Room 101

Page 27 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gray

Anybody that pays £124.99 for a Nike, 'authentic' England shirt.

EDIT:
Just realised I'm sat here (where's that grammar checking bloke?) in a pair of England trousers.

They were given to me, unused, with the Sports Direct price label still attached:
'Was £29.99 Now £2.99'.
That's the sort of 90% discount the shirt needs....£12.49 would be about right.

Last edited:
Reactions: DougK1

Friesiansam

Yesterday's ditherers - from the car that pulled into the overtaking lane (fine, as it was turning right at the next roundabout), but then dithered at 25 (it's a 40) thus ensuring that at least two other cars didn't get through at that cycle of the lights. And who then accelerated glacially* to a heady 20 along the next 30, before pulling off at a speed so slow you'd have to assume he thought the car was going to topple over.
What used to really annoy me, as a young man with a slow car, was the drivers with a much quicker car who would slow almost to a stop for bends, then use the power on the straights, so there was no way I could pass them…

What used to really annoy me, as a young man with a slow car, was the drivers with a much quicker car who would slow almost to a stop for bends, then use the power on the straights, so there was no way I could pass them…
Isn't there a quote about straights being for fast cars and corners for fast drivers? Seems to me that as there's a limit to how much speed you can use on straights, and that stamping on the brakes is the last refuge of the lumpen, corners are where you can most enjoy yourself ad your car.

Brings to mind being tailgated on a slip road by a 4x4, which then tried to keep up around the corner and ended up understeering into the opposite lane. Mercifully nothing using it...

DCarmi

Motorway undertaking lane hoppers. Those looking for a gap to gain a few extra car lengths.

On Friday travelling on a busy motorway, and some clown in an Merc was doing just that. He popped out just in front of me a couple of times trying to see if he could gain a few feet an popped back in again. Given I'm driving with cruise control in the overtaking lane, my car the brakes each time he does this.

A bit later I see a car in front head towards the central reservation (that bit of the road had affectively an extra lane before the barrier so fortunately no contact was made) . Everyone in front slams on the brakes including me. I stop not more than 5 centimetres from the car in front and I am looking at the car behind to see if he will manage to do the same. I am assuming that the k**b in the Merc was responsible.

My heart was pounding !

Motorway undertaking lane hoppers. Those looking for a gap to gain a few extra car lengths.

On Friday travelling on a busy motorway, and some clown in an Merc was doing just that. He popped out just in front of me a couple of times trying to see if he could gain a few feet an popped back in again. Given I'm driving with cruise control in the overtaking lane, my car the brakes each time he does this.

A bit later I see a car in front head towards the central reservation (that bit of the road had affectively an extra lane before the barrier so fortunately no contact was made) . Everyone in front slams on the brakes including me. I stop not more than 5 centimetres from the car in front and I am looking at the car behind to see if he will manage to do the same. I am assuming that the k**b in the Merc was responsible.

My heart was pounding !
Always gratifying when you see that people who do that end up choosing the wrong lanes, and actually end up behind you.

The person who pulled out of a side street in front of me, glared at me and then carried on coming, meaning I had to come to a complete stop. I don't mind people making mistakes, but when they seem to blame someone else for it I lose all sympathy.

Still, looked like her car wasn't going to make it much farther. Fingers crossed, for the safety of others...

Friesiansam

I posted the following in another forum earlier today, you'll see why it is in this thread, when you get to the end.

TV has been playing up for a while but, switching it off at the mains then back on, has been enough to keep it working. With that in mind we have been switching it off over night. Recently though it has been getting worse and, yesterday refused to work properly at all, just a faint shadow of a picture.

We have a Freesat box so, I thought better try the TV’s own tuner, lo and behold it was fine so, thought it must be the box, which is cheaper than a TV, so ok.

Finally, after all that, thought I would try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI lead. Now absolutely fine, in fact the picture was better than it has been for a long time, all the original vibrancy is back.

This has been going on for months, getting steadily worse and, I have thought about doing something similar about it for a long time. But each time there was a problem, all was forgotten and I just switched off at the mains and back on.

Few things are more frustrating, than losing memory…

Gray

My reaction to people beginning sentences / answers with the word 'so'.

It might be an irrational reaction - and I know I keep on about it, but it drives me to distraction.

I like science and science programmes, but scientists are the worst cases - they more or less invented the habit.
So often it's the educated types - they somehow seem to want to fit in with all the other sheep.
It's like a signal to show they're in the clever club.
Worst thing that's happened to the English language.....even worse than that accent that many teenagers use - in an effort to sound the same as their peers* - but in that case, they seem to want to sound stupid....and they're doing a great job of it 🤨

* As heard in any vox pops from London school kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Friesiansam

Friesiansam

My reaction to people beginning sentences / answers with the word 'so'.

It might be an irrational reaction - and I know I keep on about it, but it drives me to distraction.

I like science and science programmes, but scientists are the worst cases - they more or less invented the habit.
So often it's the educated types - they somehow seem to want to fit in with all the other sheep.
It's like a signal to show they're in the clever club.
Worst thing that's happened to the English language.....even worse than that accent that many teenagers use - in an effort to sound the same as their peers* - but in that case, they seem to want to sound stupid....and they're doing a great job of it 🤨

* As heard in any vox pops from London school kids.
Gift and gifted, instead of, give and given, annoys me just as much.

Reactions: Gray and DougK1

Friesiansam

so, are you saying you’re currently angry with yourself?
Don't wind him up, you won't like him when he's angry...

The-Incredible-Hulk-image-the-incredible-hulk-36385694-500-628.jpg

Reactions: Gray

Gray

so, are you saying you’re currently angry with yourself?
That's the only way 'so' should be used - as a follow-on 👍
(I'd be more than unhappy if I ever became a so merchant - I'd expect to be banned from the forum).

...just watched a three-way discussion on Newsnight.
Professor woman from Sussex University:
The first word she said in the discussion was "So".
Second answer she gave began with "So".
I turned it off.

Last edited:
Reactions: DCarmi and Al ears
That's the only way 'so' should be used - as a follow-on 👍
(I'd be more than unhappy if I ever became a so merchant - I'd expect to be banned from the forum).

...just watched a three-way discussion on Newsnight.
Professor woman from Sussex University:
The first word she said in the discussion was "So".
Second answer she gave began with "So".
I turned it off.
So not worth watching then??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts