rotel or nad ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
Al, calm down mate.....keep cool, don't look at the screen for few mins.
[/quote]

dont panick, ive gotta pop out now. thatll give everyone time to breath.

A

Anonymous

Let's eat virtual Hobnobs and I'll make a virtual cup of tea. One sugar everybody?...Mr.Duncan would approve! : )

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"]Ahem, ermm... Drummerman, could I respectfully advise you to edit one of your previous posts before you-know-who arrives on the scene. I (and others I'm sure) would hate to be without your advise in future, albeit on the cantankerous side occasionally. Forgive me if I'm overstretching here...[/quote]

LOL! But no, i really am off out now.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Jan Hibma"]Two sugar please, and hold the crumpets.[/quote]

ooh, It's After 8 which means I can get the mints out! Anybody care for some Kendel Mint Cake? I think the milk's gone off too...I don't think my computer pasteurises it (silly Norton Anti-virus) and then my amp counteracted my virtual fridge. : (

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="tractorboy"]Ahem, ermm... Drummerman, could I respectfully advise you to edit one of your previous posts before you-know-who arrives on the scene. I (and others I'm sure) would hate to be without your advise in future, albeit on the cantankerous side occasionally. Forgive me if I'm overstretching here...[/quote]

Which one?
emotion-2.gif

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Go along the lines of Rega or creek for a musical, non-fatiguing sound. Its for grown-ups.[/quote]

You are having a laugh mate, the Rega amps are boring (cd players are nice though). As for Creek, I have a lot of respect for Mike as he is one of the nicest guy in British Hifi so I am not gonna say any thing nasty here. However the way you post above is a bit errr "big headed" and that surprise the hell out of me
emotion-3.gif

I normally like your post drummer....may be beer got better of you tonight
emotion-22.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

Which one?
emotion-2.gif

[/quote]

Good point, well made! Ah well, may the Gods have mercy on your soul...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]

[quote user="drummerman"]Go along the lines of Rega or creek for a musical, non-fatiguing sound. Its for grown-ups.[/quote]

You are having a laugh mate, the Rega amps are boring (cd players are nice though). As for Creek, I have a lot of respect for Mike as he is one of the nicest guy in British Hifi so I am not gonna say any thing nasty here. However the way you post above is a bit errr "big headed" and that surprise the hell out of me
emotion-3.gif

I normally like your post drummer....may be beer got better of you tonight
emotion-22.gif

[/quote]

Sober and having a good time. I've just posted my experience with a Brio on another thread £300ish amplifier?? It has no swearing or abuse and is suitable for children albeit with parental guidance. Whilst I agree that rega amplification from the mira upwards does'nt exactly set the world alight I like the little brio a lot. Its even handed handling of the 'musical spectrum' without major shortcomings is refreshing at the price. It's also not boring though it does'nt highlight certain aspects as some of the competition do (rotel incl) so might loose out in 2 minute dem. But then we all know what can happen with initially impressive stuff dont we.

A

Anonymous

cypher, i dont think any of your kit is diabolical.Its all pretty much up there with the best you can get for the money. I know you just bought the RS1's so are you sure you are giving them a fair shake? i also heard that the marantz cd player could be a little bright sometimes, which wont help.You still didnt say which cables you use though.Might be worth a change there to see if it can improve things a little before you go changing the speakers or amp.If you are using qed silver cable that will not help at all.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]You still didnt say which cables you use though.Might be worth a change there to see if it can improve things a little before you go changing the speakers or amp.If you are using qed silver cable that will not help at all.[/quote]

Yes, good point. Igglebert knows his way around the world of leads, best to talk to him. I believe he recommends Chord Chameleon Silver Plus the most.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Fraziel"]You still didnt say which cables you use though.Might be worth a change there to see if it can improve things a little before you go changing the speakers or amp.If you are using qed silver cable that will not help at all.[/quote] Yes, good point. Igglebert knows his way around the world of leads, best to talk to him. I believe he recommends Chord Chameleon Silver Plus the most.[/quote]

i demo'd the chord chameleon silver plus recently. v good cable but i thought it overdid the treble a bit with the mon audios and didnt get it for that reason. A dnm reson interconnect and speaker cable would be a good choice. Not pricey either. I know igglebert has been in cable demo mode for a while now so maybe he has found something new.Maybe that chord cobra he had? he said its a bit warm and restrained.Could be ideal.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"]Maybe that chord cobra he had? he said its a bit warm and restrained.Could be ideal.[/quote]

Ah, yes. He said it was "sucking the life out of my (his) system" which I presume means, as you put, it is a rather Arcamy sound...excuse the term. Yes, that sounds good could releve the hights of the MAs, another thing to do would be to change speaker wire and I guess sticking to Chord would be a good idea there aswell.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Ok cypher

I try and give you a more detailed explanation on why I personally think your system does'nt gel.

Its a bit more fundamental than cables so dont spend any cash on that for the moment.

Your speakers have a rather underdamped bass unit and slightly bright treble. It comes over as a somewhat 'papery' balance. A lack of sub 200hz punch and substance.

The rotel has a similar balance. Bass is a tad loose and treble can be brightish. You can adjust the latter to an extend with the tone control or cabling but this will not cure your problem. Incidently, this sound, not unlike a slight loudness curve, is common to almost all rotel models short of the digital ones.

Your idea of the NAD, whilst I have'nt heard the new model, could address the balance and is worth trying in a home dem. You can't loose anything though it may be a sidewards move more than an upgrade.

If I was you, I'd look a bit into the future and think what is the most limiting component in your system. Now, unless you're really in love with your speakers I'd point you in that direction.

A change there will make the biggest difference and if you choose wisely, it can be good enough to partner a few source/amp component upgrades.

A

Anonymous

Ok cypher

I try and give you a more detailed explanation on why I personally think your system does'nt gel.

Its a bit more fundamental than cables so dont spend any cash on that for the moment.

Your speakers have a rather underdamped bass unit and slightly bright treble. It comes over as a somewhat 'papery' balance. A lack of sub 200hz punch and substance.

The rotel has a similar balance. Bass is a tad loose and treble can be brightish. You can adjust the latter to an extend with the tone control or cabling but this will not cure your problem. Incidently, this sound, not unlike a slight loudness curve, is common to almost all rotel models short of the digital ones.

Your idea of the NAD, whilst I have'nt heard the new model, could address the balance and is worth trying in a home dem. You can't loose anything though it may be a sidewards move more than an upgrade.

If I was you, I'd look a bit into the future and think what is the most limiting component in your system. Now, unless you're really in love with your speakers I'd point you in that direction.

A change there will make the biggest difference and if you choose wisely, it can be good enough to partner a few source/amp component upgrades.
[/quote]

Now that is how you do it! Fantastic comment that puts the rest of us into the dust and yet doesn't offend anyone! : ) Rock on Drummerman!

A

Anonymous

Ok cypher

[/quote]
That's exactly the approach I'm taking with my kit, listed in my signature. Speakers first as they're starting to annoy me now. I've heard the Rega R5s recently and was impressed with their speed, control and beautifully balanced bass. Then I'm going to sort the amp. The MA RS1s are great little speakers and do a good job of lots of music, but their bass abilities do leave you guessing sometimes...good for the money though!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Fraziel"][quote user="Hughes123"][quote user="Fraziel"]You still didnt say which cables you use though.Might be worth a change there to see if it can improve things a little before you go changing the speakers or amp.If you are using qed silver cable that will not help at all.[/quote] Yes, good point. Igglebert knows his way around the world of leads, best to talk to him. I believe he recommends Chord Chameleon Silver Plus the most.[/quote]

I know igglebert has been in cable demo mode for a while now so maybe he has found something new.Maybe that chord cobra he had? he said its a bit warm and restrained.Could be ideal.[/quote]

Haha, I've given up my cable games and have entered my pin into the PDQ. I've thoroughly enjoyed it but if you're not careful you end up becoming too analytical of the music and stop enjoying it. Plus I found myself investigating where I could borrow a Chord Chorus 2 and Nordost Red Dawn from...slippery slope.

The Chord Chameleon isn't the last word in interconnects for the £90-£130 mark but I rather enjoy it in my system. The Cobra 2 is doing a sterling job on my TV, toning down the excitable sound it throws out.

Now, where's good place to borrow some Rega R5s from...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Hughes123"] Now that is how you do it! Fantastic comment that puts the rest of us into the dust and yet doesn't offend anyone! : ) Rock on Drummerman![/quote]

Calm down. The odd thing is more often than not my comments offend forum members other than the person posting the thread/asking the question.

There are moderators working on this forum and I really dont think I need anybody other than the person I am talking to at any given time to tell me if they feel offended.

If I make a mistake I apologize but I also give advise based on personal opinion and experiences.

If anybody has a problem with my way of putting things, dont answer, dont read my postings, dont respond if it does'nt concern you directly or just report me to whoever.

What would be better however is not to take it too personal.

Now I think thats enough of that.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
There are moderators working on this forum and I really dont think I need anybody other than the person I am talking to at any given time to tell me if they feel offended.

[/quote]

Nice to know that mate, I
emotion-16.gif
from now on although I have to mention that unlike most forums, The mods are hardly in here. WHF editors are working as a moderators as well as testing the gears, set up the show not to mention eating hobnobs!

I have been posting long enough not to take any comments personal but most members here are not season posters, take it easy dude and keep on posting
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

what other speakers are there in that £350 range? There is nothing better than the RS1's.Not that i can think of anyway.Now i like mon audio speakers and i agree that the bass in the RS1's might be slghtly under damped but its night and bloody day compared to the original S1's.they had no bass whatsoever. I demo'd the RS1's against the B&W 686's,685'sand the MA BR2's and the RS1's were the best using similarly priced amplification.If you use an amp like a kandy the B&W's were better, but only at really high volume. The Epos M5 might be worth a look but they have a rather demanding speaker load that is probably not suited to a 40w per channel rotel. Yes the Rs1's have shortcomings but they are still better than a lot of speakers i have heard and the nad would go a way to helping the bottom end. I agree that cables wont totally solve it but mine have helped.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"] I
emotion-16.gif
from now on [/quote]

Now you sound exactly like my gf.

I bet that, like her, you never keep that promise.

[/quote]

Poor you but what was the promise? may be she couldn't go through with it!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Fraziel"]what other speakers are there in that £350 range[/quote]

I would have thought the exact epos'es you mention would give a more coherent result and 'pull in' the frequency extremes/anomalities of the rotel and marantz. Same with the 12.2. I just dont happen to like the MA's very much but know that many people do.

They certainly have to be matched to an amplifier with a solid well damped low frequency behaviour and of a coherent, powerful nature to get the best from them. Not really possible at the extreme budget end. I have heard them with a number of more expensive components yet they still failed to make me like them unfortunately but that really goes for the whole range.

My suggestion, as always, is rega's R3. A bit more expensive but we had them at the end of some unfeasably expensive components, valves included and not once have I heard them sound anything other than good, more often outstandingly good compared to speakers at two or three times the price. I am, by the way, not entirely rega biased. I happen to like the speakers and the little entry level brio.

Alternatively, B&W's CM1 has a nice warmth and a very refined treble. I would'nt choose them over the afromentioned Epos'es or the Rega but in some systems they add a bit of solidity/presence and are way better than any of the six series speakers.

TRENDING THREADS