Rotel RA-931 MK II Stereo Integrated Amplifier low on bass

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I bought this recently RA-931 to replace my marantz 66 se what I totally loved. But the RA-931 just sounds awful compared to the Marantz 66 se as is seems to have to little bass on it, I hate this amp and I am woundering if I added PSW-1000.2 Active Powered KEF Home Cinema System Subwoofer. if this would resolve the lack of bass on it. *wacko*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Gregsta said:
I bought this recently RA-931 to replace my marantz 66 se what I totally loved. But the RA-931 just sounds awful compared to the Marantz 66 se as is seems to have to little bass on it, I hate this amp and I am woundering if I added PSW-1000.2 Active Powered KEF Home Cinema System Subwoofer. if this would resolve the lack of bass on it. *wacko* 

Don't spend money on it. Get another Marantz. You clearly liked it.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I have had 2 marantz amps and both have had the same problem were they keep on cutting in and out. What I mean by that they submit sound then they stop submitting sound. the first one I had I bought from new and within about 8 months of having it, it started to do this then the SE 66 started to do this. so thinking of staying clear of maratnz and getting a NAD C350 INTEGRATED Amp

insider9

Gregsta said:
I have had 2 marantz amps and both have had the same problem were they keep on cutting in and out.  What I mean by that they submit sound then they stop submitting sound. the first one I had I bought from new and within about 8 months of having it, it started to do this then the SE 66 started to do this. so thinking of staying clear of maratnz and getting a NAD C350 INTEGRATED Amp
I know exactly what you mean I had PM66SE and it did this occasionally.

The Rotel you have is not know for big bass especially if you listen at lower volume.

I've also had C350 but it's bass although plentiful wasn't too my liking. It was rather wooly sounding and not well defined. I would say C320BEE was overall better sounding if you're going to go with NAD.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Gregsta said:
I have had 2 marantz amps and both have had the same problem were they keep on cutting in and out. What I mean by that they submit sound then they stop submitting sound. the first one I had I bought from new and within about 8 months of having it, it started to do this then the SE 66 started to do this. so thinking of staying clear of maratnz and getting a NAD C350 INTEGRATED Amp
I know exactly what you mean I had PM66SE and it did this occasionally.

The Rotel you have is not know for big bass especially if you listen at lower volume.

I've also had C350 but it's bass although plentiful wasn't too my liking. It was rather wooly sounding and not well defined. I would say C320BEE was overall better sounding if you're going to go with NAD.

I did read somewere that these were good on bass Denon PMA-355 UK Stereo Integrated Amplifier and it was £250 when new so close to the 66 se price range, their is one on ebay that looks in nice condition. I think the denon has won some awards in the past so should be nice. I am not ruling out the othe NAd you suggested.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
I have already tried tone control and it' just nasty on this amp, I am really disappointed with this amp, I have had good few amps over my life and this is definitely the worse one I have ever owned. I am very happy with my mercury floor standers, I have owned better but these are great for budget speakers so no grumbles there.

S

SemiChronic

Im using some Tannoys with Cambridge Audio, sounds good to me.

If your looking for something cheap, you could try a discontinued 651A nice sound(the bass is definately there) dac and usb input.

Might be worth a look

Rotel during the late 90s and early naughties were churining out amps like a bottle factory. Some were very good while others were disappointing. Based on th OP's assessment, it does sound like a synergy issue: Some Rotels could veer into very analytical.

Likewise Tannoy speakers need IMHO a smoother amp to hear them at their best. This is why Marantz work well with Tannoy.

I would look at something like Arcam DIVA range or change the speakers to B&W (Rotel and B&W share the same factory on the S. coast of England)

Firstly, make sure the speakers aren’t out of phase.

Secondly, Marantz amps tend to be warm and bassy, whereas the Rotel is far more neutral and revealing. This can be a bit of a culture shock for many people. Stick with the Rotel for a few weeks - then go back to the Marantz - if you still prefer the Marantz, you now know what sort of sound you like.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

As intimated I’d change speakers. I had those m3’s which I bought in 97. Cherry fronts.

Compared to later tannoys I owned they sound like they have a big thick duvet placed in front of them. Just little detail. Bass rumbling speakers.

They are over 20 years old now. Time for something new I’d say.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
As intimated I’d change speakers. I had those m3’s which I bought in 97. Cherry fronts.

Compared to later tannoys I owned they sound like they have a big thick duvet placed in front of them. Just little detail. Bass rumbling speakers.

Thanks for your advice and I will consider everything your said.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
davidf said:
Firstly, make sure the speakers aren’t out of phase.

Secondly, Marantz amps tend to be warm and bassy, whereas the Rotel is far more neutral and revealing. This can be a bit of a culture shock for many people. Stick with the Rotel for a few weeks - then go back to the Marantz - if you still prefer the Marantz, you now know what sort of sound you like.

I have owned a rotel back in 2000 a power amplifier, what I bought from new but that cost me £500 and I loved that. I did not realise how cheap the rotel ra-931 was when new, I should of done more reserch before I purchased it, I have sold the rotel now and now I am looking about for a new amp, but I am not going to rush this time.

Thank you for your advice

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
There are those that say that the Amp in a system is the least important component. For me, and IME, the right Amp is crucial. It’s literally the powerhouse and has a huge effect on everything else.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
There are those that say that the Amp in a system is the least important component. For me, and IME, the right Amp is crucial. It’s literally the powerhouse and has a huge effect on everything else. 

Agree

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
From an engineers perspective transducers are the weak points where improvements yield most results - audible and measurable. To the audiophile playing captain Kirk exploring the universe in his living room, the amp may feel as most important. It's the command console where you turn the knob towards WARP 5.

From psychology perspective it's partialism, the big volume knobs being extremely preferable to small ones or fader sliders simply because they are assciated with female breasts. It's also the immediate point of gratification where action yields happiness (turning louder). So essentially this topic is a discussion which is your hifi fetish, the amp, the speakers etc.

I'm a legs man.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Marantz PM6004 once again I have chosen Marantz got this for a great price, from a music shop trading on Ebay. I have owned one of these in the past so know its performs the way I want it to. I totally forgot I owned it, I was browsing some old photo's and could see the number on the amp. *yahoo* I have read tons and tons of reviews about amps and keep looking at the marantzs but really wanted to stay away from the early ones just because of age. so went for something a bit newer this time.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

I agree with this statement, that and the speakers the rest am not 100% sure if it makes that much difference. But in the past they are the bits I have spent the most money on. I have owned some really nice HI Fi in the past and over time that is the conclusion I have came to. *music2* This marantz amp won't be the best amp I have ever owned probably the 3rd best. Like I said I have owned some stunning gear in the past.

Garett

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Thumbing through an old copy of WHF, the Rotel 931 MkII was an awards winner back in 1999 and praised for its punchy sound, however it was only £189 so is never going to be a world beater.

As someone else has mentioned Rotel and Marantz traditionally always had quite different sonic signatures, Rotel being IMO dynamic, rythmic and good at driving the music along. They can be verging on bright with the wrong speakers. Whereas Marantz were warmer, smoother with a more relaxed sound, possibly sounding less detailed than Rotel.

I have a Rotel RA-02 that I picked up for a very reasonable price second hand and its a cracking amp for the money. At one point I was interested in upgrading and bought a second hand Marantz PM6005 and it really was a sideways step. They both seemed to fall into the old stereotypes (pardon the pun!
teeth_smile.png
) and after several listening sessions I decided I still prefered the Rotel over the much newer Marantz, although there wasn't a great deal to pick from between them. I just felt the Rotel conveyed the zip and drive of the music better and the Marantz seemed a bit subdued.

If you are after a second hand bargain the Rotel RA-01/02 are very decent, as is the newer Marantz 600x range and are both well worth seeking out.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
Garett said:
Thumbing through an old copy of WHF, the Rotel 931 MkII was an awards winner back in 1999 and praised for its punchy sound, however it was only £189 so is never going to be a world beater.

As someone else has mentioned Rotel and Marantz traditionally always had quite different sonic signatures, Rotel being IMO dynamic, rythmic and good at driving the music along. They can be verging on bright with the wrong speakers. Whereas Marantz were warmer, smoother with a more relaxed sound, possibly sounding less detailed than Rotel.

I have a Rotel RA-02 that I picked up for a very reasonable price second hand and its a cracking amp for the money. At one point I was interested in upgrading and bought a second hand Marantz PM6005 and it really was a sideways step. They both seemed to fall into the old stereotypes (pardon the pun! ) and after several listening sessions I decided I still prefered the Rotel over the much newer Marantz, although there wasn't a great deal to pick from between them. I just felt the Rotel conveyed the zip and drive of the music better and the Marantz seemed a bit subdued.

If you are after a second hand bargain the Rotel RA-01/02 are very decent, as is the newer Marantz 600x range and are both well worth seeking out.

I bought the marantz 6004 amplifier in the end what was a 5 star award winner as will.
It arrived though the door today, I have been listerning to it for about 2 hours now and it sounds amazing. it has plenty of bass just what I want to listern to my old house tapes. Yes I said tapes not CD's I am playing my tapes though awia AD-f850 tape player. I have nothing against rotel I have owned rotel in the past but i spent about £500 on the last rotel amp I owned. but the Rotel 931 MkII sounded horrible to me.

Gregsta

Mar 23, 2016
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:

If I was going to up grade Castle Severn 2 SE speakers would be my first choice, I remember when these first came out me and my brother sound tested a load of speakers in the shop all recommended by what hi fi and these had not been reviewed and they were by far the best sounding speaker at the £800 mark. They sounded amazing even better that the B&W's. My brother did purchase the Castle severn in the end, then a few years later I bought them from him. I was running them from a £1000 amp that I picked up for £300 secondhand and they just sounded amazing.

But these are in my sort list as well

KEF Q55.2 a little bit cheaper than the castle I think they were £500

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts