis frame ? Then sitting in a darkened room (like a large living-room or cinema room) whereby the large sets would look as though they were sitting there suspended in the air ..... I thought the idea to be rather forward thinking. :clap:

TRENDING THREADS