rotel or nad ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
For the record, it wasnt aimed at anyone in particular, and was intended in good taste. Drummerman has put in his defence, so ill put in mine: i realise some may have found my comments mildly offensive, but ive not been the only one, and, at the risk of sounding a little childish, i wasnt the first. i also resent the accusation that i weighed in in defense of someone i thought was offended. i weighed in because i was offended. Drummerman redeemed himself well, but it really isnt nice to ask a question and get that kind of response, and it shouldnt happen. Anyway, these things happen, and can then be forgotten, hopefully. it will be by me. I'm off to glew all my belongings to the floor before the aftershock.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
I use :

Carnival Silver Plus speaker cable / Chord cobra 3

But that's not the problem. I have used cheaper speaker cables and it made no difference to the sound. I think I'm going to buy other speakers soon. When I used the BR2 the sound wasn't bright or harsh, the RS1 is definitely superior in many areas but I think they are too bright.

A

Anonymous

As long as you remember the speaker load of those M5's you mentioned and the fact that they also have a metal tweeter.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Cypher"]I'm also going to try the Kef IQ5SE..........[/quote]

I'd be amazed if you like them but trying does'nt cost anything.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Are they that bad ?
emotion-1.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Cypher"]
Are they that bad ?
emotion-1.gif

[/quote]

Its a long time since I've heard the predecessor but I remember thinking what was all the fuss about. It was harsh and unrefined. Perhaps the 'new' model is better but I have yet to hear a good (current) budget Kef. Having said that I think the same of budget B&W's and budget Mordaunt Shorts. Ok for HT, not music.

If you can also listen to Usher's S-520, a small standmount about the size of your current speakers. They would be my choice after the R3's and Epos'es. Very punchy with good bass and a clear, defined treble. Everything your MA's are not but perhaps you like the kefs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
Its a long time since I've heard the predecessor but I remember thinking what was all the fuss about. It was harsh and unrefined.
[/quote]
Agreed

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think you're getting a little confused. The little NAD is fantastic for the money but you already have the rotel. Like I said some days ago, your problem lies (mostly) with the speakers and thats where you will gain the most. Sort that first in the context of what you have (and know well) now and spend the money there. Your speakers can't be good enough. - Then, when you have the money, upgrade the amplifier to something that is a significant step up from your current device.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
The problem is that when the RS1 sound good, they really sound good. They are just a little too bright with certain music. Maybe a 'warmer' sounding amp like the NAD will solve this problem a little bit.

amarocknrollstar

Feb 27, 2008
Visit site
I'm a current Rotel owner and previous Nad owner. I'm a big fan of the sound from both but my Nad decided to develop a fault and had to be shipped out. My dad experienced the same problem with his Nad and if you look on ebay there are a number of Nad's for sale with faults. For that reason I would not buy a Nad again in the future. Hope this helps!

Stevie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts