RipNas - anyone tried one??

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
I've just ordered a Sonos system from my local HiFi Retailer and am now considering a Network Drive (Preferably with CD ripping built in)

i have done some digging into this and seen as the Xiva MusicMate is unavailable The RipNas looks like the only viable option.

Has anyone had any experience with the RipNas? as it looks fairly in-keeping with the looks of Sonos and looking at the spec it is more thorough with searching for track info than anything else out there?

Any thoughts?

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
We use the RipNas in a good number of our Sonos installations and have no complaints at all with the product. It performs exactly as you would expect and so far we are trouble free. The service we receive from the company is first class as well.

If you have any specific queries let me know.

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
TheHomeCinemaCentre:
We use the RipNas in a good number of our Sonos installations and have no complaints at all with the product. It performs exactly as you would expect and so far we are trouble free. The service we receive from the company is first class as well.

If you have any specific queries let me know.

Many thanks my local dealer has agreed to get one in for me to have a look at as they are looking to this to replace the Musicm8 in their store

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
avoid the musicm8 its not all that and is fundamentally flawed - the device does not allow you to update the latest software of the individule programmes like squeeze centre for example you must wait for a musicm8 firmware upgrade which includes the squeezebox updates so the machine is permanently 6 months behind and if they have stopped making it or supporting it not sure if thats what you meant is dead already.

what hi fi failed to mention this and gave it 5 stars its a 1 star product as it fails on every level and is unusable - trust me i bought one and sent it back! I'm currently lookng at the ripnas but not jumped yet as worried it maybe the same and that you have to wait for updates need to check!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matengawhat:
avoid the musicm8 its not all that and is fundamentally flawed - the device does not allow you to update the latest software of the individule programmes like squeeze centre for example you must wait for a musicm8 firmware upgrade which includes the squeezebox updates so the machine is permanently 6 months behind and if they have stopped making it or supporting it not sure if thats what you meant is dead already.

what hi fi failed to mention this and gave it 5 stars its a 1 star product as it fails on every level and is unusable - trust me i bought one and sent it back! I'm currently lookng at the ripnas but not jumped yet as worried it maybe the same and that you have to wait for updates need to check!

I was about to say that for £500, let alone £700, it's a lot of money for what it actually offers. I use the Popcorn Hour A-200 with a 1TB internal drive and a 1.5TB external drive. The PCH costs about £170 and a 1TB drive costs about £70. It's all networked to my PC. I rip cds using my PC and then they are automatically sent to the PCH. On top of how good the PCH is for music, it also plays all movies and the firmware is upgraded often.

I can see how WHF rated the Xivo highly as it sounds nice and easy to use and it's all in one case (a large one compared to media players like the PCH). However, people must realise that WHF are not experts in PC orientated products and you are better off doing research using other sources.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thank god i did - i did email them to ask for support to both the uk and us offices and never got a response still waiting- called the uk help desk number and got some bloke who was very unhelpful basically said nothing he can do and down to the american team I asked when we could expect an update and he said he had no idea i should call them! great service n support not!

TRENDING THREADS