RP1 A19 684s2

AlDen

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I have the rp1 performance pack along with Arcam A19 and B&W speakers but don't get the bass that I want, what should I do to get it?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AlDen said:
RP1 A19 684s2

I have the rp1 performance pack along with Arcam A19 and B&W speakers but don't get the bass that I want, what should I do to get it?

More efficient speakers (the 684 S2s are only 87dB) that don't LM3886 amp that is employed in my Quad Vena but I match mine with 90dB speakers with a minimum impedance of 5 Ohms and no ambition to play them very loud from across the width of a medium sized living room and no requirement for big bass.

It also seems (from the B&W specs linked above) that the lower bass on your speakers is -3dB at 72Hz and -6dB at 45Hz so I can't see you ever getting really low bass without a sub or different speakers.

What made you choose this combination?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AlDen said:

What do you think is wrong with the bass? Clarity? Punch? Depth? Or something else?

What are you actually looking to get that you are not getting now?

How is the system set up with regards to positioning, turntable support, speaker positioning?

davedotco said:
AlDen said:

What do you think is wrong with the bass? Clarity? Punch? Depth? Or something else?

How is the system set up with regards to positioning, turntable support, speaker positioning?

Change the cartridge and, as suggested, get a more powerful amp.

AlDen

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Lack of punch sums it up, the turntable sits on a rega wall bracket so shouldn't be an issue. Speakers positioned as per the manual, 0.5m from the back wall.

manicm

Al ears said:
davedotco said:
AlDen said:

Actually no, apart from AE, every review of the 684s2 I've read - whf included - has stated bass isn't its strong suit.

Chebby, the 3.5 ohms probably has nothing to do with it either - the 685s2 is the same.

manicm said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
AlDen said:

Actually no, apart from AE, every review of the 684s2 I've read - whf included - has stated bass isn't its strong suit.

Chebby, the 3.5 ohms probably has nothing to do with it either - the 685s2 is the same.

Perhaps you are right. My 685s had a distinct lack on lower end clout. Perhaps I should have said change cartridge and speakers.

AlDen

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
One of the reasons I bought the 684's was the slim line profile. I heard some focal 906's at the time but they where even more out of my budget range at the time, £1,100 with stands as opposed to £800 I spent against my £500 budget. Also too wide for where they were going to be positioned. In the new position not an issue and now wishing I went for them. Given the amp and speakers which should I change to get more bass and an all round improvement.

My digital source is an Arcam IRDAc with music streamed to it via Spotify on iPad and Apple TV. Over the next couple of years I'm willing to spend £3,000 for a vinyl and streamed sourced system, what would you keep and what would you spend it on?

rainsoothe

manicm said:
Al ears said:
davedotco said:
AlDen said:

yup, pretty much this.

OP: I would spend that moneys on my own system (check signature) and save up for VPI Nomad (or Scout Jr. + phonostage), or even VPI Traveler if you can still find one of those (some shops still have them), or an Origin Live modified Technics deck. Rega or Graham Slee phono stage. How big is your room, though? Maybe you need floorstanders.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
AlDen said:
Lack of punch sums it up, the turntable sits on a rega wall bracket so shouldn't be an issue. Speakers positioned as per the manual, 0.5m from the back wall.

Everyone on here has their favourites (and their pet hates) so I find making specific comments on components difficult.

Vinyl systems in particular are very sensitive to system matching and system changes, before spending any money I would experiment with speaker positioning, even to the point of putting them in positions that are not practical, just to find out what happens.

Othewise, given you issues, I would look at a better player, though really you need to audition. Maybe a Rega dealer could demonstrate the differences between your current player and a Rega 6 or similar?

manicm

David@FrankHarvey said:
davedotco said:
Maybe a Rega dealer could demonstrate the differences between your current player and a Rega 6 or similar?
That would be a major upgrade. Should take all of a few seconds to appreciate.

Might still not solve the op's problem of the 684s sonic character though. From what I've read they're not bass neutral.

Having said that, to the OP, remove the plinth from the 684 and use the spikes/feet directly to the floor. A few reviews state this improves the bass considerably.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Might still not solve the op's problem of the 684s sonic character though. From what I've read they're not bass neutral.
Not saying it will, just that it would be a big step up from the RP1 :)

Having said that, to the OP, remove the plinth from the 684 and use the spikes/feet directly to the floor. A few reviews state this improves the bass considerably.
With regards to quantity or quality? Maybe it loosens the bass a little, making it seem more prominent? The base does make the speaker much more stable.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the OP is suffering from the opposite end of the 'loudness war'.

Without looking to upgrade your tt to one with a higher output or stylus with a higher sensitivity not sure what you can do.

Looking into used - higher class of deck - May yield the most from a limited budget.

How does the other kit compare - the CD and streamer?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts