Rotel RA 06 amplifier + B&W 602 speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I just bought a Rotel amplifier RA06 to match my B&W 602 speakers.

Generally the sound is good. The Rotel amplifier definitelly reaches a point of clearness and definition that my previous Yamaha AX396 did not do. Still there is something that worries me about the Rotel amp. It seems to emphathise cymbals the too much. I lack a bit of definiton on the bass and I hear too much. Most of the music I hear is alternative, '60s, rock or soul so all song I hear have a lot ofit. I seem to hear a continous cymbal in my head eveytime I play it (perhaps I am getting paranoid !!!).

I read somewhere that the Rotel RA 04 matches better with my speakers and it does not have such a strong cymbal. The reason why I bought the RA 06 and no the RA 04 is beacuse they are more powerfull and that would allow me to get better speakers in the future if I feel like and have the money.

Anyone has any comment or experience on this?

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello, if you have just bought the amp then a running in period may be the order of the day. all new equipment takes time to settle in so i would not worry to much in fact you are probably hearing more detail. just settle back and enjoy your new amp, if you still have doubts a change of speaker cable may cure which i think is brightness.

A

Anonymous

Hi Mate

I have the Rotel RA-05 and thought the cymbals were a bit over powering when I first listened but after a running period of about 70 hours for all the equipment, as it was all bought new they sound great.

Thought I had a problem with the amp sounding too focused on the right channel ( that's after reading too many messages on here about the RA-04) but after some repostioning of the speakers they sound sweet now. I play only Metal and Rock and this combo works well.

Trust your instincts.....give them time and you'll not regret it.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="wannobear"]Hi Mate

I have the Rotel RA-05 and thought the cymbals were a bit over powering when I first listened but after a running period of about 70 hours for all the equipment, as it was all bought new they sound great.

Thought I had a problem with the amp sounding too focused on the right channel ( that's after reading too many messages on here about the RA-04) but after some repostioning of the speakers they sound sweet now. I play only Metal and Rock and this combo works well.

Trust your instincts.....give them time and you'll not regret it.[/quote]

IOW your ears need time to get used to the sound.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Again, as in a current thread 'system to harsh' this most likely boils down to a mismatch of components. What sounds initially impressive can, over time, become wearing and fatiguing.

I would'nt call your amplifier, as nice as it is, the most coherent sounding around. This manifests itself as a slightly bloated, detached bass and sometimes forward high frequencies. If you compare the rotel to say a rega brio you know immediately what I mean though the latter is of course not perfect either. - Partner that with the B&W's and its going to cause problems.

You already mentioned better speakers and thats where I would put my money if I where you. Meantime, perhaps experiment with some cheap cables to take a little bit of sting out of the sound. Forum members will be able to advise you on that no doubt ...

A

Anonymous

You were right, actually I must admit I really love the combination after almost a week with it. Part of the probem was the fact that the sound coming out of the speakers was different than the one I was used to before. Very happy now about it. I am even revisinting some of the albums I didn't listen to long time ago.

Thanks you for your useful feedback and also everyone else.

A

Anonymous

Jomacu

The sound out of my new systen sounds different from my old Rotel/NAD/Celestion setup. But after it was run in it sounds much better. We get used to what we are listening to and always think that there must be something wrong when the new system doesn't sound the same.

Mine new system sounds different at home than it did in the listening room at Oranges & Lemons.

Glad you kept the system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts