Room 101

Page 33 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Revolutions

Anybody that participates in what's become known as 'virtue signalling'.
Often intelligent people* - just trying to fit in (with other like-minded sheep) by appearing to be nice people.
Sadly, their intelligence stops just short of them understanding the very real harm that they're doing.

* Mostly, but not exclusively, begin sentences with the word 'So'.
And this is a perfect example of virtue signalling 😁

Gray

...obviously simple honesty would be preferable.
It really would be.
If only.

I've been told I'm too honest - which is surely a contradiction in terms.
I'd never be unkind to anyone, but otherwise, what does it mean to be too honest?

(True, honesty has cost me in employment (and even once in a job interview), where obvious BS needed to be corrected - but I didn't want to work for those dishonest employers anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: SohoAudiophile

Revolutions

Politically correct, patronising stuff that treats people with contempt - we pay politicians to provide us with that.
😂

Nothing wrong with being politically correct. Yet it’s exactly that: patronising & utterly contradictory messaging from companies whose boardrooms are still 80% male (with a goal to reduce to 30% by 2027).

On the flip-side, I love perfume/aftershave marketing teams: they’ve not given up selling us the dream of an unobtainable life. They know we don’t really want see unattractive, overweight couples mirroring the utter drudgery of ‘real life’ back at us.

Reactions: SohoAudiophile

Gray

😂

Nothing wrong with being politically correct. Yet it’s exactly that: patronising & utterly contradictory messaging from companies whose boardrooms are still 80% male (with a goal to reduce to 30% by 2027).

On the flip-side, I love perfume/aftershave marketing teams: they’ve not given up selling us the dream of an unobtainable life. They know we don’t really want see unattractive, overweight couples mirroring the utter drudgery of ‘real life’ back at us.
Must admit that any perfume ads that I've accidentally seen, especially for male scents! 😱 have made me feel a bit sick. (French accents don't help 🤨).
I don't mind the over-attractive women, it's just anything pushing 'lifestyle' products....any adverts really, I can't turn them off fast enough.

I'm the complete opposite to the advertisers' ideal.

Last edited:
All forms of advertising in Room 101 for me.

Politically correct, patronising stuff that treats people with contempt - we pay politicians to provide us with that.
I find the adverts with humanised, talking animals, especially patronising and irritating. Recording programmes on add supported channels, so the ads can be skipped through, is the best solution.

daveh75

Must admit that any perfume ads that I've accidentally seen, especially for male scents! 😱 have made me feel a bit sick. (French accents don't help 🤨).
I don't mind the over-attractive women, it's just anything pushing 'lifestyle' products....any adverts really, I can't turn them off fast enough.

I'm the complete opposite to the advertisers' ideal.

Frankly, in 2024 if you're still subjecting yourself to adverts then you're a dinosaur (at least technologically speaking)

As an aside, if you're too cheap to pay for content then don't moan about adverts... It has to be funded somehow!

Last edited:

bp_reid

Jun 5, 2023
Visit site
Anybody that participates in what's become known as 'virtue signalling'.
Often intelligent people* - just trying to fit in (with other like-minded sheep) by appearing to be nice people.
Sadly, their intelligence stops just short of them understanding the very real harm that they're doing.

* Mostly, but not exclusively, begin sentences with the word 'So'.
Isn't droning on about 'virtue-signalling' and 'wokeness' are generally signalling different perceived virtues to to your own group, maybe just a with bit more anger.

So, off you pop, to room 101.

Reactions: daveh75

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts