Room 101

Page 30 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DCarmi

Royal Mail Tracked 24 (i.e. Next day delivery).
After 4 days it has got as far as Birmingham Mail Centre which is about 23 miles from its start, 43 minutes by car or you can walk it in 7 hours. It still has got about 100 miles to go!

I now have a non-guaranteed delivery slot of between 10:07 and 14:07 tomorrow. Really? A hypothetical 4 hour slot at 7 minutes past the hour!

Reactions: Cricketbat70

Friesiansam

After 4 days it has got as far as Birmingham Mail Centre which is about 23 miles from its start, 43 minutes by car or you can walk it in 7 hours. It still has got about 100 miles to go!

I now have a non-guaranteed delivery slot of between 10:07 and 14:07 tomorrow. Really? A hypothetical 4 hour slot at 7 minutes past the hour!
There was a time, when I considered Royal Mail just about 100% reliable...

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
There was a time, when I considered Royal Mail just about 100% reliable...
I think they are very near the bottom of the heap these days.

I've had Amazon purchases recently, delivered by royal mail where I've had the "can't find your address need more information" message. I thought I can understand that BS message from the likes of Evri but royal mail!! I went round to my local sorting office and before I'd even opened my mouth they said "it will be delivered tomorrow" So I started explaining about the message on the Amazon app and the bloke said "yep it will be delivered tomorrow we've been short staffed there are loads that will get delivered tomorrow". So rather than telling the truth and I suppose to stop Amazon penalties for not delivering on time, they make the excuse the address is incomplete.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Absolutely
I've had that problem many times even having items damaged in the rain.

The new trick is they try to override the signing for a parcel process with emails stating "you can now get signed for parcels without the need for a signature for convenience" by clicking here (a box embedded in the email)

Aka they want to override your right to sign for a parcel ensuring high value items aren't just dumped at the door or an UNSPECIFIED so called safe place one did not instruct.

It's unbelievable that they would assume anybody would want to wave the signature process giving them the right to dump your parcel or even worse steal it.

All so they can avoid the 3 delivery attempts rule and save on you not being in etc and having to come back.

As I wrote not long ago I had the task of having to record live via a delivery vans GPS a delivery man stealing an amp and then sending bogus delivery successful messages whilst never actually coming near the property or even the town I live in.

The complete twonk even posted a delivery successful message with the seafront in the background which is unbelievably thick giving that I live inland.

The lengths DPD went to trying to lie about it was criminal.

Unfortunately for them I did not disclose the recording of the GPS or photo until after they lied to expose their blatant mistruths.

I was very satisfied when exposing them and the "Imran" whoever for theft.

The speakers I've just bought I hired a van to pick up at great inconvenience because of my distrust in DPD especially for high value items.

Its a rare occasion I'd of happily done jail time to hand out public justice on the twonk who stole the amp and blatantly lied about delivering it all the way up to me handing in the location video and photo of the bogus address he'd posted as the delivery recipient.

Parcel theft is higher than ever with companies getting worse and employing the type no one dare mention worsining things further.

I'm afraid everytime I order anything valuable.
That's the broader picture where I live too.

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Couriers who just abandon parcels on the doorstep, often without even bothering to knock on the door and, regardless of the weather.
We have one who regularly does that at our front door. We have another one who Rach, caught just dumping the parcel in our garage. Rach had a do at him about it being private property and who gave him permission to go into our garage. His reply was "it's about time you had a safe place" To which Rach replied "why do I need a safe place, I'm house bound, I'm in all the time, I just watched you from the dining room window just walk into our yard, not even attempt to knock on the door." Since then the knew garage door we had been waiting for has been installed, so we can now lock the pedestrian side entrance and surprise surprise me and my son came home from work Friday night to find a parcel dumped by our back door. Three people in the house and no attempt to ring the bell, we have a sign on the door asking people to ring the bell. We live in a house that used to be a shop and have a mains powered bell that shakes the house when it's used so there's no excuse.

Reactions: DougK1

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
In the future, we will all live in houses with an Amazon locker outside. Problem solved!
Until they like the local one outside Lidl which is fully on CCTV is Brocken into.

It in itself would add more problems to an already failing system of idiocy.

In some of the neighborhoods round here if would be like painting a bullseye on ones house.

Nothing was wrong with signing for ones parcel to ensure delivery is taken.
Afterall it was a reliable trustworthy service because of it.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
I actually prefer that there are delivery options etc. Despite living in one of the highest crime parts of London, I successfully had the postman leaving items in my bin shed for 10 years without a problem. And even plenty of Amazon deliveries left on the doorstep/under the mat (always lol when it’s a large box).

I hate people sending parcels signed for, as I’m not always in. And the delivery office often has temps, so requests to just deliver me a card & I’ll collect doesn’t always get through. I much prefer knowing it’s been left if I’m not around, for my convenience. I buy pretty much everything online, and have done since the early days of internet shopping (a godsend for me, Autism & all).

This parcel theft on Monday was 2 items left behind a gate that looks like it’s locked, and in fact would be if it wasn’t broken & never fixed by the landlord. You can see through the gate, so a clever thief obvs saw their opportunity. No one’s fault but theirs in this situation.

The problem I’m having is that the delivery company isn’t really open to what I’m saying. Luckily they were both bought via eBay, so I’ve got a slim chance by arguing the parcels were left in an insecure area (& I’ve got a crime number from the police- biggest waste of time reporting that, but I think it’s important for statistics just in case there’s ever going to be money to tackle petty crime like this). There’s also a sad part, as one of the postman definitely did a fake signature - almost definitely doing me a favour as he’s a lovely guy - and if I want to get my money back, I have no choice but to point out what happened 😔

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
All I know is that suffering theft of a high value item already id rather sign for it as it being discarded beside the bin isn't safe where I live on a communal path connecting two bungalows.

Unfortunately not all sender's provide a sign for delivery option when posting things which I assumed they did after a certain price point.
However regardless to me of value it's not something I'm ever accepting of.

I've had things left in the rain also that have been damaged, yet again ensuring delivery through the door via signing for it would negate this also.

When I purchase something expensive I'm more than willing to wait in to sign for it to avoid possible theft.
Signatures are harder to get round than a parcel companies word only of delivery.

After all a signature can be scrutinised a dishonest delivery guys cannot especially if they follow the upwards trend of posting pictures of ones address and say it's been delivered.

Worse is this putting parcels in safe places that aren't ever asked for not indeed specified in the delivery options.
I've had to phone my neighbour countless times to retrieve things from the side of the bin etc.

I'm not sure an amazon locker will ever turn up on people's houses however.
I'd imagine the size of ones parcel with effect that giving it's a major problem with the existing ones.

Theives adapt and already the brighter ones stake out shops and houses etc etc and have done for yrs.
I'm sure they'd do the same if Amazon lockers were on people's property.

It would be too easy for them to follow a parcel van into a street to see which boxes are being delivered too.
Especially with seculeded addresses, the very reason Amazon site lockers in busy places is to avoid giving thieves such secrecy and cover.
That would indeed be guaranteed plot loot.

I dread deliveries now not knowing what to expect when I'm not in.

I'd sure if liked the option of picking up the roskan k3 from the post office rather than its theft because I wasn't in that's for sure.

Options are good however but to me I preferred the old way.

Last edited:
Headlines that are just nonsense - there's one on the front page of a reputabel news outlet this morning claiming that:

No-one can forget Mikey's stabbing at a party, even those who never knew him.

I have the utmost sympathy for the lad in question and for his family and friends, I really do, but to say that everyone else is haunted by it is silly.

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Headlines that are just nonsense - there's one on the front page of a reputabel news outlet this morning claiming that:

I have the utmost sympathy for the lad in question and for his family and friends, I really do, but to say that everyone else is haunted by it is silly.
I've thought about this a second as I'm in a rush and just like to quickly browse whilst listening to music getting up and I think it pertains to the "people who never knew him personally but saw it take place"

Maybe I've missed something the music is predictably loud and I'm not one for mornings but imagine his stabbing was a deeply shocking thing to witness.

Things like that indent heavily into ones mind.
On the contrary I remember a kid killed Infront of me as I waited for a bus at 17yrs old.

I'm now twice the age and more and still remember it as it was yesterday.
Trust me I'd rather I didn't but not knowing him or his name caused me to find out what I could.

Maybe it could of been headlined better

Reactions: DougK1 and Gray

Gray

I read that headline on the BBC News app.
I just took it as being the sort of thing I expect to see now.
It's certainly not the sort of headline you'd have read in the past - but times have changed.
I didn't read the story.

One I did read, was about 3 bodies recently found down a well in Mexico.
A fourth body was found down the same well....but it had been there longer and was unrelated 🤨

Fred1958

Apr 23, 2023
Visit site
Contender for 101
I have just received an email from my broadband provider thanking me for 'reaching out' when I needed help with a problem. I'm in Cheshire and they are in Yorkshire.

How long do they think my arms are?

Reactions: Gray

Cricketbat70

Feb 2, 2023
Visit site
Speaking of broadband provider. My contract is nearing it's end and has gone up from £29.99 to just over £31 but my provider wants me to renew my contract for £39.99. No thanks I'll just keep it rolling at £31 and if you want to force me into the new contract. There are number of other providers out there offering full fibre to the property still at £29.99

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts