Ringing the changes

Hi everyone. This weekend I was planning a visit to the hi-fi retailers to hopefully listen to a couple of amplifiers. My fiancee tagged along and asked whether she could come and listen to a couple of amps. The thing is: my fiance is wheelchair user. I subsequently asked the retailer if he had access for wheelchairs. No was his answer.

Not the sort of person to give up I phone three others within reasonable travelling distance and asked the same question. They all replied with a NO. Does this mean that there isn't the finances to provide access or is it a lack of understanding. There are many people who are either disabled or cannot for one reason or another find using stairs difficult.

General access has improved over the years but it seems the AV high street outlets are being left behind.

Gripe? Me, never. . .

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, if you'd like to tell us where in the country you are, maybe an enlightened retailer will post on here and help you by providing such access.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Understood. Over to you, retailers...

By the way, just checked the websites of all the big chains, and none of them makes any reference to disabled access in their store information, which I find quite surprising.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I am surprised. I know a very small number of dealers located on higher floors but most are ground level shops. Much more convenient for customers and hieving around heavy products. The worst obstacle there usually is a slightly raised level entrance or door frame, parking aside and with a little help should be easily overcome for a disabled person.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Indeed. Look at the bright side though, I am 6.3" (and fit I might add
emotion-2.gif
) and have one hell of a problem to find good fitting label jeans. Not happy either ... in fact I'm really pxxxxx off sometimes ...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="drummerman"]Indeed. Look at the bright side though, I am 6.3" (and fit I might add
emotion-2.gif
) and have one hell of a problem to find good fitting label jeans. Not happy either ... in fact I'm really pxxxxx off sometimes ...[/quote]

That by the way is not meant as an insult to you or your girlfriend. Its simply that there will always be some minority (rather less important in my case admittedly) that is unfortunately not always catered for. Should'nt be but is.

No, I've just done the same. Just as an after thought, this won't solve the access problem, I know, but I contacted Whf before Xmas requesting Reader's rescue and gave all mt details incl the wheelchair and no one replied, despite giving my details. Would it be possible, given the circumstances, Andrew?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Great topic - i have a personal interest in this too (tho im afraid im not a dealer). its a tough one tho, as theyll probably think "well, there arent that many wheelchair users...". And, on a pure financial basis, it has to be said that losing my custom wont ruin them, but it also wont endear me to them, and that could have consequences for them, especially in my feedback to friends and family. again tho, they probably dont care, so as i say, its a toughy...

Yes, absolutely. I've been with my partner for ten years so I know the barriers and attitudes of some sections of society. Last week I asked for advice on an amp upgrade, I was told to try Creek, Audiolab and Marantz and within my catchment area, there isn't a single dealer who carries all three makes. This means covering a lot of tarmac to try and puchase one amp.

I wish I was a Jack Russell. . .
emotion-42.gif

A

Anonymous

I visited a dealer (out of business now) with a sidewalk front door and a terribly cramped showroom, he had some steps inside too, but he had these simple wooden ramps he'd made himself sitting by both obstacles, he would just throw them down if he needed to. Not ideal I know but it couldn't have costed him much.

I'm visualizing a sketch from the late, great Kenny Everett (don't remember the character name) where he was spoofing the D.I.Y. programmes of the day, chopping fingers etc. off. But seriously folks it proves what could be achieved with a little conviction and an even smaller budget.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
Morning, please don't ask me how I remembered this, I just plucked it out of thin air! But the character you're referring to is Reg Prescott. Have a look at this YouTube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF14UmhMPEY

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="plastic penguin"]
No, I've just done the same. Just as an after thought, this won't solve the access problem, I know, but I contacted Whf before Xmas requesting Reader's rescue and gave all mt details incl the wheelchair and no one replied, despite giving my details. Would it be possible, given the circumstances, Andrew?[/quote]

I don't organise the Rescues, but mail me again at the usual address and I'll make sure it gets to the appropriate people.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="raypalmer"]I visited a dealer (out of business now) with a sidewalk front door and a terribly cramped showroom, he had some steps inside too, but he had these simple wooden ramps he'd made himself sitting by both obstacles, he would just throw them down if he needed to. Not ideal I know but it couldn't have costed him much.[/quote]

I'm an optician, and we have wheelchair users as patients, its so simple to make a simple wooden ramp for the access of wheelchair users, I think that ours cost about £30, form a local chippy.

After all its good business, the disabled persons money is as good as anyones...

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
There are laws in place to ensure disabled access to all public buildings as part of an "inclusive society". If you cannot gain access to a building in a wheelchair it is in contravention of the DDA (Disablity Discrcimination Act) and it is within your rights to take legal action. Building Regulations (Part R in Northern Ireland) set out requirements for ramped access to a level threshold - if the main entrance of an existing building is unsuitable for modification due to levels etc then a secondary access for wheelchair users will suffice as long as level access is provided.

It may be worth contacting your local disablilty action group if you want to take this further.

Thanks Drummerdave, we are well aware of the laws and I completely agree with you. However, I believe that its about educating rather than complaining. I'm sure you understand it's not exclusive to 1 type of shop or business, it crosses a broad spectrum. . .and to be honest with you, if I was to complain about a certain business, then I'll probably spend most of my time whinging about other areas where wheelchairs have difficulty accsessing. As I said it's hoping that certain retailers take notice restore parity.

After a lengthy conversation with Audio-T, he agrees that more should be done for wheelchairs. Since I highlighted the subject of wheelchairs I am horrified that to discover that we would have to do a sixty mile round trip to listen to an amplifier. Or am I wrong?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts