RX2s Vs GS10s

A

Anonymous

RX1 has a 6" driver, RX2 has a 8" driver, therefore RX2 has more bass and more midrange. I bought my RX2's purely on the fact they are bigger than the RX1's and i bought them blind as i couldnt audition. I would say the RX2 is the better speaker. Others may say differently though.

A

Anonymous

I demo'd the M/A RX2's side by side with the GS10's and much preferred the RX2's as their bass and midrange were much tauter and the treble was more smooth and detailed.

The GS10's are very good but for me they lacked the overall clarity & punchiness that you get with the RX2's

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
I've heard on this forum that the RX1s are a better speaker than the GS10. So the question is are the RX2s superior to the 1s? And are there any real problems with placement?

i'm surprised you ask that pp, i thought it was common knowledge that the rx range needs a little space, there's been many threads started on here by people that were experiencing boominess from the rx1s and particularly the rx2s, when they were close to walls. i personally found my rx6s worked best at least 300mm from the wall..

maxflinn said:
plastic penguin said:
I've heard on this forum that the RX1s are a better speaker than the GS10. So the question is are the RX2s superior to the 1s? And are there any real problems with placement?

i'm surprised you ask that pp, i thought it was common knowledge that the rx range needs a little space, there's been many threads started on here by people that were experiencing boominess from the rx1s and particularly the rx2s, when they were close to walls. i personally found my rx6s worked best at least 300mm from the wall..

Is this the common knowledge that state the RS6s are bright? Or the Leema Pulse is lean? or the Arcam CDPs are warm and woolly?

A

Anonymous

Monitor Audio speakers have always been slightly balanced towards the bright. The Totem Arros, which you mentioned in earlier threads, are much better balanced speakers.

Grottyash said:
Monitor Audio speakers have always been slightly balanced towards the bright. The Totem Arros, which you mentioned in earlier threads, are much better balanced speakers.

If you bean bags for furniture and wooden floors and glass paines the size of Hampshire and you connect it to an all Cyrus set-up, yup they might sound a bit brittle. Otherwise, my experience has always been contrary to most others (and my opinion chimes with Gerrardasnails too).

As regards the Totem reference: Given the Arro are twice the RRP of the RS6s I would be EXTREMELY disappointed if they didn't sound more balanced than the RS6s.

A

Anonymous

hifilover1979 said:
I demo'd the M/A RX2's side by side with the GS10's and much preferred the RX2's as their bass and midrange were much tauter and the treble was more smooth and detailed. The GS10's are very good but for me they lacked the overall clarity & punchiness that you get with the RX2's

the RX2's mustbe pretty amazing then and mon audio must have seriously upgraded the crossovers and components used in the silver range as I demo'd my old RS1's against the GS10's and the gs10's, apart from the obvious extra bass, were better in every respect. The way they launch music into a room and paint a 3d picture was in a different league to the rs1's. The rs1's sounded slightly veiled in comparison and didnt sound as natural either.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
maxflinn said:
plastic penguin said:

Is this the common knowledge that state the RS6s are bright? Or the Leema Pulse is lean? or the Arcam CDPs are warm and woolly?
couldn't tell you pp, i've never heard either, and of course combining any of the above with different componants will alter their sound, as will differing room acoustics.

i've read many times on here of boominess in the rx range if placed too close to a wall, especially with the rx2s, i'm not saying it's gospel but it's what many say and also what i found from my own experience with the rx6s, i presumed that you read the same threads, perhaps not, anyway i guess you could demo if you want to be 100% sure for yourself.

A

Anonymous

I currently use GS10's in my second room set up and demoed the RX2's before i sold my Sonos and was going to add these in a 3rd room. Personally i thought just connected to a ZP120 the GS10's were only marginally better but when i connected them to my main amp i thought they were clearer winners just my opinion though!

maxflinn said:
plastic penguin said:
maxflinn said:
plastic penguin said:

couldn't tell you pp, i've never heard either, and of course combining any of the above with different componants will alter their sound, as will differing room acoustics.

i've read many times on here of boominess in the rx range if placed too close to a wall, especially with the rx2s, i'm not saying it's gospel but it's what many say and also what i found from my own experience with the rx6s, i presumed that you read the same threads, perhaps not, anyway i guess you could demo if you want to be 100% sure for yourself.

I must read the same threads as you. All the bad press the RX and RSs get is totally unfounded. Mine are place about 10" from the wall without any bottom end nasties. The bass is as tight and fast as you could ask. I've always been consistent with my appraisal of MAs and the more speakers I hear reinforces the view that the RS6s, for the money, are fantastic below the grand mark anyway.

A

Anonymous

it's hardly bad press if people say they don't work at their best close to a wall, and i think there's far more good things said about ma on here than bad. i loved my rx6s but they were fatiguing, in my room at least. i personally think the dm 2/7s are a better all round speaker. just my views.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The bad press is general, not positioning. Arcam and MA older Silver range (RSs) tend to get slaughtered on here.

One thing for sure the RX2 are big!! With stands, you have a decent size floorstander space wise.

PP, try and get a demo of the Vienna Haydn bookshelf.

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Its near on impossible to predict how a given speaker will perform in a multitude of different sized rooms when it comes to bass frequencies.

The room itself can add anything up to 10 to 20 db of output to your speakers at bass freqencies depending on your room dimensions.

This is called exciting room modes.

I had a pair of Dynaudio audience 52 standmounts that boomed badly in my 4m by 4m ish room even when quite clear of walls due to the room gain and ports tuned closely together.

I used the radioshack spl level meter to confirm my suspision and indeed level measured +12 to +15db around 40 to 50hz.

Perversely my monitor audio RX6's, which are much larger and with an extra bass driver only measure around +6 to +8db at the same frequencies.

Blocking all the ports on the MA's reduced the output further between 40-50hz to around +1 to +3db while increasing output at 30hz
smiley-laughing.gif

You just have to try speakers in your own room to see how they perform in the bass.

A

Anonymous

My RX2's seemed very bass heavy at first and seemed too much at times. After being run in for 2 weeks now, the bass is much tigher and more controlled and i can put them right against the wall and the bass is not overpowering.

I agree though that alot of the sound has to do with room acoustics

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I know the RX series is a more recent design and may well possess a few things up their sleeves to help them along, but I've never felt the RX2 was a better speaker than the GS10. They may give them a run for their money in the bass quantity stakes, and probably handle just as much power, but as far as articulation goes, the GS10's would be my choice every time. The build quality on the RX is excellent, but it's even better on the GS, which helps cut down on cabinet resonances, allowing the drivers to do they're supposed to be doing.

For the benefit of those who know who they are, yes, the GS10's are more a expensive speaker than the RX2's, but at the moment, the GS10's can be had cheaper. So there's your theory put the window :p

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts