Room 101

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Ditto! Got one next door, my neighbour is a lovely old girl but her dog is a complete pita yapper. Unfortunately if the dog is a pain I lay the blame on the owner... I've had dogs in the past and they were always well behaved.
Same here. I've had several dogs from day one but never the yappy type.

Our first one a mongrel used to growl at any delivery driver, except 'Bluenose' our baker.

The second was a labrador/alsatian cross. Rarely barked but used to pin people to the wall. She almost killed my dad: on this one occasion when we took her over the park we decided to take a tennis ball and racquet. I whacked the ball in one direction so the dog chased after it, I ran in one direction, my dad in the other direction. Once woofer saw us running, she chased my dad and didn't stop and ran straight through his legs. My dad went airborne. He spent a week in bed with a badly bruised back.

Memories from a couple of our doggies.

Reactions: WayneKerr

WayneKerr

The second was a labrador/alsatian cross. Rarely barked but used to pin people to the wall. She almost killed my dad: on this one occasion when we took her over the park we decided to take a tennis ball and racquet. I whacked the ball in one direction so the dog chased after it, I ran in one direction, my dad in the other direction. Once woofer saw us running, she chased my dad and didn't stop and ran straight through his legs. My dad went airborne. He spent a week in bed with a badly bruised back.

Memories from a couple of our doggies.
:ROFLMAO: Had a few Labs over the years and they've taken me out many times in exactly the same way as you describe... they obviously have very poor brakes... got the pads but no discs :)

Friesiansam

I think it's a 'little dog' thing. Recall a documentary about wild dogs, and the juvenile and smaller ones served their pack purpose by acting more as sentries - so being a noisy so-and-so was useful. Doesn't really apply in the domestic scenario...
If you are worried about crime at home, the idea is to have 2 dogs, a big one and a small one. The small one sounds the alarm, the big one scares off the burglar.

We have a small dog and a big cat, not sure if it will be as effective...

Dust allergy is worse. At least hayfever is generally seasonal, whereas if I walk or sit in a dusty room anytime of the year I start sneezing.
Not sure I'm convinced - Hayfever makes everywhere in the world a dusty room for several months of the year! I get woken up by a runny nose most mornings at the moment, and that, sore eyes etc are a fixture to some extent even if you take antihistamines.

Horowitz

May 12, 2023
Visit site
Absolutely detest the modern use of the word 'so' - usually used to begin an answer to a question, by educated types.
I'm surprised that broadcasters don't give some pre interview guidance against it.

Posts on this forum sometimes begin with 'so'....
Should be in the rules: 'Such posts will not be deleted, but are likely to be ignored'.
Maybe not so modern, Gray. I posted this mini-rant on my blog as a 'words consultant' in May, 2013 and it still drives me bonkers:

Can anyone remember when the habit of interviewees launching into an answer with ‘so’ began to catch on?

I don’t know if it’s just me, but when I hear people do this, it sounds inane. An interviewer on TV or radio asks a ‘spokesperson’ a question. They then launch off into an answer, beginning with ‘so’. Which would be fine if they’d just explained something, and were about to add to it with information – or an argument – that depended upon it. But, 99 times out of 100, they haven’t explained anything first. So… what?!

This actually sounds thoroughly patronising, because it makes the listener think that maybe they haven’t been paying attention. Or that they’re too thick to have understood a point. Even though no point had been made! Clearly it’s a device to help the speaker ‘hit the ground running’. Like ‘well’, or ‘now’. But neither of these suggest a logical progression in the way that ‘so’ does. So… who the hell came up with this nonsense?!

So (sic) I think I first started to notice it from Australian sportsmen and women in interviews two or three years ago. The Boss reckons she heard it from some Canadians she worked with in medical publishing 3 or 4 years back. But now it’s ubiquitous with business and even government spokespeople. It would appear that it has become the trendy media trainer’s device of the month. But it makes people sound vacuous and robotic.

So please desist.

Friesiansam

Having watched the "How it's made - tube amps" video, I'm reminded of something that belongs here:

TV programmes and videos, presented in a way that shows they are assuming the audience is thick and/or, has the memory of a gold fish with Alzheimer's.

EDIT: And another thing, why have operations become known as surgeries? A surgery is where you go to see your GP, for eff's sake.

These ridiculous sleuth series:

Cadfael: A medieval crime solving monk
Father Brown
Sister Boniface
Marple. Is this not Poirot in a frock?

I like crime/action/adventure programmes such as Spooks, Foyle's War, Prime Suspect, The Persuaders!...

American equivalents are even worse, Murder, She Wrote, Diagnosis Murder....

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site

Father Brown
Sister Boniface

I like crime/action/adventure programmes such as Spooks, Foyle's War, Prime Suspect, The Persuaders!...

I've honestly never watched even as much as 10 seconds of any in the above list.
(I waste my time in other ways).

jjbomber

Father Brown
Sister Boniface

Buy a TV with an off button!!!

That's another for Room 101. People who watch rubbish on TV,, complain about it, but never switch the TV off.

Not sure I'm convinced - Hayfever makes everywhere in the world a dusty room for several months of the year! I get woken up by a runny nose most mornings at the moment, and that, sore eyes etc are a fixture to some extent even if you take antihistamines.
2nd time this week up at 5 a.m. because of a permanently runny nose. I'm doubling up on my antihistamines for the next few weeks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts